CaitlinL13579

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello,

I have a Homebrewed 3DS and I have it set up through Sub Wars/Steelhax.

Yesterday, every time I would click on Steelhax to open Homebrew, it would not load and would keep giving me the following error message: “An error has occurred. Please save your data in any software in use, then restart the system."

There was a system update prompt, could that be why? It is now version 11.17.0-50U, if that helps any.

I didn’t have any other software open.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!! :)

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Reactions: Kwyjor and Tokiwa

CaitlinL13579

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Assuming this is about userland homebrew only: You might need a new otherapp.bin file.

https://3ds.hacks.guide/assets/otherapps.zip

If you have CFW installed, please start the HB Launcher with Rosalina injection.
That worked for me. Now when I open Steelhax, and open Homebrew, every time I go to choose an app in Homebrew, it goes to a red screen and stays there. Any advice on what I should do next? Because I tried to get it to boot about 10 times in a row.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That worked for me. Now when I open Steelhax, and open Homebrew, every time I go to choose an app in Homebrew, it goes to a red screen and stays there. Any advice on what I should do next
What exactly are you trying to run? The only things that will reliably run that way are an old version of JKSM and Anemone. Some other things will run if you mess with XML targeting, but FBI and Checkpoint are right out.

That's not new; homebrew has worked that way for years. Most people just install b9s+Luma instead.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Alpha Omega Creator.
I've never heard of that before. It appears to be many years old and no longer supported? Perhaps you could provide a link to exactly where you were reading about it?

I suspect there's nothing it can do that is much more easily done with PKSM.

Last edited by Kwyjor,

CaitlinL13579

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've never heard of that before. It appears to be many years old and no longer supported? Perhaps you could provide a link to exactly where you were reading about it?

I suspect there's nothing it can do that is much more easily done with PKSM.
Alpha Omega Creator is the app I was trying to open/run through Homebrew, it’s an app for creating Pokémon. Unfortunately, I do not have a link. I wanted to create as many Pokémon as possible before PokeBank closes, unless there’s (hopefully) an alternative PokeBank through Homebrew. If there’s an alternative PokeBank through Homebrew, I won’t have to worry about when PokeBank closes.

a_username_that_isnt_cool

Well-Hated Member (Also)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alpha Omega Creator is the app I was trying to open/run through Homebrew, it’s an app for creating Pokémon. Unfortunately, I do not have a link. I wanted to create as many Pokémon as possible before PokeBank closes, unless there’s (hopefully) an alternative PokeBank through Homebrew. If there’s an alternative PokeBank through Homebrew, I won’t have to worry about when PokeBank closes.
I can't help you with that problem, but can you install custom firmware? It probably will fix that error.

CaitlinL13579

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Here is a picture of my SD Card, which would probably be helpful. Should I edit and/or change anything?
Screenshot 2023-07-01 105600.png

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Alpha Omega Creator is the app I was trying to open/run through Homebrew, it’s an app for creating Pokémon. Unfortunately, I do not have a link.
Well, like I said: from a few minutes of Googling, it appears to be many years old and no longer supported. (I think it even pre-dates b9s+Luma.) It seems that people didn't really like it even when it was released. In the absence of any documentation I see no reason why you should even try to run it.

I wanted to create as many Pokémon as possible before PokeBank closes, unless there’s (hopefully) an alternative PokeBank through Homebrew. If there’s an alternative PokeBank through Homebrew, I won’t have to worry about when PokeBank closes.
I hope you realize there are hundreds of thousands of people out there with similar concerns..?

Pretty much everyone uses PKSM and/or pkhex now. PKSM runs on a 3DS and you will need to install b9s+Luma before you can run it. pkhex runs on a PC and works with save data exported from a 3DS; the save data has to be imported again after it is altered with pkhex. You don't really need b9s+Luma just to export save data, but pretty much everyone just installs b9s+Luma anyway.

Here is a picture of my SD Card, which would probably be helpful.
Not really. I see you have boot.firm, but if you didn't actually install b9s+Luma, that's not going to do anything on its own. And since you're running the Homebrew Launcher through steelhax, you don't have b9s+Luma. Steelhax stops working after b9s+Luma is installed; with b9s+Luma, the Homebrew Launcher is accessed a different way.

