Lelouch

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
hi, so the last pokemon game I played was yellow/gold for the gameboy a long time ago. What one should I be playing next? I was thinking about playing diamond but that's one of the newer ones right?

thanks

brissmas

Trophies
XP
Country
Yep Diamonds one of the newer ones. The next ones after Yellow are Gold and Silver which are being remade on the DS and youve alredy played Gold. The ones after that are Emerald, Ruby and Saphire which are on GBA. But if your looking for DS games Pokemin Diamond, Pearl and Platinum are after those. Hope i helped.

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
All Pokemon games are very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very similar to each other.

If you skip around, I think you won't even notice.

JDandy

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
BortzANATOR said:
All that basic concepts are there in every game. RBY were the base games.

No, G/S/C were the base games. Everything after Crystal was based on gen 2, not RBY. Everything used gen 2's backpack, types, interface etc. RBY were just the unrefined predecessors to the real deal.

spm12

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
brissmas said:
Yep Diamonds one of the newer ones. The next ones after Yellow are Gold and Silver which are being remade on the DS and youve alredy played Gold. The ones after that are Emerald, Ruby and Saphire which are on GBA. But if your looking for DS games Pokemin Diamond, Pearl and Platinum are after those. Hope i helped.
i beg to differ.... yea the gameplay is almost the same but from yellow to diamond its a big gap.... u try to play pokemon blue after diamond.... u just cant do it

wazzzza

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
spm12 said:
brissmas said:
i beg to differ.... yea the gameplay is almost the same but from yellow to diamond its a big gap.... u try to play pokemon blue after diamond.... u just cant do it

actually i did that...i succeeded =]
but uhmm after that i decided to play ruby and gold on an emulator and uhmm i liked gold but didn't like ruby that much

PettingZoo

yesss
Trophies
Website
iancoulton.com
XP
Country
Eh, I love pokemon red and played it to death and sometimes still go back and play it to catch pokemon in the pokemon safari, though after that I had played from silver to then ruby (which was damn excellent) and after ruby tried to get into diamond/pearl and found it a bit hard. If I were you from coming out of playing yellow and gold then I would go and play ruby as it keeps the same type of aspects as the previous games though revamped and some new features added whereas if you go onto play one of the pokemon games on the DS it still has the same aspects and you can get into it but in my opinion it is quite different.
Long story short, I'd go play Ruby and explore the Hoenn region before venturing into Sinnoh.

josking

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well for me, I played Pokemon (From RBY to RSE) by order.
biggrin.gif
So when I played Diamond, it didn't make much of a difference. I also think that playing Pokemon Crystal 5 times helped me, really.

I really didn't like RSE but I still played it two times. And I think it helped me be familiar with the new types.

Play one from each generation so you'll get used to the Pokemon species. Then buy Plat, or your choice.
smile.gif

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love how people say "Pokemon games are so similar they're so dumb" yet they won't even acknowledge the fact that the same deal is with most RPG series. Final Fantasy? Same battle system for the first 3 games, and then the ATB system for twice that time (or around that). Golden Sun? 1 and 2 are IDENTICAL in gameplay, just a different storyline. Yet I don't so those series getting bashed. People only bash Pokemon because it was marketed to kids and marketed well enough that it became a larger franchise than Golden Sun or Final Fantasy will ever be.

Anyway, I'd say do 3rd Generation games, then do 4th Gen. Although I think R/S/E are the worst in the franchise, they're still a lot of fun.

Rogue Trader

Trophies
XP
Country
They're all pretty good, so you'll probably be happy enough whichever you play. I'd go for one of the newer ones- either Emerald or Platinum, as FR/LG are pretty much the same as Yellow (although a trip down memory lane?).

Emerald or Platinum will set you up nicely for Heart Gold/Soul Silver as well. You could easily do them both in time for the release, and then move on to that.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can Try playing The NDS games of Pokemon...such as Pokemon Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum. There are also 2 More NDS Games, the Pokemon Heart Gold/ Soul Silver one but that didn't come out in the US yet. You can try patches on it and be able to play Part of the game. ._.

