Hacking Error Code 028-3136 after completing System Transfer

Platinum Lucario

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Okay, just recently I was trying to do a System Transfer from my New 3DS data on an emuNAND to another New 3DS on it's sysNAND, while I was using Luma3DS on the source New 3DS.

How did it turn out? Not so good, unfortunately...

The System Transfer actually copied the data from my New 3DS's sysNAND rather than the data from the system's emuNAND. My system was on 11.5.0, so I'm pretty sure there might be something in the firmware that might actually be checking from the system's NAND, rather than the SD card. Unless this has been a problem with Luma3DS since the very beginning.

I noticed something was wrong when I noticed Error Code 028-3136 after completing the System Transfer.

If anyone is using Luma3DS, don't use an emuNAND while doing a System Transfer, it will screw up your data transfer process and transfer the data from your sysNAND instead. Unless this issue can be fixed in the future, please refrain from doing a System Transfer from an emuNAND on Luma3DS, as it doesn't correctly transfer the data as it should. I'm gonna check and see if my NNID and eShop data are still intact on my source New 3DS.

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, just recently I was trying to do a System Transfer from my New 3DS data on an emuNAND to another New 3DS on it's sysNAND, while I was using Luma3DS on the source New 3DS.

How did it turn out? Not so good, unfortunately...

The System Transfer actually copied the data from my New 3DS's sysNAND rather than the data from the system's emuNAND. My system was on 11.5.0, so I'm pretty sure there might be something in the firmware that might actually be checking from the system's NAND, rather than the SD card. Unless this has been a problem with Luma3DS since the very beginning.

I noticed something was wrong when I noticed Error Code 028-3136 after completing the System Transfer.

If anyone is using Luma3DS, don't use an emuNAND while doing a System Transfer, it will screw up your data transfer process and transfer the data from your sysNAND instead. Unless this issue can be fixed in the future, please refrain from doing a System Transfer from an emuNAND on Luma3DS, as it doesn't correctly transfer the data as it should. I'm gonna check and see if my NNID and eShop data are still intact on my source New 3DS.
Should you not of looked at moving the emunand to sysnand with the guide before doing a transfer? Emunands are user set so it would be logical that only a sysnand would be transfered over when one is done.

Platinum Lucario

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Should you not of looked at moving the emunand to sysnand with the guide before doing a transfer? Emunands are user set so it would be logical that only a sysnand would be transfered over when one is done.
I honestly thought the process was the same as it was in the past, but apparently not...

Also... as unfortunate as it is, I can no longer login to my NNID on my source system, it says that I cannot use my NNID on my system.

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly thought the process was the same as it was in the past, but apparently not...

Also... as unfortunate as it is, I can no longer login to my NNID on my source system, it says that I cannot use my NNID on my system.
So, log in to it on the target system. What's the problem?

For the record, Luma shouldn't have any issues transferring an EmuNAND, but it's mostly a moot point besides legit games and their saves anyway. Were you trying to do a DSiWarehax transfer or something?

Platinum Lucario

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
So, log in to it on the target system. What's the problem?

For the record, Luma shouldn't have any issues transferring an EmuNAND, but it's mostly a moot point besides legit games and their saves anyway. Were you trying to do a DSiWarehax transfer or something?
Nope, I was just trying to do a System Transfer to a different New Nintendo 3DS system. I had no idea that I can't do emuNAND (source) to sysNAND (target). Also, the guide doesn't even say anything about not to do emuNAND to sysNAND. I was shocked to know only my NNID got transferred, but instead transferred the stuff from the emuNAND (in which I don't have any NNID linked to. Even though I did a System Transfer through emuNAND. I think this is a bug in Luma3DS

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All NNIDs transfer from the source system to the target system regardless. If this was a bug with Luma, I think more people would have ran into it by now. As I said, Luma should work fine for transferring from EmuNAND.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
You can transfer from emuNAND, I had to do it a long time ago when we were limited to 9.5 firmware on emuNAND on N3DS and I had to downgrade both consoles (did old 3DS XL -> N3DSXL). Maybe what happened is you exited from System Settings and went back into it, and the console reset itself and went back to sysNAND? Modern Luma has protection against going back to sysNAND after exiting System Settings but if you are using an older one....

Platinum Lucario

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
All NNIDs transfer from the source system to the target system regardless. If this was a bug with Luma, I think more people would have ran into it by now. As I said, Luma should work fine for transferring from EmuNAND.
Yeah, but the really odd thing is, it transferred the SD Card contents of the sysNAND, rather than the SD Card contents of the emuNAND.

Now that my source system says that I can't use my Nintendo Network ID on this system, even though I unlinked it on the target system, how can I get it back onto the source system?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Yeah, but the really odd thing is, it transferred the SD Card contents of the sysNAND, rather than the SD Card contents of the emuNAND.

Now that my source system says that I can't use my Nintendo Network ID on this system, even though I unlinked it on the target system, how can I get it back onto the source system?
You have to transfer back. Links between NNIDs and consoles are stored server-side so you can't do anything about it by restoring stuff etc. As far as the servers are concerned, the target now owns the NNID even if you aren't signed in (one console can own many NNIDs).

Last edited by Quantumcat,

Platinum Lucario

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
You can transfer from emuNAND, I had to do it a long time ago when we were limited to 9.5 firmware on emuNAND on N3DS and I had to downgrade both consoles (did old 3DS XL -> N3DSXL). Maybe what happened is you exited from System Settings and went back into it, and the console reset itself and went back to sysNAND? Modern Luma has protection against going back to sysNAND after exiting System Settings but if you are using an older one....
And nope, I didn't exit from System Settings and went back into it. Looks to me like this bug is quite recent.

You have to transfer back. Links between NNIDs and consoles are stored server-side so you can't do anything about it by restoring stuff etc. As far as the servers are concerned, the target now owns the NNID even if you aren't signed in (one console can own many NNIDs).
Ah I see, so I have to do a System Transfer back, even if I formatted the target system? So formatting still keeps the system tied to the NNID?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Ah I see, so I have to do a System Transfer back, even if I formatted the target system? So formatting still keeps the system tied to the NNID?
Yes, formatting only signs you out so you can log into another NNID the console owns or make a new one. When you transfer, every NNID owned is changed to being owned by the target, it won't matter which one you are currently signed in with.

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only way for an NNID to no longer be tied to the system is to transfer from that system (or by contacting Nintendo and having them unlink it). And all NNIDs move systems on a transfer, whether they were logged in or not.

Platinum Lucario

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yes, formatting only signs you out so you can log into another NNID the console owns or make a new one. When you transfer, every NNID owned is changed to being owned by the target, it won't matter which one you are currently signed in with.

The only way for an NNID to no longer be tied to the system is to transfer from that system (or by contacting Nintendo and having them unlink it). And all NNIDs move systems on a transfer, whether they were logged in or not.
Okay then, I'll wait until next week (the day when I'll be able to transfer again), then I'll transfer it back. Then the week after, I'll put my emuNAND onto my sysNAND before doing a System Transfer, to ensure that bug doesn't occur again, then I'll do a System Transfer.

Reactions: Quantumcat

Platinum Lucario

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Or, you could:
  1. Format the target
  2. Move emuNAND to sysNAND on the source
  3. Wait seven days
  4. Transfer to the target (so your data is moved)
  5. Sign back into the NNID
I have already formatted the target system. So I'm ready for next week. And I know this process is going to take two weeks in order to get my system fully onto a fresh New 3DS, along with all of it's data.

I wasn't aware of any new bug in Luma3DS until today. So I'll definitely take precautions in future. I really gotta hope in the next two weeks that Nintendo doesn't patch out the exploit on their server, used for evading Friend Service bans. Otherwise, I'm gonna be totally screwed.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I don't think there's any bug, I've never heard of this happening before. It's more likely you did something without realising it. But anyway, it's good that you have a way to fix it :-)

Also, it won't take two weeks. You only have to do one transfer - to get the data from the source onto the target, since the NNID was already moved.

Platinum Lucario

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I don't think there's any bug, I've never heard of this happening before. It's more likely you did something without realising it. But anyway, it's good that you have a way to fix it :-)

Also, it won't take two weeks. You only have to do one transfer - to get the data from the source onto the target, since the NNID was already moved.
Also, will my eShop purchase history that I once had on it still be there? Or will it have all been deleted from linking it to a different console?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Your purchase history is linked to your NNID I believe. Even if it isn't, after the second transfer your data will be back on the target console along with the NNID (assuming you restore the pre-transfer NAND backup and SD backup) - so however it is stored it will be on the target.

Platinum Lucario

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Now I'm getting a new error code when attempting to transfer from my 3DS system, it is 014-0062.

I have kept trying again and again and again. This error code keeps getting in the way, won't even let me go any further. It happens right after I've signed into my NNID, then it comes up with "Connecting to the internet", then pops up with error code 014-0062.

Last edited by Platinum Lucario,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Oj did the Dj