In fact, it looks like you just copied a bunch of random stuff to your SD card without knowing what it was supposed to do. (And I have no idea why your .3dsx file is associated with Adobe!?) You can install b9s+Luma via steelhax by following https://3ds.hacks.guide/installing-boot9strap-(hbl-usm) . Don't follow video guides.

Last edited by Kwyjor,

CaitlinL13579

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, like I said: from a few minutes of Googling, it appears to be many years old and no longer supported. (I think it even pre-dates b9s+Luma.) It seems that people didn't really like it even when it was released. In the absence of any documentation I see no reason why you should even try to run it.

I hope you realize there are hundreds of thousands of people out there with similar concerns..?

Pretty much everyone uses PKSM and/or pkhex now. PKSM runs on a 3DS and you will need to install b9s+Luma before you can run it. pkhex runs on a PC and works with save data exported from a 3DS; the save data has to be imported again after it is altered with pkhex. You don't really need b9s+Luma just to export save data, but pretty much everyone just installs b9s+Luma anyway.

Not really. I see you have boot.firm, but if you didn't actually install b9s+Luma, that's not going to do anything on its own. And since you're running the Homebrew Launcher through steelhax, you don't have b9s+Luma. Steelhax stops working after b9s+Luma is installed; with b9s+Luma, the Homebrew Launcher is accessed a different way.

In fact, it looks like you just copied a bunch of random stuff to your SD card without knowing what it was supposed to do. (And I have no idea why your .3dsx file is associated with Adobe!?) You can install b9s+Luma via steelhax by following https://3ds.hacks.guide/installing-boot9strap-(hbl-usm) . Don't follow video guides.
I clicked the link you provided https://3ds.hacks.guide/installing-boot9strap-(hbl-usm) .I'm now oWith your console still powered off, hold the following buttons: (Left Shoulder) + (Right Shoulder) + (D-Pad Up) + (A), and while holding these buttons together, power on your console

I clicked on https://3ds.hacks.guide/installing-boot9strap-(hbl-usm). I did the prep work, and I'm now on Section II - unSAFE_MODE.

I followed this:

1. With your console still powered off, hold the following buttons: (Left Shoulder) + (Right Shoulder) + (D-Pad Up) + (A), and while holding these buttons together, power on your console
  • Keep holding the buttons until the console boots into Safe Mode (a “system update” menu)
However, it just booted to Home Menu. I also tried both holding the power button and just clicking it once (as it was not clear about the power button).
Post automatically merged:

I clicked on the link. Where do I download it? I'm such a noob XD

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I clicked the link you provided https://3ds.hacks.guide/installing-boot9strap-(hbl-usm) .I'm now oWith your console still powered off, hold the following buttons: (Left Shoulder) + (Right Shoulder) + (D-Pad Up) + (A), and while holding these buttons together, power on your console

I clicked on https://3ds.hacks.guide/installing-boot9strap-(hbl-usm). I did the prep work, and I'm now on Section II - unSAFE_MODE.

I followed this:

1. With your console still powered off, hold the following buttons: (Left Shoulder) + (Right Shoulder) + (D-Pad Up) + (A), and while holding these buttons together, power on your console
  • Keep holding the buttons until the console boots into Safe Mode (a “system update” menu)
However, it just booted to Home Menu. I also tried both holding the power button and just clicking it once (as it was not clear about the power button).
Post automatically merged:

I clicked on the link. Where do I download it? I'm such a noob XD
If ya have universal installer on your console. Thats a good place to grab PKSM from aswell.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Are you sure your L and R buttons are functioning correctly? I perhaps should have directed you to the previous step.
https://3ds.hacks.guide/homebrew-launcher-(steelhax)#section-iii---hardware-button-check

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, booting into Safe Mode is stock functionality. There is no reason it shouldn't be working if you are following the instructions and the buttons are functional.

Regardless, you can try Frogtool instead, as discussed at that link.

CaitlinL13579

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello,

I have a Homebrewed 3DS and I have it set up through Sub Wars/Steelhax.

Yesterday, every time I would click on Steelhax to open Homebrew, it would not load and would keep giving me the following error message: “An error has occurred. Please save your data in any software in use, then restart the system."

There was a system update prompt, could that be why? It is now version 11.17.0-50U, if that helps any.

I didn’t have any other software open.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!! :)
Thanks for the help guys! I got it working!! :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: LMAO