• Total voters

Faolan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm hoping to gather info on which you prefer and the pros/cons of each.

I prefer emunand currently as I feel it'll always be safer (and I'm to lazy to swap emu/sys :P)

So which do you prefer and think is better?

Edit: switched to sysnand

Last edited by Faolan,
Reactions: Raylight

Manuel9181

GBAtemp Prosecutor
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Emunand
I'm scarried about the chance that an Nintendo's update could, in someway, be able to overwrite FIRM0/FIRM1 and delete a9lh.
Also, all my VC work perfectly on my emuNand.

Reactions: gamered

Ekaitz

Redhead Believer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Just updated my sysnand.
I did not need it until I tried to play my custom VC and as (with A9LH) you don't comeback to sysnand, I had issues to save properly.

Now problem solved.
For someone that does not play VC games, I still think emunand is the best option.

Arubaro

Soulspace Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Emunand...
You can take out your sd card and sell you 3ds like new without any prior process (reflashing non-modified nand into sysnand, etc)

Also you don't need to depend on cfw

Last edited by Arubaro,

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France

looks like someone already ported ctrBootManager

Yeah, the topic is here... https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-ctrbootmanager9.417159/

Anyways, emuNAND for me because the arguments for sysNAND either don't apply or don't balance the arguments for emuNAND.
An argument for sysNAND that doesn't apply for example is "you can remove your emuNAND from your SD and save space". Not entirely true if you want to run apps that need 9.x or stuff like that. For a very specific example, if you need GW for cheats, you won't reasonably boot that from your 9.x emuNAND to your 9.x emuNAND... Not that I use them but I don't see why I would kick myself out of possibilities.

And the arguments that don't balance are:
-emuNAND is tons safer (you can't mess up an update, it will always be patched (unlike sysNAND which is only unpatched if you fail your installation, but it can be) and it's easier to reflash when you don't have a hardmod...)
-sysNAND saves some kilobytes by not installing VC twice. Most of space saving was already possible with forwarders but even without forwarders, you are not wasting space with VC...

Now one may say "if safety is your priority, then use menuhax, not a9lh". Well, I didn't say it was the number one priority. Menuhax+emuNAND is indeed the safest way of using a 3DS but a9lh+whatever is just more convenient. And among the two most convenients options, well see above, emuNAND wins in my opinion.

Mistie

Legit Furry Trash
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sysnand. I have no reason to waste two gigs of space on my SD card so I won't. VC games work better, and it's just less to worry about.

Though I do keep a 9.2 emuNAND laying around on a separate SD card. Along with a backup.

Emunand. It seems like a step backwards to use Sysnand instead.
I feel like it's actually a huge step forwards to be able to safely use sysNAND rather than an emuNAND. It shows we have progressed to a point were things are getting safer and cleaner. Less bleeding edge.

Last edited by Mistie,

Xinaman

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I feel like it's actually a huge step forwards to be able to safely use sysNAND rather than an emuNAND. It shows we have progressed to a point were things are getting safer and cleaner. Less bleeding edge.
That... Huge step foward!!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM