Gaming [Essentials] 3DS Retail Games

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude, it came out in 2010 :P

Which, isn't very long in terms of a remake really. So, I didn't know if the 3ds version would really add anything I couldn't get on the Wii version for free, especially with it being a 2d game. It's not like say, Zelda or Star Fox that have obvious improvements at a glance.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Which, isn't very long in terms of a remake really. So, I didn't know if the 3ds version would really add anything I couldn't get on the Wii version for free, especially with it being a 2d game. It's not like say, Zelda or Star Fox that have obvious improvements at a glance.
It's not a remake, it's a port. It's the exact same game with worse frame rate and visuals, plus an easy mode and a few extra levels, but that's it.

Seriously, I'm kind of annoyed that they didn't just make it an all new game. They would've just had to make all new levels and maybe polish a few things, and that's it.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Bought the DKC Return because I thought the control would be much better than the Wiimote "shake shake" a lot set up. That Circle Pad set is just awkward when I realised that it required you to use the shoulder button to pick up barrels when I was already used to, "run towards barrel while holding button to pick it up". Changing to D pad set up returned it to a familiar set up but now I can't use the circle pad. Overall, it's an impressive port but it does take a hit to the graphics compared to the Wii version.

mysticwaterfall

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not a remake, it's a port. It's the exact same game with worse frame rate and visuals, plus an easy mode and a few extra levels, but that's it.

Seriously, I'm kind of annoyed that they didn't just make it an all new game. They would've just had to make all new levels and maybe polish a few things, and that's it.

I think the 3d is actually preatty impressive on it, certainly the best for a 2d/2.5d game. The controls are certainly a lot better. At the same time, I can see how if you already beat the Wii version it wouldn't add too much. I never really got into it though.

I can also see your point how they could have used the same engine and made new levels, but I personally am happy with it and will be getting it sometime in the future. Makes me glad to have a save dongle.

TripleSMoon

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I think the 3d is actually preatty impressive on it, certainly the best for a 2d/2.5d game. The controls are certainly a lot better. At the same time, I can see how if you already beat the Wii version it wouldn't add too much. I never really got into it though.

I can also see your point how they could have used the same engine and made new levels, but I personally am happy with it and will be getting it sometime in the future. Makes me glad to have a save dongle.
I actually ended up buying the Wii version new just a couple weeks ago, because my girlfriend and I wanted to play co-op (the original Donkey Kong Country was her first video game, and she absolutely loves the series). And of course, it was $30 to play co-op on the big screen, versus $70 for two 3DS copies to play co-op on the small screen, and we chose the former. :P

I can imagine the controls on the 3DS version are loads better, though. Seriously, the "shake to roll" bit is the single flaw I find with the Wii version of the game so far. Would it really have been so hard for them to add classic controller support, rather than forcing shoehorned motion controls down the player's throat?

Now if Nintendo finally introduced a cross-play thing like Sony did with the PS3/Vita to sync your saves between the two versions on the go, THEN I might be convinced to get the 3DS version. XD

avran89

ALWB 4 LIFE!!! MOOSE!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
+1 Animal Crossing New Leaf
+1 Luigi's mansion
+1 Fire Emblem Awakening
+1 New Super Mario Bros 2
+1 Kid Icarus
+1 Ace Combat Assault Horizon
+1 Paper Mario Sticker Star
+1 Resident Evil Revelations
+1 Super Mario 3D Land

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
+1 Rhythm Thief
+1 Cave Story 3D
+1 Tales of the Abyss
+1 Mario Kart 7
+1 Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D
+1 Super Mario 3D Land
+1 Kid Icarus Uprising

Really surprised Rhythm Thief doesn't have more votes. It's an excellent game.

CandiceYaacobi

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
+1 Mario Kart 7
+1 Resident Evil Revelations
+1 New Super Mario Bros. 2
+1 Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity
+1 Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
+1 Scribblenauts Unlimited 3D
+1 Super Mario Land 3D

mysticwaterfall

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
+1 Rhythm Thief
Really surprised Rhythm Thief doesn't have more votes. It's an excellent game.

The thing that always turned me off about it in the demo was you could be perfect for 99% of the song, then miss 3 notes or so at the end and go from A to C or D. A little too unforgiving for me, I cant think of a single other rhythm game like that.

donelwero

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
+1 Fire Emblem: Awakening
+1 Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
+1 Kid Icarus: Uprising
+1 Mario Kart 7
+1 Resident Evil: Revelations
+1 Monster Hunter 3
+1 Etrian Odyssey 4: Legends of the Titan
+1 Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
+1 Castlevania Lords Of Shadow: Mirror of Fate

And I think those are the best atm. I would vote for Ocarina Of time 3d but, I just didn't really liked it. I mean, the game was awesome on the N64 and I loved it but, it didn't feel the same for me on the 3DS.

TripleSMoon

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I would vote for Ocarina Of time 3d but, I just didn't really liked it. I mean, the game was awesome on the N64 and I loved it but, it didn't feel the same for me on the 3DS.
The only thing I wish OoT 3D added was an "original mode" with the N64 graphics. That would have been so cool!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol