Homebrew Emulation Emulators for Libnds?

Deleted member 587507

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Hello! I am currently trying to find some emulators that I can put in my Libnds game.

Any console emulator would be fine but I would really like,
- NES
- Game Boy/Game Boy Color
- Game Boy Advance
- SNES

Please include a link to the emulator's source code!

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
  • NES: NesDS (Public Domain)
  • GB(C): GameYob (MIT)
  • GBA: GBARunner2 (no license/all rights reseved)
  • SNES: This one's a bit trickier, the best is SNEmulDS (GPL 2) but it's best version is TGDS not libnds... there is an old version that's libnds but it doesn't work natively on DSi and isn't quite as good

Though for all of these instead of building the code into your game directly it would probably work a lot better to simply bundle their normal builds and boot them, all four of those support argv so you can just boot it with the path to the ROM as argv.

Deleted member 587507

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
  • NES: NesDS (Public Domain)
  • GB(C): GameYob (MIT)
  • GBA: GBARunner2 (no license/all rights reseved)
  • SNES: This one's a bit trickier, the best is SNEmulDS (GPL 2) but it's best version is TGDS not libnds... there is an old version that's libnds but it doesn't work natively on DSi and isn't quite as good

Though for all of these instead of building the code into your game directly it would probably work a lot better to simply bundle their normal builds and boot them, all four of those support argv so you can just boot it with the path to the ROM as argv.
The only thing about booting them is that I want to do other things with the DS at the same time. Example, top screen is GB emulator, and while that is going on, the bottom screen has maybe a platformer of something. Maybe that's weird Idk I want to do that tho. Thanks for helping, I'll have to look at those!

Reactions: Pk11

elhobbs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thing about booting them is that I want to do other things with the DS at the same time. Example, top screen is GB emulator, and while that is going on, the bottom screen has maybe a platformer of something. Maybe that's weird Idk I want to do that tho. Thanks for helping, I'll have to look at those!
Emulators are extremely resource and cpu intensive. And the ds does not have a lot of either one. Emulators often struggle to run by themselves. It will be a challenge to run an emulator plus something else at the same time.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

With the regular DS hardware, that's not going to be possible. It has no underlying operating system, nor the resources to support such an OS (it has two processors clocked at 66MHz and 33MHz, and 4MB of on-board RAM). Once a *.nds file loads, it has complete control over every aspect of the hardware.

With Moonshell you can listen to music while browsing pictures, so there's that. DSOrganize had some very limited multitasking abilities as well I believe.

DSLinux is the only true instance of real multitasking on the DS, and that required slot-2 RAM to function in text-only mode. With DSLinux I could browse the web in one virtual shell via the text-based LINKS or RETAWQ browser, stream an online radio station in a second virtual shell (WGET piped to MP3play), and use the third virtual shell for editing a text file with VI or NANO.

Last edited by DanTheManMS,
Reactions: Tarmfot

Deleted member 587507

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Emulators are extremely resource and cpu intensive. And the ds does not have a lot of either one. Emulators often struggle to run by themselves. It will be a challenge to run an emulator plus something else at the same time.
So basically, I can't run the emulator AND do other things at the same time?
But they can be in the same ROM together?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over