Emulation games going forward a thing of the past?

Jayinem

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now that Ryujinx has agreed to stop with their emulator I was thinking about it, we not only have no Switch emulators that are actively being worked on, but emulation as a whole may be dead all together. There was some news recently that Xbox One had 6 games working or at least playable, but to me the interest will not be high for that because Microsoft started putting all of their exclusives on PC where the emulator would be working anyway, the only exceptions were Halo 5 and 1 or 2 other decent exclusives like Rare Replay (which Rare Replay is a collection of older games you play on other emulators right now)

If I'm a dev am I going to put in all of the work for a Switch emulator just to possibly be sued by Nintendo? And same would go for Switch 2. However both Yuzu and Ryujinx were profiting off their emulators with patreons so who knows, maybe someone would be up for the task and do it non-profit.

Maybe one day in the future we will get a working PS4 emulator. But as it stands right now emulation in gaming as a whole looks very bleak.

I wish you could edit thread titles like you can posts, I'd like to correct it to emulating games not emulation games. Oh well.

• Haha
Reactions: ChibiMofo

Aergisgeist

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the modern era with modern consoles, I think the outlook is sadly a bit dim. I imagine emulating older games will continue strong in one way or another, with users passing around access to "prohibited" emulators.

Lumpofcoal

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
There will be other talented folks. Just that it may not come as soon as some of you would like it too, making an emu isn't a walk in the park after all.

Besides, the ryujinx team may not be completely out of the picture. Depending on the agreement, it could just be specifically for ryujinx. If so, that technically means that the dev is free to work on one for switch 2 under a different name.......at least until ninty offers a second payout :wub: for them to stop again.

It also means that those who are not parties to the agreement are free to continue with ryujinx as well.

Jayinem

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is stopping you from creating your own emulator ?

Probably the same reason stopping you, unless you want to reveal the great emulator you're working on for us.

What a stupid response.
Post automatically merged:

In the modern era with modern consoles, I think the outlook is sadly a bit dim. I imagine emulating older games will continue strong in one way or another, with users passing around access to "prohibited" emulators.

For sure I mean even Yuzu and Citra emulators can be found even though they were discontinued in March. Once it's on the internet when it comes to something gaming it's impossible to scrub it completely because of sites like archive.org. I just mean going forward.

bIFvXFSP

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Probably the same reason stopping you, unless you want to reveal the great emulator you're working on for us.

What a stupid response.
Post automatically merged:

For sure I mean even Yuzu and Citra emulators can be found even though they were discontinued in March. Once it's on the internet when it comes to something gaming it's impossible to scrub it completely because of sites like archive.org. I just mean going forward.
Well I not the one complaining about it. I didn't know it is stupid to ask a question.

Scarftail

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thankfully, if Nintendo is smart, their next console's hardware will be solid enough to not encourage people to emulate it, much like how nearly everyone who bought any console from the PS4 onward was content with the hardware. Although, lack of freedom with things like mods will take some getting used to.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Entropy Trap
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I honestly think once the Switch is dead, Nintendo will slowly stop focusing on Switch emotion and we will see more projects popping up. Right now, it seems like Nintendo is cracking down on Switch emulation because it's a current system and because Nintendo loves to try and leave users with very few options toward the end of their current systems.

Jayinem

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly think once the Switch is dead, Nintendo will slowly stop focusing on Switch emotion and we will see more projects popping up. Right now, it seems like Nintendo is cracking down on Switch emulation because it's a current system and because Nintendo loves to try and leave users with very few options toward the end of their current systems.

From what I understand both Yuzu and Ryujinx (and Citra because Citra and Yuzu are the same devs) had patreons, so they were making $$$ off of it. Maybe if a dev tomorrow starts working on an emulator for no profit nothing will happen to them, but maybe Nintendo would try to go after them anyway who knows.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now that Ryujinx has agreed to stop with their emulator I was thinking about it, we not only have no Switch emulators that are actively being worked on, but emulation as a whole may be dead all together. There was some news recently that Xbox One had 6 games working or at least playable, but to me the interest will not be high for that because Microsoft started putting all of their exclusives on PC where the emulator would be working anyway, the only exceptions were Halo 5 and 1 or 2 other decent exclusives like Rare Replay (which Rare Replay is a collection of older games you play on other emulators right now)

If I'm a dev am I going to put in all of the work for a Switch emulator just to possibly be sued by Nintendo? And same would go for Switch 2. However both Yuzu and Ryujinx were profiting off their emulators with patreons so who knows, maybe someone would be up for the task and do it non-profit.

Maybe one day in the future we will get a working PS4 emulator. But as it stands right now emulation in gaming as a whole looks very bleak.

I wish you could edit thread titles like you can posts, I'd like to correct it to emulating games not emulation games. Oh well.
Well no the entire thing is you don't try and emulate the current gen platform.

Reactions: bIFvXFSP

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Correction: Emulation in gaming has never, ever been better than it is right now. I can run virtually every Switch game in existence at higher res and at a higher refresh rate than on real hardware, and we have never had such accurate emulation in the past for so many platforms. Even this month we are getting XBox One support for the few exclusives that platform has (with a similar PS4 translation layer in development). And software publishers have never relied on emulation more than they are doing right now, and that includes Nintendo itself.

Emulation isn't going anywhere. It's only going to get better. And frankly, we have over 20,000 great games to choose from already. How many more do we realistically need?

Jayinem

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Correction: Emulation in gaming has never, ever been better than it is right now. I can run virtually every Switch game in existence at higher res and at a higher refresh rate than on real hardware, and we have never had such accurate emulation in the past for so many platforms. Even this month we are getting XBox One support for the few exclusives that platform has (with a similar PS4 translation layer in development). And software publishers have never relied on emulation more than they are doing right now, and that includes Nintendo itself.

Emulation isn't going anywhere. It's only going to get better. And frankly, we have over 20,000 great games to choose from already. How many more do we realistically need?

Why bother to reply with this if you can't bother to read the first post? I clearly said the future which you are wrong about btw, 6 Xbox One games does not mean some great future for it necessarily at all, I am well aware of emulated games that have already happened. Too many of you are impulsive too quick to reply with something that you expect someone to read but too lazy to read yourself.

You literally laughed at my post when you didn't read it, I can tell by your reply. You even mentioned the Xbox One "few exclusives" when I already talked about it. You're literally acting like 3-5 games on Xbox One that are exclusive are going to make emulation great lol oh yeah the great Halo 5 that sucked the Forza that was exclusive that sucked and Rare Replay which are games that can already be emulated, what a bright future. Lame as hell.

It literally says "emulation going forward" and you bring up the vast amount of games that have already been emulated which is off topic , has nothing to do with this thread. I've noticed the people that are most confrontational with me usually have the lowest IQs. So I know I'm doing fine.

Switch is shut down no PS4 emulator in sight and Xbox One was shit when it came to exclusives, wow such a great future for emulation.

Last edited by Jayinem,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.techspot.com/news/104965-gskill-unveils-ultra-high-performance-48gb-ddr5-9000.html