Homebrew Emunand on A9LH

SharkToothFears

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So now that it's a 15 min process to install A9LH on a N3DS, I've decided to ditch the menuhax setup. However before I went ahead I had a question related to using my Emunand.

With Luma I can boot directly into my current Emunand, no hassles, I can just pick up from where I left off.
So what's the point of backing it up then injecting it into my sysnand as many people say to do? I have no desire to play dsiware or gba titles 'easily' and as far as I'm aware that's the only real advantage?

Davidosky99

Eevee :3
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.davidosky99.xyz
XP
Country
There are more advantages such as the free space and faster boot timed in case you don't have a very fast SD. And trust me , updated sysnand is always the best choice for the common user, whether it be for you don't have to make double installs and more free space in the SD.
Updated sysnand is the point of installing a9lh :)

SharkToothFears

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Updated sysnand is the point of installing a9lh :)

See and that's why I initially held off going down the a9lh road. I'm already comfortable in my emunand bubble, it works and even though it may sound stupid to others I'm rather happy to stay in that bubble. I've grown attached to that hidden partition in the corner of my SD Card haha

Naturally, moving away from Menuhax is nicer as I don't have to deal with the failed boots though

Last edited by SharkToothFears,

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yeah, not having to install DSiWare and GBA VC twice is the only real advantage. The other ones aren't as irrefutable.

For example, saving space on SD? Not really, most people have NAND backups which take roughly as much space as an emuNAND which doesn't require a NAND backup since the sysNAND acts as one...
Faster to boot than emuNAND? You won't notice the difference, coming from menuhax...
Just need to copy to a new SD card when you get one? This happens once in a lifetime, don't tell me you can't backup/restore your emuNAND.
Etc.

I'm not saying these aren't advantages. But they are not as irrefutable as "not having to install DSiWare and GBA VC twice", which are the only real ones.
So it's your choice. You can stay in that "bubble" if you don't care about DSiWare and GBA VC.

Reactions: TVL

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yet there's another reason: longevity. An EmuNAND drains battery way quickier compared to SysNAND
Same kind of not-so-irrefutable arguments. Because I could tell you that you can easily change your battery or your SD card once you have problems with them, but you won't be able to replace your NAND so easily when it wears out. But my argument is weak too, the NAND is not going to wear out anytime soon (well, I hope :P)... So we could argue for days with these kind of meaningless arguments, the only thing that makes the difference is DSiWare and GBA VC. No one can say "no, you don't have to install them twice".

Elveman

Just passing by
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Same kind of not-so-irrefutable arguments. Because I could tell you that you can easily change your battery or your SD card once you have problems with them, but you won't be able to replace your NAND so easily when it wears out. But my argument is weak too, the NAND is not going to wear out anytime soon (well, I hope :P)... So we could argue for days with these kind of meaningless arguments, the only thing that makes the difference is DSiWare and GBA VC. No one can say "no, you don't have to install them twice".
Yeah, except that will cost ya your money and time (and nerves when your 3DS suddenly will be blinking with red after 3 hrs of play) and those things are not appearing out of nowhere. The same can be said about MSET vs A9LH - it's just this extra minute that you need to enter the CFW, quite minuscule amount of time, right?

SharkToothFears

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What's the point of this post if you aren't thinking about it in the first place?
Because as I said, its time to move away from the outdated menuhax and gain the benefits of a9lh. But from that, why do I have to follow convention and use sysnand when i can just use my emunand? I have the right to get the opinions of others, even the snarky opinions like yours :)

Reactions: Aristox-0

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Metal tapes even