Eternal Darkness successor in the works, needs support via Crowd Funding

Ryufushichou

I'm Not British, I'm Just Gay!
Trophies
XP
Country
The fact that Denis Dyack was the one who directed the first one, all those people quoting that as a reason not to get it are complaining for nothing -.- I hope this gets made, the first one was amazing.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to clarify, Silicon Knights did make the first Eternal Darkness And for everyone saying that Denis Dyack is a reason not to buy this, he was Director on the first one -.- Do your homework guys.

As if people weren't aware of this?

The problem isn't Eternal Darkness, it's what Denis Dyak made afterward (along with his sort of meltdown over the whole thing). The Denis Dyack of today is not the Denis Dyack of 2003 (for similar comparison - George Lucas of the 70s and 80s vs. George Lucas of the present).

Making a good game, no matter how good it is, doesn't give you a lifetime pass of goodwill. That is something that must be continually earned and maintained, and Dyack dropped the ball. Skepticism is the right approach here.[/quote]

Ryufushichou

I'm Not British, I'm Just Gay!
Trophies
XP
Country
As if people weren't aware of this?

The problem isn't Eternal Darkness, it's what Denis Dyak made afterward (along with his sort of meltdown over the whole thing). The Denis Dyack of today is not the Denis Dyack of 2003 (for similar comparison - George Lucas of the 70s and 80s vs. George Lucas of the present).

Making a good game, no matter how good it is, doesn't give you a lifetime pass of goodwill. That is something that must be continually earned and maintained, and Dyack dropped the ball. Skepticism is the right approach here.
You do make a good point, but as writers have different styles, so do game directors, just because he directed 2 bad games in completely different genre's, doesn't mean he can't still direct a decent horror game.

I'm not saying that Skepticism isn't the right approach, but its like me saying that the next game by gearbox will be bad because of Aliens Colonial Marines and Duke Nukem Forever.

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You do make a good point, but as writers have different styles, so do game directors, just because he directed 2 bad games in completely different genre's, doesn't mean he can't still direct a decent horror game.

I'm not saying that Skepticism isn't the right approach, but its like me saying that the next game by gearbox will be bad because of Aliens Colonial Marines and Duke Nukem Forever.
no. Nintendo was deemed "oppressive" by this man and the only reason why ED was good was because Nintendo was very involved in making the game. Also add that the sanity engine (or whatever it's called) is a Nintendo copyright, and you have a generic horror game that has a high chance of being nothing like ED or even enjoyable.

I hope the wiiU gets a real sequel. Maybe a retro studio effort?

Suicide

'Nuff said...
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't support a game that expects over $1 million to create just the first episode of a planned twelve episodic game.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can't support a game that expects over $1 million to create just the first episode of a planned twelve episodic game.

Though there might be accountants willing to try it I must also mention that game engines do not do well if you kind of half make them and tart them up as you go along, unlike TV shows, films, books and most other creative endeavours.

As for the matter at hand I liked the game (I even own a copy) but I am not gagging to see a new one. Frictional Games (Penumbra and Amnesia) have kind of taken over from them as far as I am concerned.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The crowdfunding campaign starts in exactly 3 hours and 5 minutes, I'll update the thread with any new info that might surface once it does. ;)

D

Deleted_171835

Coming to the Wii U and PC and is using CryENGINE.

Canadian Developer Precursor Games Launches Crowd-funding Campaign for “Shadow of the Eternals”

Hamilton, Ontario – May 6th 2013 – Precursor Games today unveils its debut project Shadow of the Eternals. Developed by the creators of the critically acclaimed Eternal Darkness: Sanity’s Requiem, Shadow of the Eternals is an episodic action/adventure game that is likely to gain the attention of gamers everywhere.

Featuring an ensemble cast, Shadow of the Eternals will span over 2500 years of human history. Players will question their own perception of reality as they progress through this mind-altering psychological horror. The Pilot Episode is slated for release Q3 2014 on the Nintendo Wii U and PC.

The emerging studio is taking crowdfunding to the next level by giving the community the ability to contribute content to the game. Precursor Games has also revealed a campaign video and rewards tier system to go with their 1.5 million dollar goal, including pre-orders and exclusive merchandise.

“Precursor Games intends to leave no stone unturned in order to create an unparalleled experience for gamers”, said Paul Caporicci, CEO of Precursor Games. “We have a talented team, incredible technology with CryENGINE and a new business model where we directly integrate the fan base into the development process, allowing for new possibilities and game direction. We are very excited to see where this new direction leads.”

The Shadow of the Eternals crowd-funding campaign is can be found at www.ShadowOfTheEternals.com.
http://www.precursorgames.com/shadowoftheeternals/

Reactions: Foxi4

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a lot in 30 days. At least they keep the money they do get.
If the game is good and all is successful, I hope they release all the episodes on a disc in the future.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @K3Nv2, try SanDisk format tool?