Oh Really?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
I love how people say "Pokemon games are so similar they're so dumb" yet they won't even acknowledge the fact that the same deal is with most RPG series. Final Fantasy? Same battle system for the first 3 games, and then the ATB system for twice that time (or around that). Golden Sun? 1 and 2 are IDENTICAL in gameplay, just a different storyline. Yet I don't so those series getting bashed. People only bash Pokemon because it was marketed to kids and marketed well enough that it became a larger franchise than Golden Sun or Final Fantasy will ever be.

Anyway, I'd say do 3rd Generation games, then do 4th Gen. Although I think R/S/E are the worst in the franchise, they're still a lot of fun.

I'm going to have to disagree. This is what I think:
People say Pokemon games are similar because of the story similarities. (Move to town, get either a Fire, Water, or Grass Pokemon from professor *insert tree name here*, beat gyms, beat the "Team Rocket" of the game, beat E4.) Basically, in a nutshell, that's all it is for EVERY game, plus they add a few twists/more pokemon here and there.
Sure, with Final Fantasy, you could say the battle system has been the same, but the thing is, it has a unique storyline with different plot/characters for each one. I can't comment on Golden Sun, since I only played like an hour of the first one and quit, but you are basically agreeing with me. "Identical in gameplay just a different storyline. Isn't that what the main point of an RPG is? The storyline? Going with your logic, you could say that every single turn based RPG is the same because they are turn based. Hope this makes sense
-My opinion

edit: oh yeah, the thing that turned me off about the ds pokemon games was that the battles are wayyy too slow paced, and I'm not a patient person

Velveteer

Trophies
XP
Country
I wouldn't say the battle system is slow, by any means. Turn-based lets you pace is however you want. You can turn off attack effects and set text speed to fast, and it's much quicker. Also, check out the gamecube games, the story is quite different.

In the end, considering there is still a MASSIVE fanbase for the games, they might as well stick with a similar formula than to run change it and piss off people like me, who like it as it is.

I honestly think it's difficult to play the games out of order. Each new generation brings something that is hard to get rid of. Heck, everything pre-DP has the old type-based split for Physical and Special attacks, so it seems rather archaic, considering you can't use several pokemon as effectively, due to the lack of a decent STAB attack. See: Gyarados, Gengar.

I'd play them in order, although Emerald and FR/LG are interchangeable in that respect. They're the same thing with a different storyline. If you want some sort of familiarity, you could start on FRLG and move onto Emerald, then 4th Gen.

If you're still keen, I'd suggest looking into the competitive scene. That gives it a lot more life, and makes you appreciate just how perfect the battle system really is.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Take it from a true PokeFan, play Crystal next.
It's for the Gameboy Colour, but you should be able to find it.

It's best to play them in order of series release. In which case, the combo game is probably the best choice.

Lelouch

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for all the replies everyone
smile.gif
. I decided to go with Diamond. I have one question though, will I be able to find/catch pokemon like: Charmander, Pikachu, Mew, Mewtwo, Ho-Oh, Lugia etc? So far I only have 6 pokemon and I only recognize a few of them. Thx everyone.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lelouch said:
smile.gif
. I decided to go with Diamond. I have one question though, will I be able to find/catch pokemon like: Charmander, Pikachu, Mew, Mewtwo, Ho-Oh, Lugia etc? So far I only have 6 pokemon and I only recognize a few of them. Thx everyone.

You can get all of those (outside of Mew, possibly) in HG/SS.

Lelouch

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
Lelouch said:
smile.gif

You can get all of those (outside of Mew, possibly) in HG/SS.

I see, I can't get any of the older ones in Diamond?

e1; Hmm, I've been reading what pokemon I can't obtain in diamond/pearl and it seems like the ones I want the most I have to migrate from FireRed and LeafGreen. I think I'm going to try one of those games.
e2; I won't be able to migrate the pokemon from the gba game to ds game unless I actually bought the game huh?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-