Gaming Emulating DS Games

ureru

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm not sure if this is the place to ask this, but I think that "NDS - Emulation and Homebrew" is where you talk about emulators that run on the DS... Whereas I'm talking about emulators used to run DS games, on the PC.

[EDIT: Ooops, this definitely goes under "Computer Programming, Emulation, and Game Modding," please move it there...]

I'd like to know, what are your recommendations for emulating DS games? I know about desmume and no$gba and others, but I want to hear from you guys what you think is good and why. And if you know of an emulator that would emulate local wireless (as in, the ability to connect to a nearby DS, wirelessly) well, I'd especially like to know about that. I know that many people don't like it when you ask about emulating wi-fi, and I'm not sure if it is that way here, but is it the same if I ask about emulating local wireless?

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd recommend trying to find a cheap DS. There's a couple of good emulators (which you've already found it seems) but using the mouse for the touch screen still isn't as convenient as the touch screen. There really aren't many options for DS emulation on PC.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Keep a copy of no$gba and a copy of the latest build on the main website (whether you want to go latest source/SVN version is a different matter). Some people flank no$gba with no$zoomer (not sure where the current downloads are) and others like to fiddle with the desmume settings on a per game basis. Try those later if you want.

Local wifi I am not sure about -- local play on normal consoles is easy enough but handhelds have their own protocol (and the DS has its own take on wifi for local play). Actual wifi you can do, however as wifi is down you will need to send it through http://gbatemp.net/threads/save-nin...e-online-servers-for-ds-and-wii-games.362717/ which is also down right now unless you want to set up your own server. Local wifi for homebrew and wifi for homebrew in general is probably doable in desmume but I am not sure of the specifics there.
Also as you asked. If you are going to be asking about cheating on wifi then you will not get far around here, getting unbanned is 50/50 and simply using an emulator/hacked device to get on wifi is fine, though if the hacks render wifi unusable then when someone says that take it as read and do not ask "what if I..." because even if there is one it is probably still hideously complex and annoying.

You may also like to read http://gbatemp.net/threads/hi-resolution-ds-emulation.364549/

On touchscreens and emulation. Yeah it is not great, however there are a load of great games you can still play without it. That said though a DS/DS lite and cheapo wood compatible flash cart is not a lot of money and a far nicer proposition for a lot of things.

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

I'd have to agree with TecXero on that one. DSes are usually really cheap and flashcarts usually are too, depending on which one you're wanting to buy.
I bought a DS Lite for around $20 CAD (€13.25) a little while ago, and before that, an R4i Gold 3DS and micro SD for it for around $25 CAD (€16.89).

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
i preefer desmume, since its more configurable than the nocash gba...

however, for emulating wifi, you are out of luck, there is not one that is able to do that...
nocash gba can emulate several gbas and you can play local multiplayer..
as for DS. the only emulator with wifi that exists is a 9.7 build (and i think a 9.6 too) that i never was able to make it work.. and there is no support for it, it was a beta\alpha option that is pratically abandoned and not available on new versions
however they emulate online, there is no local..

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Get a cheap DS, not only because of the missing touch screen experience and augmented experience based on gimmicks pulled out using the hardware (see Another Code e.g.), but also because emulation is never perfect, not even for DS.
The other day I was trying to play Project Diva on PPSSPP with a PC that is way above requirements, all went fluid and beautiful but there was some slight lag in there, perhaps in the audio, control response or video, I don't know...
The game that is based on precise timing and reaction was almost unplayable.
I still miss my lost PSP.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
No$GBA is faster, but DeSmuME has higher compatibility AFAIK. In most cases you will probably want to use DesMuME if your PC is fast enough.

I can't find anything that confirms NiFi (local wireless) being possible in either No$GBA or DesMuME, it seems like there's been some work done on it but no one has figured out how to make it work so it's not possible for now. Nintendo WFC is possible on DesMuME with the use of a server emulator like wiimmfi.

AsPika2219

Pikachu going beach!
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Desmume = Have search cheat codes function!
No$gba = Have debugger to make ASM codes!

Meanwhile, Demonic722 want Martin Korth (nocash) add search memory or search cheat codes into his No$gba, but still not make it..... :(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o