SELECT OPTION EMMC
RUN HACDISKMOUNT SELECT OPEN PHYSICAL DRIVE
Do you see partitions ?
View attachment 160911
View attachment 160912
Nope, no partitions.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Your board needs looking at mate.

You are losing 3v or CLK somewhere I`m guessing.

No amount of memloadering or hacdiskmounting will sort this one.

The BTB from emmc needs probing back to the Tegra.

Send it this way if you like. I don`t mind taking a look. I had a unit come in with failed emmc just before xmas. Turned out to be some kind of acid damage or corroded liquid damage, on just one trace. It is very rare for the actual chips to fail. It is normally something leading to the emmc chip that is letting you down.

Cheers
Matty

Hey Matty.

Thanks for giving my case a look. You see, I can't send it over to you because I am in Brazil and can't afford the freight. I do have some experience with soldering and assembling-disassembling electronics (that's how I fixed my joycons for one), so I'm down for suggestions. I wish I had the money to actually pay for your time and work, but me & the wife have been struggling with rent.

If you somehow still want to give me a hand, I'm all ears. I am sure we can proceed with some kind of remote 'surgery' for diagnosing if I can follow any steps you send my way.

Yeah, I'm desperate as heck. The Switch was one of the few pleasures we've had to deal with all the storm that's going on. And I know I won't be able to just buy another, since they cost roughly 500-600 dollars over here. Our rent alone is around 250 dollars a month.

I used to buy consoles and games, no troubles, a few years ago. But for the past 5 or so years, the country's economy has been shit. I bought the Switch when it costed around $350, last year. Now the prices have hiked up (for pretty much everything). Before that, I had had the Wii U and 3DS - and made several videos on tutorials to help Brazilians to install homebrew. Never thought I'd end up with a tough-as-nails case myself.

chankarik

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Update: I have just found out that the dock isn't charging the Switch, nor sending the image of Hekate to the tv (should it?).

It behaves as if it's being handheld while in dock, screen on and all. When it touches the contacts on the dock, there is a very brief flash of the green LED and nothing else.

I have to wonder if power surges from power outages (power was blinking for a good 10 seconds, more than once due to storms in January and February, before going out for hours) have somehow damaged the eMMC.

This error happened gradually - I couldn't load the payload easily since then, requiring several tries that got worse and worse by the time, until it stopped reading the eMMC at all.

Also, the error would show up whenever I had the Switch in sleep mode for the night, after playing in bed. I would then try to turn it on again, and it would seldomly give me that error, not booting even Horizon. I had to rerun RCM and inject the payload again.

SuzieJoeBob

NOT a New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update: I have just found out that the dock isn't charging the Switch, nor sending the image of Hekate to the tv (should it?).

It behaves as if it's being handheld while in dock, screen on and all. When it touches the contacts on the dock, there is a very brief flash of the green LED and nothing else.

I have to wonder if power surges from power outages (power was blinking for a good 10 seconds, more than once due to storms in January and February, before going out for hours) have somehow damaged the eMMC.

This error happened gradually - I couldn't load the payload easily since then, requiring several tries that got worse and worse by the time, until it stopped reading the eMMC at all.

Also, the error would show up whenever I had the Switch in sleep mode for the night, after playing in bed. I would then try to turn it on again, and it would seldomly give me that error, not booting even Horizon. I had to rerun RCM and inject the payload again.
Are you using the original Switch dock? I remember people were using the Nyko dock and were frying the USB-C ports on their Switches. If using the Nyko one, maybe this is a super extreme example?

Reactions: chankarik

SuzieJoeBob

NOT a New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have a triwing screwdriver and Philips screwdriver small enough to open your switch? If there are hardware issue with the eMMC, opening your Switch and looking for burn marks or a broken/loose component.
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nintendo+Switch+Teardown/78263

Once the metal shield covering the circuit board is removed, the eMMC is right there.

chankarik

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Do you have a triwing screwdriver and Philips screwdriver small enough to open your switch? If there are hardware issue with the eMMC, opening your Switch and looking for burn marks or a broken/loose component.
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nintendo+Switch+Teardown/78263

Once the metal shield covering the circuit board is removed, the eMMC is right there.
Yes, I opened it, checked everything and it all seemed to be ok. I even dettached and reattached the emmc just in case.

