Epic Games lays off around 16% of employees

epic games.jpg

Following a Bloomberg report, Epic Games has confirmed that it will be laying off around 16% of its workforce; or some 830 employees.

"For a while now, we've been spending way more money than we earn, investing in the next evolution of Epic and growing Fortnite as a metaverse-inspired ecosystem for creators," Tim Sweeney said in an email to Epic employees. "I had long been optimistic that we could power through this transition without layoffs, but in retrospect I see that this was unrealistic."

Sweeney also mentioned that Epic is looking to sell the independent music storefront Bandcamp and spinning off SuperAwesome, a branch that specializes in creating safe online experiences for children.

:arrow: SOURCE

Sir Tortoise

Trophies
XP
Country
you actually wanna compete with Steam, you gotta build good will with PC gamers the exact same way Valve did. The shortcuts Epic tried to take with EGS not only failed to make them competitive, they made the PC gaming landscape worse in general.
What does this practically mean? I don't see why going for exclusives is a "shortcut", or wrong, or damaging or whatever - it is literally their only way to compete with Steam on price due to the monopoly Steam currently holds. What would you have them do in place of that?

VartioArtel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Steam justifies its existence with a vast suite of features that no other online service provides, not even the paid console ones. EGS does nothing to justify its existence, there's no compelling reason to buy a game there instead of simply pirating it. For that matter, adding a pirated game as a non-Steam shortcut instantly makes it more robust than anything purchased on EGS.
Notice their whole attack on Gabe is about the man's 'weight'. Not his personality. Not his intelligence. His weight. You just fell into a troll argument just trying to respond to them Xzi. This person either A: is attempting to spurn hate through a rather semi-normal body-shape; or B: is trying to gaslight people into thinking Gabe's a worse person for his body shape.

Honestly while I'm personally NOT a fan of such mentality alone (some people are naturally big boned, some have genetic conditions, etc), their post confirms there's nothing wrong with Steam, so they rely on Ad-Hominem attacks.

Responding to them is justifying THEIR existence. Tempted to just report them because it's a bad faith post by an Epic Games Troll, a Child, or flat out someone who is a paid bad actor whom Epic Sends to forums on their behalf to defend their store.
Post automatically merged:

What does this practically mean? I don't see why going for exclusives is a "shortcut", or wrong, or damaging or whatever - it is literally their only way to compete with Steam on price due to the monopoly Steam currently holds. What would you have them do in place of that?
Did you ignore my post? I think you ignored my post at the top of the 2nd page. I think you need to go read it.

Reactions: jeremy2020 and Xzi

AndorfRequissa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its hard for me to comprehend how u can have some successful IPs that are raking in decent levels of cash over timeperiods that most other games dont have the shelflife of and there isnt really much development with the updates they do. so what are they doing with all the money? seems like the employees are taking a paycut the top should if they are realyl investing in the future. firing people in mass imo is never a move that makes for a better future unless your a soulless human who only cares about $$ in the bank for you alone and not others.

Reactions: jeremy2020

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
its hard for me to comprehend how u can have some successful IPs that are raking in decent levels of cash over timeperiods that most other games dont have the shelflife of and there isnt really much development with the updates they do. so what are they doing with all the money? seems like the employees are taking a paycut the top should if they are realyl investing in the future. firing people in mass imo is never a move that makes for a better future unless your a soulless human who only cares about $$ in the bank for you alone and not others.
and people wonder why epic is hated so much. it's because Tim Sweeny is a greedy soulless c***

Reactions: jeremy2020

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
User reviews are important - as I said, they're a way of warning other potential buyers of malformed, dysfunctional games, or of predatory games. If a game has a horribly abusive marketshop in it, that's almost certainly going to be brought up in user reviews, just like game-breaking bugs or incredibly poor optimisation.
A "professional" reviewer would surely bring that up as well if they want to maintain any credibility at all.

People do this because there's no other real way for us to voice that displeasure; ranting about it on a thread somewhere won't do shit, it'll barely be seen. Boycotts infamously don't work. What else is there but to use user reviews?
This not only makes the game's publishers and devs aware of the backlash, but also other customers too - informs them of such anti-customer practices.
That suggests one of the primary functions of user reviews has nothing to do with actually reviewing the game at all.

ETA: Y'know what? They probably tried quietly implementing user reviews already, but then abandoned the idea entirely when every single review was along the lines of "lol epic sux don't buy this here".

As for the shopping cart - are you serious? What kind of storefront doesn't have a cart these days? Woolworths has one. Amazon has one. Fangamer has one. Steam and GOG have 'em.
You telling me EGS still lacks a cart? Ugh. That makes buying multiple games in one go (like, say, during a sale - does EGS even do sales? The first one they did went disastrously) far more tedious than it needs to be.
A fucking shopping cart should be basic, fundamental pro-customer design - should be Storefront 101.
They do have a shopping cart now – but they didn't for a while, and it was something people kept bringing up. Steam didn't launch with a shopping cart either.

I really don't see why anyone would need to buy multiple games in one go all that often – but then, I really don't see why anyone is still paying full price for something at launch either, especially when everyone has a massive backlog of unplayed games.

And I'm not sure what sale you're referring to that went "disastrously". At any rate they still have quite excellent sales with unbeatable prices.

Even disregarding this bias, game reviewers tend to have a different view on what makes a game 'good' than a bunch of Joe Schmoes - actual reviewers don't have all that much time to play a single game before they have to wrap it up, create the review, and move onto the next game. This means they're not likely to "waste time" hunting down optional side quests or get too deep into postgame content, even if most of the fun comes from said optional content, and will base their opinion on the parts they did experience.
They might do a few side quests, or see a little of the postgame (if there is one), but rarely a lot of either.
Meanwhile, the Joe Schmoes writing user reviews are likely to do these optional tasks, and if there's issues with them that's likely to be brought up, making user reviews perhaps more informative than "professional" ones.
It goes both ways – maybe some people writing user reviews are thorough and interested in doing optional tasks and such, but they're balanced out by "Joe Schmoes" who give up in frustration trying to learn the basic gameplay or because the opening cutscene is too long or because everything on their computer is crashing due to some unrelated hardware defect. Heck, you can even have people who leave a positive review simply because they've spent their own money and wasted a lot of their time and are desperately trying to convince themselves that it was worthwhile! And there's certainly no shortage of people who might have a valid point to make but are entirely incapable of articulating it properly.

Last edited by Kwyjor,

Sir Tortoise

Trophies
XP
Country
Did you ignore my post? I think you ignored my post at the top of the 2nd page. I think you need to go read it.
I apologise if you feel ignored because I did not see your post. If you intended for me to see it specifically, you should probably tag me in it, this is the first time since my post that I've checked out this thread again.

Having read the post now, I *assume* you're taking issue with me saying that exclusives aren't damaging and using cases like Shenmue as an example, correct me if I'm wrong. In which case, I still don't think it's a problem. This isn't like if a dev announced a game for Playstation and then said it'd be an XBox exclusive, in which case PS owners understandably would feel like they've been ditched, unable to play the game without forking out a lot of cash for another entire console.
These are free downloadable launchers. You can use both, for free. For me at least, the difference in which software puts a shortcut on my desktop is entirely negligible.

Then again, you seem fine with exclusives, so maybe the above is moot. It's just about the devs changing their minds? Yeah, it sucks when plans change, but unless Epic held a gun to their head, it was their decision to make. The language you use is more in line with Epic holding a gun to their head, but I didn't find evidence of that when googling. You're fine with game devs accepting these deals from Epic...but not if they've previously said they'll do something else? And this reflects poorly on Epic for offering those deals in the first place? I don't agree.

Also, you suggest that nobody would be annoyed at EGS exclusivity so long as the devs didn't change their plans as with Shenmue. I invite you to look at the gaming website GBATemp where you will find many such examples - a quick google immediately turned up "Fuck off and die, you Epic bastards; stop doing exclusivity deals already!". Your complaint, for what it's worth, is a good deal more specific than theirs even if I don't agree with it.

VartioArtel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I apologise if you feel ignored because I did not see your post. If you intended for me to see it specifically, you should probably tag me in it, this is the first time since my post that I've checked out this thread again.

Having read the post now, I *assume* you're taking issue with me saying that exclusives aren't damaging and using cases like Shenmue as an example, correct me if I'm wrong. In which case, I still don't think it's a problem. This isn't like if a dev announced a game for Playstation and then said it'd be an XBox exclusive, in which case PS owners understandably would feel like they've been ditched, unable to play the game without forking out a lot of cash for another entire console.
That's the thing. Just like people can choose not to buy an Xbox, people can choose not to download Epic. Just because Epic's 'free' don't mean people want 20 launchers on their computer. Just in the same way consoles can take up room/house space, a Patcher/downloader is computer space. And I am one who needs to constantly uninstall games/programs, a patcher just adds on top of that.

You're trying to make it about platform. But Epic Game's store has no 'reliability'. It has no 'history'. Most people would agree that they wouldn't be surprised if EGS shut down because, frankly, the EGS is a failed experiment - the fact that Epic's taking off 16% of their employees speaks volumes as to the viability of the EGS. That, and as noted in court filings - the EGS is technically operating at a financial loss. And with the huge financial losses because Fortnite didn't benefit as much as they expected, we can expect that the EGS store, which is already a financial liability, is hurting more because Fortnite is what covers the deficit from the EGS's operations.

Because of their stubborn attempt to 'gotcha' Steam by cutting their prices and claiming 'hey look it works, that makes them a monopoly' while ignoring their financial losses, their attempts to barter fans by constantly offering free games (further cutting profits as the only benefit to EGS is those free games), and offering an inferior store front, they are, objectively, trying to penny pinch any little bit they can to yield profits.

Steam meanwhile, has stability. It operates at a steady rate if not at profit. Why does this matter? Valve is unlikely to shut down Steam, ever, unless they are forced to by law. Meanwhile EGS' fate is in the air based on current circumstances. In short, Steam is the more secure option to purchase games. Unlike EGS, Steam isn't relying on their IPs, the last released was DOTA 2 in 2013, to keep the store afloat. This is an objective reality. It isn't a matter of favoritism but pragmatism that anyone who wants their games would prefer Non-DRM methods, including Steam,
Then again, you seem fine with exclusives, so maybe the above is moot. It's just about the devs changing their minds? Yeah, it sucks when plans change, but unless Epic held a gun to their head, it was their decision to make. The language you use is more in line with Epic holding a gun to their head, but I didn't find evidence of that when googling. You're fine with game devs accepting these deals from Epic...but not if they've previously said they'll do something else? And this reflects poorly on Epic for offering those deals in the first place? I don't agree.

Also, you suggest that nobody would be annoyed at EGS exclusivity so long as the devs didn't change their plans as with Shenmue. I invite you to look at the gaming website GBATemp where you will find many such examples - a quick google immediately turned up "Fuck off and die, you Epic bastards; stop doing exclusivity deals already!". Your complaint, for what it's worth, is a good deal more specific than theirs even if I don't agree with it.

The devs changing their mind was exclusively because Epic put not only a large amount of money forwards but their 12% cut vs Steam's 30. Basically put, they put the metaphorical gun: rather than simply offer them a smaller sum, they put a large amount of profits. The companies who put those announcements first deserved (and got plenty of) criticism and likely lost fans from the decisions. But it was Epic who pushed them to make it exclusive. Epic didn't NEED to make it exclusive AFTER the announcements.

Also, love how you don't describe WHY you don't agree. Just say you do.

Also, of course people complained about the Exclusivity afterwords, because after the initial debocles involving Shenmue III and other such games, Epic had burned bridges with gamers. There's plenty of quote unquote 'Steam' Exclusives, but those companies MADE the games with Steam support in the forefront because of all the Support systems (IE: API) Steam adds to their platform that makes it more efficient (including help with multiplayer connectivity). They don't 'purchase' exclusivity, or push exclusivity.

The only platform actively pursuing true exclusivity in the gaming market is Epic. And that's to make up for, as I stated earlier, an objectively weaker Store front, API, make up for their 12% fees vs the industry standard 30%, etc.

The only thing EGS offers over Steam is a different list of Free Games, and usually more 'valuable' ones (although that was MOSTLY early on, I haven't heard or seen of any or many major titles in a couple years now). But that's simply to bait people to use the EGS store.

For reference: EGS's profits according to financial statements show it's down. Its income is almost entirely 1st party. The Third party support's horrendous. Between '21 and '22 it lost $20m in profits, and I don't doubt it's dropped more.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/90671/epic-store-makes-820-million-in-2022-mostly-from-first-party-games/index.html#:~:text=Epic's latest year in review,$840 million generated in 2021.&text=Metrics show that the Epic,-party driven storefront/platform.

Nor do I doubt it will recover anytime soon with them offering a complete negation on the 12% for 6 months of exclusivity
https://www.theverge.com/2023/8/23/23843018/epic-games-store-first-run-developers-revenue

Generally Epic's in a sore spot. And most people wanting a game is picking Steam because it's the most stable choice. Stability is important in net society considering how easy it would be for something to disappear altogether, and all purchases linked to it in the process - much like many mobile games.

Edit: A quick Tl;Dr: Of course people don't want to download EGS. Between scummy business practices (including the 'stealing' Exclusivity Deals), an inferior product (would you want to use an emulator for the GBA from 2000, or one that performs better from 2015?), and dubious legal behaviors that risk not only the platform but the whole business and all purchases made with them, it's just not desirable.

Sir Tortoise

Trophies
XP
Country
That's the thing. Just like people can choose not to buy an Xbox, people can choose not to download Epic. Just because Epic's 'free' don't mean people want 20 launchers on their computer. Just in the same way consoles can take up room/house space, a Patcher/downloader is computer space. And I am one who needs to constantly uninstall games/programs, a patcher just adds on top of that.

You're trying to make it about platform. But Epic Game's store has no 'reliability'. It has no 'history'. Most people would agree that they wouldn't be surprised if EGS shut down because, frankly, the EGS is a failed experiment - the fact that Epic's taking off 16% of their employees speaks volumes as to the viability of the EGS. That, and as noted in court filings - the EGS is technically operating at a financial loss. And with the huge financial losses because Fortnite didn't benefit as much as they expected, we can expect that the EGS store, which is already a financial liability, is hurting more because Fortnite is what covers the deficit from the EGS's operations.

Because of their stubborn attempt to 'gotcha' Steam by cutting their prices and claiming 'hey look it works, that makes them a monopoly' while ignoring their financial losses, their attempts to barter fans by constantly offering free games (further cutting profits as the only benefit to EGS is those free games), and offering an inferior store front, they are, objectively, trying to penny pinch any little bit they can to yield profits.

Steam meanwhile, has stability. It operates at a steady rate if not at profit. Why does this matter? Valve is unlikely to shut down Steam, ever, unless they are forced to by law. Meanwhile EGS' fate is in the air based on current circumstances. In short, Steam is the more secure option to purchase games. Unlike EGS, Steam isn't relying on their IPs, the last released was DOTA 2 in 2013, to keep the store afloat. This is an objective reality. It isn't a matter of favoritism but pragmatism that anyone who wants their games would prefer Non-DRM methods, including Steam,

The devs changing their mind was exclusively because Epic put not only a large amount of money forwards but their 12% cut vs Steam's 30. Basically put, they put the metaphorical gun: rather than simply offer them a smaller sum, they put a large amount of profits. The companies who put those announcements first deserved (and got plenty of) criticism and likely lost fans from the decisions. But it was Epic who pushed them to make it exclusive. Epic didn't NEED to make it exclusive AFTER the announcements.

Also, love how you don't describe WHY you don't agree. Just say you do.

Also, of course people complained about the Exclusivity afterwords, because after the initial debocles involving Shenmue III and other such games, Epic had burned bridges with gamers. There's plenty of quote unquote 'Steam' Exclusives, but those companies MADE the games with Steam support in the forefront because of all the Support systems (IE: API) Steam adds to their platform that makes it more efficient (including help with multiplayer connectivity). They don't 'purchase' exclusivity, or push exclusivity.

The only platform actively pursuing true exclusivity in the gaming market is Epic. And that's to make up for, as I stated earlier, an objectively weaker Store front, API, make up for their 12% fees vs the industry standard 30%, etc.

The only thing EGS offers over Steam is a different list of Free Games, and usually more 'valuable' ones (although that was MOSTLY early on, I haven't heard or seen of any or many major titles in a couple years now). But that's simply to bait people to use the EGS store.

For reference: EGS's profits according to financial statements show it's down. Its income is almost entirely 1st party. The Third party support's horrendous. Between '21 and '22 it lost $20m in profits, and I don't doubt it's dropped more.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/90671/epic-store-makes-820-million-in-2022-mostly-from-first-party-games/index.html#:~:text=Epic's latest year in review,$840 million generated in 2021.&text=Metrics show that the Epic,-party driven storefront/platform.

Nor do I doubt it will recover anytime soon with them offering a complete negation on the 12% for 6 months of exclusivity
https://www.theverge.com/2023/8/23/23843018/epic-games-store-first-run-developers-revenue

Generally Epic's in a sore spot. And most people wanting a game is picking Steam because it's the most stable choice. Stability is important in net society considering how easy it would be for something to disappear altogether, and all purchases linked to it in the process - much like many mobile games.

Edit: A quick Tl;Dr: Of course people don't want to download EGS. Between scummy business practices (including the 'stealing' Exclusivity Deals), an inferior product (would you want to use an emulator for the GBA from 2000, or one that performs better from 2015?), and dubious legal behaviors that risk not only the platform but the whole business and all purchases made with them, it's just not desirable.
Well, this is a lot of new arguments to unpack. The Epic launcher takes up disk space...the EGS is new...the EGS is losing money...cutting prices being a bad thing..."objectively" being penny-pinchers, whatever that means... Steam has stability...Epic take less of a cut than Steam (and this is a bad thing, somehow)...EGS losing money, again...EGS offering even lower dev fees, again as a bad thing...

Gonna be honest, this reads like a gish gallop. Half of these points aren't even consistent with one another (you accuse Epic of being penny-pinchers in the same sentence where you mention free games cutting into profits, not to mention the lower dev fees and general criticism of EGS being unprofitable).

The other half is just asserting that Epic's tactics are bad - like them offering the 12% cut, as if its cheating to offer a better deal than Steam to devs? Like, at one point you say they're pursing exclusives to make up for (among other things) having a 12% cut instead of the "industry-standard" (read- what Steam picked) 30%. You'd rather "penny-pincher" Epic take a *bigger* cut, like Steam, who obviously can't be penny-pinching for doing that? This isn't a cohesive argument, it's just looking at everything Epic does individually and saying "that's bad".

Steam somehow seems to get the benefit of the doubt. Their 30% cut is "industry standard" next to Epic's penny-pinching 12%. Devs that go for exclusive Steam releases are just being tempted by Steam's better architecture - which is *totally* different to Epic offering a better cut for devs, yknow, that's the wrong kind of better deal to make. That's putting a gun to their heads, unlike when Steam threatens to remove games from their store if the devs want to sell them elsewhere for less. And I guess the games that don't need Steam's features are just paying extra for the fun of it, and not because Steam's market share would make it suicidal to opt-out without some sort of deal (which they'd be bad for taking).
And best of all, the EGS should have just started existing when Steam did so that they could have history, and features built up over years from being the only major PC storefront. Quite an oversight.

To satisfy all your arguments at the same time, the only option available for Epic would be to stop existing and not try to compete with Steam. Because they can't be new, and they lack a time machine. They can't pay for exclusives, and without that, they can't offer lower prices due to Steam's own practices. A 12% rate is penny-pinching, as is anything lower...they could try the "industry standard" 30% rate maybe, but that probably wouldn't be acceptable either unless Steam does it, and then they've also lost their only remaining point of attraction for devs. But that's a good thing, because offering a better deal for devs is cheating. Unless Steam does it. Then it's fine, even if they charge extra for it. All of which leaves EGS with...well, no way to compete with Steam, which I'm sure would suit Steam just fine.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
They can start by building a launcher-storefront that doesn't feel like it was coded by high school interns in their spare time. Then they need to reinvest in their own IPs beyond just Fortnite, killing off Unreal Tournament was moronic and Shadow Complex had untapped potential. Finally, they need to do a better job promoting indie games, because EGS buries those immediately.

And best of all, the EGS should have just started existing when Steam did so that they could have history, and features built up over years from being the only major PC storefront. Quite an oversight.
Quite the oversight indeed. Sweeney talked a whole lot of shit about PC gaming back when Steam was first gaining momentum, and at the time you would've assumed first-party Epic games would be console exclusive forever. Steam's annual earnings creep into the billions and all of a sudden Epic sees PC as a platform worth investing in. It's no wonder people view them as being in it solely for the money.

SeventhSon7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...You don't know about Epic's propensity to purchase exclusives, even for kickstarted games that promised a Steam release? Or how lacking their storefront is, compared to Steam and GOG?

I'd support Epic if they even tried to be better than their main competitors, but they aren't - their storefront doesn't offer user reviews, for one thing, which means players can't warn other people about shoddily-made releases or asset flips. Oh, and despite initial promises to 'curate' the store, to prevent the flooding of asset flips that Steam gets...yeah, unfortunately asset flips are still making their way onto EGS. So much for that.

So no user reviews, no anti-asset flip protection...what does it offer over Steam or GOG? Free games? Sorry, but I don't care about that - most of them are games I'm not interested in, and for those I would like to play, I'd rather buy them and add them to my Steam library, or GOG library. Free games I don't care about aren't going to make up for the lack of reviews - or the store's history of purchasing exclusivity.

Epic would rather money hat devs than spend money to improve the quality of their launcher. Epic's goal should have been to reach feature parity with Steam, then identify areas to improve and go beyond to attract users. That would be actually competing with Steam.

VartioArtel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, this is a lot of new arguments to unpack. The Epic launcher takes up disk space...the EGS is new...the EGS is losing money...cutting prices being a bad thing..."objectively" being penny-pinchers, whatever that means... Steam has stability...Epic take less of a cut than Steam (and this is a bad thing, somehow)...EGS losing money, again...EGS offering even lower dev fees, again as a bad thing...

Okay, so lemme break this down:
>"objectively" being penny-pinchers, whatever that means

Penny Pinching is not spending money on things you should, in order to 'cut costs'. Attempting to draw users is one thing (IE: Offering games on Sale/Free. Even Steam does that, and without that EGS has no cuts). It's for example not including proper APIs, not including other customer-friendly functions (whether individual customers think them necessary or not), etc. Steam's power lies in that it offers a plethora of functions, some for fun (communities for a game), some for profit (cards), some for garnering more sales (some people buy a game based on user reviews).

>Epic take less of a cut than Steam (and this is a bad thing, somehow)

In simple terms? It is a bad thing. Not for the companies that want to use EGS, but for Epic itself. As I explained, TWICE MIND YOU, in that post, EGS operates at a Deficit. This means that the Epic Game Store LOSES MONEY just to operate. This can be attributed to a few choices, the biggest one being the 12%.

During Epic vs Apple, they revealed that the Epic Game store does not profit because of this 12% cut. They expected that the user count (edit: and 'Non-Paid Deal Exclusives') would go up in time, leading the higher profits. The reality, however, is that they're LOSING money rather than gaining. The First Party (Epic Games) income went up between 2021 and 2022, but overall Third Party income went down because nobody uses Epic Game Store for Third Party Titles. The truth comes out that the general 12% cut is not enough to sustain the store, and considering this topic, it's more likely they've lose more this year than they had in the past.

The 12% is not sustainable. Ergo, it's a BAD business strategy. They insist on it to try to bring more games to EGS, which they hope many will be, like how many do with Steam, 'platform exclusive' without them needing to pay to make deals, and thus they could rake more in. The reality however is nobody's buying 3rd parties on EGS, as I've said.

In 2021, Steam made $10,000,000,000 ($10b) Dollars. Not Valve, Valve made $13b that year. As noted above, Epic Game Store made $820,000,000 ($820m) - of that $465 million or 57% of total spend made from first-party titles; and thus made 355,000,000 in Third parties.

(Again, source is: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/9067...2022-mostly-from-first-party-games/index.html)

$355m. At 12%. Y'know how much that is at 30%? 887.5m. They wouldn't have even broke a Billion. They're not even making 1/10th of Steam's profits on Third parties. And remember, by Epic's own admission, they are operating at a deficit, but because of a stubborn attempt to play 'gotcha' with Steam (which is all their decisions. Literally. Look how many times they've permitted/banned games that Steam otherwise banned/permitted, respectively), they are constantly losing money.

>Gonna be honest, this reads like a gish gallop. Half of these points aren't even consistent with one another (you accuse Epic of being penny-pinchers in the same sentence where you mention free games cutting into profits, not to mention the lower dev fees and general criticism of EGS being unprofitable).

Because Business is not a 'one solution solves all' deal. Some things you DO have to spend money on. It's the things they SHOULD that they don't. IE: The Client's functions, which have been repeatedly claimed as underwhelming.

There's nuance in business that you clearly don't grasp.
The other half is just asserting that Epic's tactics are bad - like them offering the 12% cut, as if its cheating to offer a better deal than Steam to devs? Like, at one point you say they're pursing exclusives to make up for (among other things) having a 12% cut instead of the "industry-standard" (read- what Steam picked) 30%. You'd rather "penny-pincher" Epic take a *bigger* cut, like Steam, who obviously can't be penny-pinching for doing that? This isn't a cohesive argument, it's just looking at everything Epic does individually and saying "that's bad".

The 'Industry Standard' is indeed the 'Industry Standard'. 30% is the price Nintendo charges for the Nintendo Store. It's what PSN charges on their store. It's what Microsoft Charges on the Microsoft Store. It's what companies charge for physical merchandise in their stores. It legitimately is the Industry Standard. And we can confirm this because, surprise: the Epic vs Apple Case addresses this directly and confirms all of this.

Also, again, ignoring the nuances of the business. Penny Pinching is NOT SPENDING MONEY WHERE NEEDED FOR A COMPETENT PRODUCT, not 'Not Charging High enough'. You're reinforcing your lack of awareness of business practices.
Steam somehow seems to get the benefit of the doubt. Their 30% cut is "industry standard" next to Epic's penny-pinching 12%. Devs that go for exclusive Steam releases are just being tempted by Steam's better architecture - which is *totally* different to Epic offering a better cut for devs, yknow, that's the wrong kind of better deal to make. That's putting a gun to their heads, unlike when Steam threatens to remove games from their store if the devs want to sell them elsewhere for less. And I guess the games that don't need Steam's features are just paying extra for the fun of it, and not because Steam's market share would make it suicidal to opt-out without some sort of deal (which they'd be bad for taking).

Steam doesn't get any benefits of the doubt. They're the PC Standard. If they put out an incompetent product, people would have shipped to EGS instantly. But the Steam Client is extremely well designed.

IN particular btw, you clearly did no studying here:
That's putting a gun to their heads, unlike when Steam threatens to remove games from their store if the devs want to sell them elsewhere for less.
Steam has no such threat. What they do have is a promise to punish developers who repeat the Shenmue 3/Metro Exodus/Etc incidents, where a company makes a clear designation they will 'ship' a game to Steam, and then don't and ship elsewhere. Basically put, as is EXPECTED of businesses, once one advertises their product is going to be sold somewhere, it needs to be sold there.
On top of what Xzi said, you ignore that a company that is along for longer has a higher 'guarantee' of stability. They have been in the business for a nearly two decades, ergo there's a level of prestige and expectation for them to actually have a competent product. And because they've been around longer, that also means they have a far higher install base, which makes them a shoe-in for business. And like Xzi said - Sweeney was too busy jerking himself off to bother getting into the game early, which lead to issues competing with Steam. They're in a VERY uphill battle that is nigh impossible to win.

Also, you ignore that the hypermajority of the features you laud here as something 'built up', were available on Steam in 2005. AKA within 2 years, at most. (Edit: A year, depending, if you want to debate when it was 1st party vs opening 3rd party). Communities was in 2007, reviews by '13. All features Steam more or less pioneered, were ignored by Epic despite being released 5 years after the LAST of those.

Epic Game's store has been up since 2018. 5 years, and it's lacking in features (including API functions) that Steam had since the first year. So yes, it's a hell of an oversight that they can't accomplish in 5 years what Steam had either on launch or in the first year.

To satisfy all your arguments at the same time, the only option available for Epic would be to stop existing and not try to compete with Steam. Because they can't be new, and they lack a time machine. They can't pay for exclusives, and without that, they can't offer lower prices due to Steam's own practices. A 12% rate is penny-pinching, as is anything lower...they could try the "industry standard" 30% rate maybe, but that probably wouldn't be acceptable either unless Steam does it, and then they've also lost their only remaining point of attraction for devs. But that's a good thing, because offering a better deal for devs is cheating. Unless Steam does it. Then it's fine, even if they charge extra for it. All of which leaves EGS with...well, no way to compete with Steam, which I'm sure would suit Steam just fine.
To compete, they need to first make the store SELF SUSTAINABLE profit wise. That, or take MORE risks and invest money into giving the EGS functions it lacks, and with better quality and UI than what Steam offers. They need to make something that is truly 2023, not 2000 (protip: Steam came out in 2003 and included Third Parties in 2005).

They need to be high quality enough that exclusives COME TO THEM, not that they pay for exclusives - something GoG and Steam don't need to do. They also need, and this is the big one: to get a ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE influx of users - EGS only has ~50m vs Steam's 130m - if they don't get WAY more users, they will NEVER, under ANY circumstances, be able to make up the 12% vs 30% difference SOLELY because of the sheer gulf of users.

All of this is common business sense, something you would be able to figure out through High School Classes.

Last edited by VartioArtel,

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
A "professional" reviewer would surely bring that up as well if they want to maintain any credibility at all.

That suggests one of the primary functions of user reviews has nothing to do with actually reviewing the game at all.

ETA: Y'know what? They probably tried quietly implementing user reviews already, but then abandoned the idea entirely when every single review was along the lines of "lol epic sux don't buy this here".

They do have a shopping cart now – but they didn't for a while, and it was something people kept bringing up. Steam didn't launch with a shopping cart either.

I really don't see why anyone would need to buy multiple games in one go all that often – but then, I really don't see why anyone is still paying full price for something at launch either, especially when everyone has a massive backlog of unplayed games.

And I'm not sure what sale you're referring to that went "disastrously". At any rate they still have quite excellent sales with unbeatable prices.

It goes both ways – maybe some people writing user reviews are thorough and interested in doing optional tasks and such, but they're balanced out by "Joe Schmoes" who give up in frustration trying to learn the basic gameplay or because the opening cutscene is too long or because everything on their computer is crashing due to some unrelated hardware defect. Heck, you can even have people who leave a positive review simply because they've spent their own money and wasted a lot of their time and are desperately trying to convince themselves that it was worthwhile! And there's certainly no shortage of people who might have a valid point to make but are entirely incapable of articulating it properly.
Review bombing is not a "primary function" of user reviews; most of the time, user reviews are about the game in question, about if there's notable issues with the game itself that the user felt needed to be expressed. I've read a lot of user reviews, and the vast majority of the time they're not about a different game - the majority of the time, the user reviews are actually quite helpful, listing optimisation problems, notable bugs, and other flaws, alongside mentioning the good parts of games.

