Hacking eMMC error - dead internal memory

chankarik

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So, I have come to the conclusion that the eMMC board on my Switch may be dead or non-functioning, since no apps or tools can 'see' the internal memory. I have tried pretty much everything I could, except trying to restore the NAND Backup I have from an earlier version (6.2), because I believe it will just give me some sort of message showing that eMMC can't be used or so (am I wrong?).

I see that I could buy a replacement eMMC piece from ebay and aliexpress for a somewhat cheap price (~20), and I was thinking:

- can I replace the memory and install a new firmware to it? Maybe even my backup?
- Should I try to rebuild my NAND in the current state it is now, even if everything seems to point to a hardware fault?
- are there any diagnostics that can show me if the problem is indeed hardware?

Thanks in advance for your time.

P3T3

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You don’t upgrade emmc unless you have solder skills, first try nand restore, if not buy a new switch emmc off eBay! They unclip and clip, simple install, then flash the new emmc with your nand backup!

chankarik

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Got it. I will give a try to restoring the NAND and let you guys know. Thanks for the attention - hoping for the best!

Canna

Bad Ass Poisonous Mushroom
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only think bigger nand size chips, or upgrades require fs.kip patching, or patching in the prodinfo...

You are saying your nand is not detectable,? Not sure how you come to that,

Firstly
i would use memloader and hacdiskmount to see if you can atleast mount the nand, it should show your partitions instantly...

Secondly
keep your old backup some were safe, and try to create a new backup, hekate should backup if it finds a structure and files to backup...

Thirdly.
if you cannot see any partitions i would use
gptrestore payload. To fix any errors you may have

Last but not least.

For your files,information/contents of your nand to just suddenly dissapear, seems very odd,If you was messing with something you shouldnt then, need to explain that first...So we can better assist you... Nand tinkering is a dangerous thing,

So if not user error then can be hardware failure,i doubt but can happen,Using another module of same chip type brand and model should work, yes it does matter that it matches exactly..You still may need to spoof/patch it or you may get a ban.< as its detectable..

If you dropped the console or knocked hard, it could be that the module somehow displaced it self also very doubtfull but a least resort to check.

So, if you have a backup already, try to restore it.
If you do not have a backup, then try to backup,
YOUR PROD INFO AND PRODINFO F ARE VERY IMPORTANT..
Them combined with your biskeys can restore pretty much any switch (TO WHICH THEM FILES BELONG)..

So try the methods or ideas i have mentioned before you even think of getting a new module...

Switch does not require a nand module to boot into hekate or rcm,

Last edited by Canna,
Reactions: chankarik

chankarik

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I have tried to restore my backup - and the message it shows me is 'Failed to init eMMC'.

About memloader and hackdiskmount - What exactly I should do with both?

Update: Results from GPT Restore

Decompressing GPT prefix and suffix were OK.
Then...
Failed to init eMMC.
Press the Power button to restore console.

Update 2: Results from Hekate

Tried dumping backups of every single backup option it offers, and the result is the same: Failed to init eMMC.

Update 3: HacDisk

It doesn't show the eMMC as a source to mount. So I guess this corroborates the hardware failure of the eMMC once again.

BTW, I should add that I hadn't messed with the NAND. I would just install stuff on the SD, out of fear for installing something faulty to the NAND. This specific error started to show up back in January, always after leaving the console in Sleep Mode for a few hours. I would just re-inject the payload and it would work. Last Sunday, it took me several tries to inject the payload to make it work. And now, no matter how many tries I do, it just won't 'stick'. I feel like the problem developed gradually, not overnight.

I can inject the payloads on RCM, no problem. They can read stuff from the SD and such - but whenever it needs to reach for the eMMC, it says the same: Failed to init eMMC.

Also, I had been banned months ago, so that's not a problem for me now.

Last edited by chankarik,
Reactions: mathew77

chankarik

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Funnily enough, I have JUST noticed the battery was at 0.4% when I injected Hekate, which is weird since it had been resting in the dock. But I guess that might be because of RCM being left on, instead of powering off the device somehow.

FanboyKilla

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Funnily enough, I have JUST noticed the battery was at 0.4% when I injected Hekate, which is weird since it had been resting in the dock. But I guess that might be because of RCM being left on, instead of powering off the device somehow.

Yeah that's not good. How about leaving it plugged in for a few hours and then try again?

P3T3

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Boot your payload, sometimes it will charge there if not remove auto rcm, shut down, charge for a few hours. See what happens.

Canna

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HACDISK WONT SHOW THE SOURCE TO MOUNT UNLESS YOU USE MEMLOADER PAYLOAD FIRST..

place the files from the memloader zip, the files in the sample directory to the root of your sd then load the memloader payload and select emmc..

Then use hacdiskmount...

...................CHARGE YOUR BATTERY FIRST BEFORE ANYTHING...............

But id suggest, loading into hekate, and leaving it on that screen, and charging ya switch..

What is ya bat percent ?

chankarik

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
HACDISK WONT SHOW THE SOURCE TO MOUNT UNLESS YOU USE MEMLOADER PAYLOAD FIRST..

place the files from the memloader zip, the files in the sample directory to the root of your sd then load the memloader payload and select emmc..

Then use hacdiskmount...

...................CHARGE YOUR BATTERY FIRST BEFORE ANYTHING...............

But id suggest, loading into hekate, and leaving it on that screen, and charging ya switch..

What is ya bat percent ?

So I have to run the eMMC sample while connected to a PC that has the HacDisk tool open? Whenever I tried to use memloader by itself and load the sample, it would show me an error message very quickly and turn the console off. I couldnt read the message. No signs on the computer indicating it was trying to open the memory as a file system on Windows.

Battery is fine, btw.

Canna

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have to run the eMMC sample while connected to a PC that has the HacDisk tool open? Whenever I tried to use memloader by itself and load the sample, it would show me an error message very quickly and turn the console off. I couldnt read the message. No signs on the computer indicating it was trying to open the memory as a file system on Windows.

Battery is fine, btw.

DOWNLOAD MEMLOADER
EXTRACT THE ZIP.
PLACE THE FILES FROM THE SAMPLES FOLDER
AND COPY THEM TO THE ROOT OF THE SD CARD
PLACE SD CARD IN SWITCH
RUN THE PAYLOAD
SELECT OPTION EMMC
RUN HACDISKMOUNT SELECT OPEN PHYSICAL DRIVE
Do you see partitions ?
CaptureS.JPG

CaptureSS.JPG

mattytrog

You don`t want to listen to anything I say.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Your board needs looking at mate.

You are losing 3v or CLK somewhere I`m guessing.

No amount of memloadering or hacdiskmounting will sort this one.

The BTB from emmc needs probing back to the Tegra.

Send it this way if you like. I don`t mind taking a look. I had a unit come in with failed emmc just before xmas. Turned out to be some kind of acid damage or corroded liquid damage, on just one trace. It is very rare for the actual chips to fail. It is normally something leading to the emmc chip that is letting you down.

Cheers
Matty

Canna

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your board needs looking at mate.

You are losing 3v or CLK somewhere I`m guessing.

No amount of memloadering or hacdiskmounting will sort this one.

The BTB from emmc needs probing back to the Tegra.

Send it this way if you like. I don`t mind taking a look. I had a unit come in with failed emmc just before xmas. Turned out to be some kind of acid damage or corroded liquid damage, on just one trace. It is very rare for the actual chips to fail. It is normally something leading to the emmc chip that is letting you down.

Cheers
Matty

What i thought originally , hardware failure ..
Hope you are well matty boy im back in uk now , moving out to usa in 8 months...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn