emunand 9.2 to 9.5.

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by knewknow, Dec 31, 2015.

1. knewknow
    OP

knewknow Member

Newcomer
    Dec 1, 2006
    Canada
    I'm running emunand RX-E 9.2.0-20U. What's currently the best way to update it to 9.5?

2. Lemon_

Lemon_ Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 31, 2015
    Argentina
    N3DS: sysupdater.
    o3DS: System Update via RX-E settings.

3. knewknow
    OP

knewknow Member

Newcomer
    Dec 1, 2006
    Canada
    Thanks Lemon. It's an n3ds. sysupdater it is. Regards...

4. Just3DS

Just3DS GBAtemp Fan

Jan 31, 2015
    You have to run SYSUpdater in RXTools RX-E Devmode.

Last edited by Just3DS, Dec 31, 2015
  5. knewknow
    OP

knewknow Member

Newcomer
    Dec 1, 2006
    Canada
    hmm... Any help getting to devmode? When the n3ds boots I get a purple screen with a few selections and then a 3 second delay before auto booting to RX-E 9.2.

6. Just3DS

Just3DS GBAtemp Fan

Jan 31, 2015
    Not exactly how you do it but I think you need to hold down a shoulder button while it boots to open menu.

If you try to run and update using SYSUpdater outside devmode it will end up bricking.

Try going through RXTools topic or maybe someone else can help.

7. Tony_93

Tony_93 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 13, 2015
    United States
    California
    DO NOT USE DEV MODE!!!

DEVMODE BOOTS INTO SYSNAND AND WILL UPDATE YOUR SYSNAND!!!
    Dev Mode is used to avoid bricking your system while updating SYSNAND... Not emunand.

(That is also the reason why you are getting looped back to menuhax by the way, as it boots sysnand again it reads your hacked theme data and loops back to the hack).

To update emunand just run sysupdater from emunand as you would play any game.

Last edited by Tony_93, Dec 31, 2015
  8. Just3DS

Just3DS GBAtemp Fan

Jan 31, 2015
    Thanks for clarifying it for me as well.

9. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    Dev mode would not be needed for emunand anyway (even if devmode could load emunand), because firmlaunch doesn't matter in a cfw emunand. Okay sysupdater won't be able to update NATIVE_FIRM, but you never actually use the NATIVE_FIRM that's installed to nand anyway, firmlaunch always load a higher version regardless.

The reason why it bricks sysnand is because the 3DS doesn't use all those extra patches and hacks that CFW uses when loading. So if you updated while firmlaunch was enabled, then it wouldn't update NATIVE_FIRM, and then once you try powering on again, it can't actually run since NATIVE_FIRM is incorrect compared to the rest of the firmware.

If you were able to power on your 3DS and have it instantly load CFW + all patches including firmlaunch before sysnand even loads then it would work. This is basically what happens with emunand, it loads it with all the patches enabled including firmlaunch. But because that isn't possible that's why people get bricked when they try using sysupdater to update when firmlaunch is enabled.

kiwiis likes this.
  10. Superbossboo

Superbossboo The Regular

Aug 19, 2015
    United States
    Los Angeles
    So I've tried updating emunand to 9.5, I get a black screen. (With sysupdater and update files). Am I not supposed to use RX mode?

11. artur3004

artur3004 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 31, 2015
    Gambia, The
    You can update emunand by installing all 9.5.0-23 system cia's, but nintendo deleted all titles from their server which are older than fw 9.9, so you have to google to find an 9.5.0-23 EUR/J/EUR package, then install them with Devmenu, technically, you can use FBI, too, but FBI failed at some cia's installation when I tried, no problems with devmenu

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

was to slow, i used gw mode, don't know if rxmode works or not - ithink your emunand may be bricked now - reformat emunand and try it again

12. knewknow
    OP

knewknow Member

Newcomer
    Dec 1, 2006
    Canada
    Everything worked out great. Installed sysupdater 4.1 cia with FBI. Put the 9.5 update files (many .cia's) into update folder in root. Ran sysupdater and it updated, rebooted itself and it came back on 9.5. All must be done in emunand (obviously).