Hacking emuNAND and devmenu (without gateway)...Is it possible?

mikeylevi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically what the title says. What I'm looking for is to be able to install .cia to my gateway emunand WITHOUT paying $80 for a card...call me cheap but I shouldn't have to pay to play backups and enable piracy.

Ethics, morals, and personal opinions aside (do NOT start an argument because you have an opinion), would .cia installation be possible on emunand without a gateway card? Could ctrclient be reworked into a manner that works with emunand? Thanks for reading.

lemanuel

Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Basically what the title says. What I'm looking for is to be able to install .cia to my gateway emunand WITHOUT paying $80 for a card...call me cheap but I shouldn't have to pay to play backups and enable piracy.

Ethics, morals, and personal opinions aside (do NOT start an argument because you have an opinion), would .cia installation be possible on emunand without a gateway card? Could ctrclient be reworked into a manner that works with emunand? Thanks for reading.

You can. With CFW. Good luck playing recent games though.

Intronaut

A star maker
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Even if you install it, you need a way to run unsigned CIAs. Only Gateway and CFW have that feature in their respective mode, blocking signature checking.

mikeylevi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can. With CFW. Good luck playing recent games though.

I'm aware as I am running 4.5 Palantine cfw.

Only Gateway and CFW have that feature in their respective mode, blocking signature checking.

Isn't emunand GW mode? Can't you run unsigned .cia in emunand?

I know devmenu can be installed to emunand with a gateway cartridge, I'm looking to install devmenu without the cartridge. I didnt have to pay to enable this shit on my wii, I won't do it now.

lemanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

I know devmenu can be installed to emunand with a gateway cartridge, I'm looking to install devmenu without the cartridge. I didnt have to pay to enable this shit on my wii, I won't do it now.

No. Emunand is a copy of your sysnand. That's why you can run GW Mode without having emunand. It will simply use your sysnand.

You're free to not pay. Just wait for a while and maybe some better CFW will come eventually. But you seem to think that you're entitled to everything without paying since others are obviously working for you. So good luck with that :)

mikeylevi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. Emunand is a copy of your sysnand. That's why you can run GW Mode without having emunand. It will simply use your sysnand.

You're free to not pay. Just wait for a while and maybe some better CFW will come eventually. But you seem to think that you're entitled to everything without paying since others are obviously working for you. So good luck with that :)

Lol I know I'm not entitled to anything besides the systems and games I actually bought. Nobody is entitled to piracy or any of that jazz, I just simply won't pay for it. I'm not begging or anything or demanding someone make it, I was just curious as to if something was possible.

I'm enjoying Palantine's CFW plenty for now, being able to install and run unsigned .cia is sweet as hell. Feels awesome playing pokemon blue all over again. :V
But anyway, thanks for giving me some insight man. Hope to see some sweet things in the future from the smart minds behind all this 3ds modding. (except gateway. I reallyyyyy dislike gateway.)

lemanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Lol I know I'm not entitled to anything besides the systems and games I actually bought. Nobody is entitled to piracy or any of that jazz, I just simply won't pay for it. I'm not begging or anything or demanding someone make it, I was just curious as to if something was possible.

I'm enjoying Palantine's CFW plenty for now, being able to install and run unsigned .cia is sweet as hell. Feels awesome playing pokemon blue all over again. :V
But anyway, thanks for giving me some insight man. Hope to see some sweet things in the future from the smart minds behind all this 3ds modding. (except gateway. I reallyyyyy dislike gateway.)

Well... it's like I said, aside from a better CFW, there's no other way since CFW simply uses what GW Mode uses.

And remember, without GW, you wouldn't be able to be running unsigned .cias right now. CFW started from work based on their work.

plasma

GBAtemp's Artificial Lifeform
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nice, there're some games in 5.1 that I want to try, and still debating whether or not to get a gateway. There are plenty of 6.x and under games that should keep my busy :P

Honestly, if you have the money for it, I'd advise getting a GW somewhere down the line
I was debating to use CFW before I got my GW but the options were not feasible for me. (I ended up importing games and using RegionThree)

Intronaut

A star maker
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile

As lemanuel said, emuNAND is a feature, not GW mode itself. Gateway has two modes: GW mode and Classic mode. You can run both of them without having emuNAND, but anyway, its safer to use one, because if you do something wrong in sysNAND, you may brick your console. As a sandbox, if you do something wrong, you will only softbrick the emuNAND, and you will be able to create another one. Also, you can update your emuNAND to last firmware, and enjoy newer games without update your sysNAND. OK, but emuNAND itself is not able to run unsigned code, because as a copy of sysNAND, it does signature checkings. For that task, you need a way to patch the NAND to avoid that checkings.

For GW users, you can appreciate a difference between modes:

-GW Mode: Allow the use of multi-rom menu. Allows the execution of unsigned code.
-Classic Mode: Allows only the execution of signed code.

For CFW, you can do the same:

-"CFW" mode: pressing L in the boot of emuNAND. Allows the execution of unsigned code.
-Classic mode: not pressing L in the boot of emuNAND. Allows only the execution of signed code

If you see, in Classic mode the emuNAND isn't patched, so the signature checkings are still working.

If you get a Gateway, you can do a little experiment. Install in GW mode an unsigned CIA (most of them are unsigned). Go to classic mode and try to execute it.

A better CFW? Maybe, but AFAIK, CFW is not open-source, so we can only improve it with RE, except if you're yellow8 or if you have access to his code.

illicit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes you can, you dont even need a ds catridge. as long as its 9.2 or under and not a 2ds you can downgrade and install cfw. youre limited to cia games before 7.X encrypt though.

lemanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
As lemanuel said, emuNAND is a feature, not GW mode itself. Gateway has two modes: GW mode and Classic mode. You can run both of them without having emuNAND,
You can't run Classic Mode without emunand. It only uses emunand. At least it was like that in the past. I didn't test it recently.

Intronaut

A star maker
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
You can't run Classic Mode without emunand. It only uses emunand. At least it was like that in the past. I didn't test it recently.

I have a little 3DS with 4.5, and testing, I was able to enter classic mode in sysnand with the last Gateway 3.0.5.

But, seriously. Use Gateway to enter sysnand classic mode? I think nobody uses that option in that context :lol:

lemanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I have a little 3DS with 4.5, and testing, I was able to enter classic mode in sysnand with the last Gateway 3.0.5.

But, seriously. Use Gateway to enter sysnand classic mode? I think nobody uses that option in that context :lol:

True. lol

But it's good to know that it changed. That way if someone asks, I won't say anything wrong. I don't know when they changed that but in the past it wasn't possible.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1