It's just that, since us gamers have no other option as AkiraKurusu said, at times user reviews do get co-opted in order to voice our grievances with major anti-customer publisher decisions, but that's far from the primary purpose - that really doesn't happen often.

I also doubt "every single review" was disparaging Epic; in fact, Epic does have user reviews as an option, but the publisher has to enable that option for each released game there. Why would publishers enable that, when that would allow us customers a voice and potentially bring up issues with unfinished or predatory games?
Steam makes user reviews mandatory for every game; EGS makes user reviews optional, and as such gives publishers control over our voices right there on the store page. That's very anti-customer, that.

You don't see why people would buy multiple games in one go? You sure about that? What if they want to buy a bunch of cheap retro or indie games at once? Heck, just yesterday I bought Cyperpunk 2077 and Sonic Adventure 2 at the same time through Steam, and I've bought multiple games at once plenty of times before, both on Steam, GOG, Switch eShop, PS3 Store, PS4 Store, and others.

I don't buy games at launch, either; I do have a backlog, and I do wait for sales if I can, but that doesn't preclude me from buying multiple games at once - that's just a fallacious argument, right there.
As for the "disastrous sale", I believe he's referring to this event, back in May 2019, where Epic made games cheaper without notifying publishers, pissing a bunch of them off and even leading to some games being pulled from the shitty store for the duration; also, because they didn't even have a bloody shopping cart back then, customers had to buy multiple games individually, which would trip the EGS security system and get their accounts locked since in Epic's utter stupidity they didn't foresee customers wanting to buy multiple games in a short timeframe as a possible safe interaction.

Lastly, while some user reviews are short, vapid, and useless, not all of them are - and judging an entire system by just a few bad apples is quite prejudicial of you, mate. I've personally read user reviews on Steam and on Metacritic, and a lot of them articulate their reasoning for the positive or negative vote, and since non-professional reviewers have the time to try different builds or experiment with game systems, I trust them to bring up deeper flaws with systems.

Hopefully, after reading all the different reasons people dislike EGS written throughout this comment section, you'll learn why EGS is viewed so negatively compared to Steam. Steam's also not perfect (they could indeed give a larger share of sales to devs, and it does have an 'asset flip' problem), but we've generally come to trust the platform way more than EGS due to Steam not doing such revolting anti-customer practices like buying exclusivity for games slated to be released on other storefronts, like limiting our voices via restricting user reviews, like not having close ties to the Chinese Communist Party. Steam offers us frequent sales, forums for each game, Steam Workshop, a chat function, and way more besides - cloud saves, too.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've read a lot of user reviews, and the vast majority of the time they're not about a different game - the majority of the time, the user reviews are actually quite helpful, listing optimisation problems, notable bugs, and other flaws, alongside mentioning the good parts of games.
Yeah, well, the majority of professional reviews I've seen don't strike me as the product of someone brazenly shilling just to get free review codes.

I also doubt "every single review" was disparaging Epic; in fact, Epic does have user reviews as an option, but the publisher has to enable that option for each released game there.
I reckon that's probably not widespread knowledge or the publisher would get review bombed about publishing on Epic.

Steam makes user reviews mandatory for every game
There's some sort of moderation function available to the publisher, isn't there? I can't recall the details.

You don't see why people would buy multiple games in one go? You sure about that? What if they want to buy a bunch of cheap retro or indie games at once? Heck, just yesterday I bought Cyperpunk 2077 and Sonic Adventure 2 at the same time through Steam, and I've bought multiple games at once plenty of times before, both on Steam, GOG, Switch eShop, PS3 Store, PS4 Store, and others.
Yes, I don't see why you would feel the need to do that. Or at least, I don't see why you would be doing that so often for it to be a major inconvenience. But that's just me.

Lastly, while some user reviews are short, vapid, and useless, not all of them are - and judging an entire system by just a few bad apples is quite prejudicial of you, mate.
Same goes the other way. I freely admit that spending too much time on the Internet has left me cynical and has diminished my faith in Internet users at large. Why wouldn't any public review forum on Epic get completely flooded with complaints about the platform having links to the Chinese Communist Party and so on?

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
They should do Bloomberg article in 1991 in the first place besides I want to see at least really revival of Paragon,Unreal Tournament 4 and Jazz Jackrabbit 3D…etc.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: they need to have a strong line up on the launch titles too. I think they should move metroid...