P3T3

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, I opened it, checked everything and it all seemed to be ok. I even dettached and reattached the emmc just in case.
Sounds like could be a bad solder point on board, get microscope or magnifying glass and check all solder points, one will probably not look shiney, will be dull silver, reflow should fix it if a bad solder point.

chankarik

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Sounds like could be a bad solder point on board, get microscope or magnifying glass and check all solder points, one will probably not look shiney, will be dull silver, reflow should fix it if a bad solder point.
Thanks, I will give it a try.

CTCaer

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Based on the problem with eMMC and the "can't charge" one, your BM92T chip is dead.

You need to replace it and also make sure to never use that wall outlet again and also to only use the official charger for your dock.

P3T3

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Based on the problem with eMMC and the "can't charge" one, your BM92T chip is dead.

You need to replace it and also make sure to never use that wall outlet again and also to only use the official charger for your dock.

They said charging was not the issue ((I also missed that :))think he got it working), so not shore if BM92T is the issue there CTC, sound like it’s dead along the the emmc line somewhere.

CTCaer

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
He said battery is ok, which is irrelevant with BM92T.

If it doesn't charge and the battery is not at 4.2V then the problem is on BM92T.
But even if it is at 4.2V, the BM92T is needed for the supplementary power mode.
So it needs to be checked at least.

chankarik

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The controller wasn't charging because the ribbon cable wasn't attached properly, as I have just found out. It's all fine now.

Is there any way I could diagnose the battery? I can get a report from Hekate, I think, so would that be conclusive info?

Also, I have managed to take some photos of my eMMC board - and I think they show something. They definitely have some weird scratch marks that have been there since the first time I disassembled the Switch.

Please have a look:

Also, I have never used any unofficial chargers - I used to leave it at the dock, that's all. Again, I have the feeling the power surges from intermittent power outages in January may have had something to do with that.

CTCaer

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
The controller wasn't charging because the ribbon cable wasn't attached properly, as I have just found out. It's all fine now.

Is there any way I could diagnose the battery? I can get a report from Hekate, I think, so would that be conclusive info?

Also, I have managed to take some photos of my eMMC board - and I think they show something. They definitely have some weird scratch marks that have been there since the first time I disassembled the Switch.

Please have a look:

Also, I have never used any unofficial chargers - I used to leave it at the dock, that's all. Again, I have the feeling the power surges from intermittent power outages in January may have had something to do with that.

Well there were reports of strange outlets killing switches or emmcs.
Yeah send a battery info.

As for the pcb there, such little scratches ain't gonna kill the traces.
You can try to install that on another switch if it's possible and check if it works.
If it doesn't, replacement pcbs with the 32GB emmc chip installed are very cheap (before many months I checked they were 12 us dollars).
And restoring your backup to them, just works.

But as a user here said, it's better to make some probing and check the voltage lines at least.

chankarik

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well there were reports of strange outlets killing switches or emmcs.
Yeah send a battery info.

As for the pcb there, such little scratches ain't gonna kill the traces.
You can try to install that on another switch if it's possible and check if it works.
If it doesn't, replacement pcbs with the 32GB emmc chip installed are very cheap (before many months I checked they were 12 us dollars).
And restoring your backup to them, just works.

But as a user here said, it's better to make some probing and check the voltage lines at least.

Right.

So, I have dumped the info to the SD - is it the fuel_gauge.bin file?

CTCaer

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
They seem normal.
The capacity now/full/design is normal to be like this, because you removed the battery and haven't booted into HOS to restore them.

As for charging I have a special hekate that restores the battery stat regs to a pristine condition backup.
If I can find it I can send it to you so you can test battery charging properly. Did you use official charger or PC for the charging photo?
(From the stats it seems it's PC)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well I believe I'm about to get hit with a spring sinus infuction
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Shame it wasn't Facebook that paused them
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Shame it wasn't Facebook that paused them