Epic Games lays off around 16% of employees

epic games.jpg

Following a Bloomberg report, Epic Games has confirmed that it will be laying off around 16% of its workforce; or some 830 employees.

"For a while now, we've been spending way more money than we earn, investing in the next evolution of Epic and growing Fortnite as a metaverse-inspired ecosystem for creators," Tim Sweeney said in an email to Epic employees. "I had long been optimistic that we could power through this transition without layoffs, but in retrospect I see that this was unrealistic."

Sweeney also mentioned that Epic is looking to sell the independent music storefront Bandcamp and spinning off SuperAwesome, a branch that specializes in creating safe online experiences for children.

:arrow: SOURCE

whitesword7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean its either this or they need to charge more from unreal engine.

seeing people reaction to the unity fiasco, I’m pretty sure the unreal engine game dev prefer this outcome instead.

this is of course pretty sad that people lose their job, but the reality is money doesn’t grow on trees

Reactions: dudeguy2022

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I never even heard about the acquisition of Bandcamp. (I had some weird idea that was owned by Apple..? Maybe I was getting it confused with Garageband.)

Epic Games has confirmed that it will be laying off around 16% of its workforce
I've seen a lot of reference to the layoffs, but this is the first time I've seen someone note that it was 16% of the workforce. Hooray for context!

I saw a rather thoughtful analysis noting that the last few years (with the pandemic and so on) were big boom times for the industry and a offered a big chance to expand, and that this is just the ordinary contraction of the market.

Reactions: DKB

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Good - get fucked, Epic. You're no GOG or Steam, when it comes to your shitty storefront, and I exclusivity-purchasing is damn-near unforgivable.
Plus, what do your game devs even do apart from working on that childish Fortnite battle royale? Are they working on anything actually worthwhile?

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do the 16% include people designing games or janitors?
Post automatically merged:

Good - get fucked, Epic. You're no GOG or Steam, when it comes to your shitty storefront, and I exclusivity-purchasing is damn-near unforgivable.
Plus, what do your game devs even do apart from working on that childish Fortnite battle royale? Are they working on anything actually worthwhile?

Why is there always hostility towards Epic every time they're even mentioned? What did they do? (I'm sure it's something I Just didn't hear about)

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Somehow I doubt it's coincidence this happened right after Epic was ordered to pay out for fraudulent Fortnite charges. God forbid the dumbasses at the top who were responsible for those decisions take a pay cut, nah let's just fire all of Mediatonic instead.

Maybe this will have devs re-thinking Epic buyouts in the future. Such a shit company.

GengarsGhostlyGiggles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Somehow I doubt it's coincidence this happened right after Epic was ordered to pay out for fraudulent Fortnite charges. God forbid the dumbasses at the top who were responsible for those decisions take a pay cut, nah let's just fire all of Mediatonic instead.

Maybe this will have devs re-thinking Epic buyouts in the future. Such a shit company.
seriously, game devs should also be switching from unity AND unreal to open source engines asap

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Why is there always hostility towards Epic every time they're even mentioned? What did they do? (I'm sure it's something I Just didn't hear about)

At least some of it likely stems from their use of third party exclusivity, in particular they did paid exclusivity for stuff already announced for Steam whilst they were lacking rather basic features by modern standards like a shopping cart, cloud saves, etc.

Had they just launched EGS with the free games, regular discounts and slowly built up the service there would IMO probably be allot less hostility towards them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol