Err a little concerned...

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Tom Bombadildo, Apr 6, 2012.

Apr 6, 2012
  1. Tom Bombadildo
    OP

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    Been using my PS Vita quite a lot recently and I noticed something...concerning. At night when Im playing whatever and a black loading screen comes up, I see what looks to be evidence of a cracked screen underneath the touchscreen. I can't really get an image to show you guys, but here is what it basically looks like: [​IMG]
    (just pretend those red streaks are black and it's on the screen not the touchscreen >.

2. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    At first I was gonna go "Wow, that's awful, I've never heard of anyone getting red splotches on their screens!"

But my guess is just typical scratches from usage. I'm just taking a shot in the dark though. I haven't noticed any of this on my system.

Still, if it's not noticeable a majority of the time, then there doesn't seem to be a huge issue. You may just want to consider buying a warranty on the store if you feel like it could be worse.

3. Forstride

Member Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

United States
    Not really sure about the PS Vita, but I've seen it happen on my mom's phone (Droid 2) when using the camera, and not having good enough lighting (So basically blackness on the screen). It looks like little ink blotches almost. It's most likely just because it's dark...Not really sure how to explain it technically, but that's probably it, cause once there's something other than darkness on the screen, the dark spots go away.

4. Tom Bombadildo
    OP

pip
    United States
    It's not on the touchscreen, it's on the screen underneath it. Also, it's more like the ink you see when you crack a screen than scratches which is why I was worried...

5. Hyro-Sama

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan
    [​IMG]

Ink like that?

6. masterchan777

Member masterchan777 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    This is called OLED MURA which is a common issue with OLED screens, almost every PSVita has this issue, and it can also be observed on other OLED devices (e.g. mobile phones), I have spoken with Sony about this issue and they confirmed that it's pretty normal and should not affect the overall experience, it's only noticeable in very low-light situations and only when the screen is displaying pure black images.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Tom Bombadildo
    OP

pip
    United States
    Ah, thanks masterchan! That about explains it then.

8. Un4tural

Member Un4tural GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    yeah i get those too, though i believe patterns seem to be different on different games, like they are using some black on blacker background images :)

anyways, it doesn't affect anything other than black screens, but hey atleast if vita develops a black screen of death, you can still enjoy the piece of random art.

i seem to be 1/10000000000000 that got a faulty vita on launch, was damn disappointed - had a blue vertical line across the screen... that was way worse than this. can totally live with black on blacker blacks.

1 person likes this.
  9. Guild McCommunist

United States
    Is there anyway to prevent this issue? Like settings I should use? I've been keeping my Vita at the lowest brightness if that helps at all.

For the record I haven't seen this at all yet on mine and I've been using it a couple hours a day (at least) since I got it last week.

10. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    It's not an issue, it's the downside of OLED. Keeping it at low brightness won't change a thing.
    :unsure: My pattern is the same every time I notice it.

11. Guild McCommunist

United States
    Oh, well as long as it isn't noticeable when the system's on, I'm good.

12. MovieGuy

Newcomer MovieGuy Member

Netherlands
    It's noticeable when the system's on, for example the loading screen of lumines

13. miruki

Member miruki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    It's only noticeable if the Vita is on and showing a black screen - like most games loading screens. Whenever something is actually shown you won't notice a thing.

I'm not really sure, as I've only been playing one game lately, but I think my pattern varies depending on the game as well. 8)

14. Just Another Gamer

Member Just Another Gamer 星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy

Australia
    I think this is normal for OLED screens since I googled this and alot of people are having the same problem.

15. Tom Bombadildo
    OP

pip
    United States
    Lol, I find it funny that people are posting without reading the whole thread, like the last 3 posters. We know what it is, it's been described, and it's harmless.

16. Just Another Gamer

Member Just Another Gamer 星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy

Australia
    Well of course its harmless, still mine looks quite awesome if I could actually take a photo of it, the pattern thingy you get from the green in the OLED screen.

17. Supernova741

Newcomer Supernova741 GBAtemp Regular

Poland
    Mine has it too, doesn't bother me that much tbh.