EOS 1.04 goes into closed Beta

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by fabi280, Jul 28, 2010.

Jul 28, 2010
  1. fabi280
    OP

Member fabi280 GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    http://bbs.supercard.sc/thread-26952-1-1.html

Changelog (GoogleEngrish)
    Maybe someone could make a better Translation.

2. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    GBA linkage? Does that mean they're supporting multiplayer GBA? Awesome!!

3. nathancnc

Member nathancnc GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If the GBA Emulator get multiplayer support I would cream my pants...

4. 9th_Sage

Member 9th_Sage GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Don't get excited yet...I have a feeling it means linking between DS games and Slot-2 GBA games (that is, with a slot 2 flashcart).

5. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    Actually, I think they're developing a way to boot both a GBA game and a DS game at the same time (but the GBA game remains unplayable because the DSTWO puts DS mode first) so that a GBA ROM like Pokémon Sapphire can be loaded (with the appropriate save file) in the extra RAM (and remain 'asleep'), then boot a DS ROM like Pokémon SoulSilver, which would then be able to access the save file of the GBA ROM and take the Pokémon from it.

If it's not that I wouldn't have a clue what they're up to.

6. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    Holy crap, if that's what they're doing, then that's AWESOME [​IMG]

7. liquidnumb

Member liquidnumb GBAtemp Regular

United States
  8. Dimensional

Member Dimensional GBAtemp Fan

United States
    That is exactly what I was talking about in my thread: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=221349

People said it's not possible, but if it turns out that it happens, then I will be happy. I even sent an email to the SC team about this idea a week before they released the card so this is something I would really be happy about.

9. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    @liquidnumb: Correct, but the DSTWO can already do that (at least I think so, it should be able to because the DSONE(i) can do it; I haven't had a chance to test it though as my DS Phat is unusable at the moment and my brother won't lend me his). Thus, it must be something like I speculated.

10. Dimensional

United States
    I thought it over. The DSTWO has 32 MB of ram, right? That's for executing the GBA game, among other things. That's reading and interpreting the code. Now, instead, having the GBA rom just read like a plain text file, even just the header of it, wouldn't take up even all that. So, the firmware or EOS has the GBA game on 'sleep', and when the DS game wants to know what's in the Slot-2, it gets redirected to the DSTWO's ram, where the header and the save files is stored, and there you go. You have successfully tricked even the DSi into having a game in it's 'slot-2'.

11. liquidnumb

United States
    I suppose that's possible. Wouldn't it be easier just to read directly from the game's save file on-card?

12. Dimensional

United States
    Not really. It's because of games that don't use the save file, like Megaman Star Force. That game only detects the Megaman Battle Network game in the slot-2 and that unlocks an event in the DS game. That game doesn't try to access the save file. And then there's Pokemon DPP/HG/SS. Thing is, they need to have the game header so they know how to access the save file. They ask for the game header first, and then they say which game it is, then ask for the save data.

13. liquidnumb

United States
    Right, I get the part about it needing a header. That functionality has already been demonstrated as working. I was just asking in the case of pokemans (in the event you can transfer pokemans), once it has the header, that an entire game state would need to be run, loaded and suspended when (I presume) this is not necessary using retail carts.

In other words, am I missing something, or is the shortest distance between two points a straight line?

14. Dimensional

United States
    I got a little confused here. Not sure if you were talking about the DS game pausing or the GBA game pausing.

Um, no. It wouldn't be doing that. The ds rom would always be running, because it would be using the DS ram. The header data and the save data would be in the SC DSTWO ram, waiting for the DS game to request and be directed to that ram.
    There would be no need to pause the DS ROM, unless of course you forgot to set the GBA game on standby. In other words, the game needed to run will always be running, and for this, it's the DS game that needs to run.

15. EJames2100

Member EJames2100 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    3in1 Support, hope it's all of them and not just a specific model [​IMG]

Will be very useful until they make their Emulator compatible with almost every game.
    (Or both Golden Sun's at the least [​IMG] )

16. liquidnumb

United States
    Me too. I think I have a fundamental misunderstanding of how the transfers work on legit carts on account of I can't stand pokemon games. Thanks for trying to break it down for me though, lol. If this were ds-scene or wherever else I think I would have been flamed out of the forum already.

17. SignZ

Member SignZ Timelord

Germany
    I think (like Ellie) the GBA Union will just be like:
    - Pokemon.nds (Diamond, Pearl, etc) + Pokemon.nds.gba (Ruby, Saphire, etc) + Pokemon.nds.gba.sav (Save file from Ruby, etc) in the same folder
    - Something like in the Options > GBA Union Mode "on", then start the Pokemon.nds
    - Pokemon.nds detects the Pokemon.nds.gba as an actual cartridge, therefore you can use the extra features like you are using an actual cartridge

That's at least, how I understand that >
    http://forum.supercard.sc/thread-6633-1-1.html