Emergency, serious glitch with a specific title, won't delete game.

mcclainaj05

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I've been trying to delete Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones from my 3DS, first I tried to do it via system settings, but it didn't work, the 3DS just shows the message "Cannot be erased," and fails to delete the game, and whenever I tried to delete the game, it would pop up as a gift-wrapped game, like when you download a brand new title on the console. So, of course, I tried the next best thing, using FBI to delete it, but that didn't work and popped up one of its error messages, so I tried seeing if it was ticket-related or something, but nope, the ticket is intact. I don't know what to do at this point other than come here and attempt to find some "experts" that'll help.

Thanks in advance, and here's the error code for FBI:

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 87

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Could be an issue with the sd card. Might have become write locked. Have you tried deleting anything else to see if that works?

An option I would also try is to reinstall a cia of the problem game then try to once again delete the game to see if that fixes the issue.

Reactions: CoolMe

mcclainaj05

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Could be an issue with the sd card. Might have become write locked. Have you tried deleting anything else to see if that works?

An option I would also try is to reinstall a cia of the problem game then try to once again delete the game to see if that fixes the issue.
1. I came across this problem while performing a mass deletion of unwanted games so yes, deleting still works fine for other games.

2. But doesn't it have to delete the original file to reinstall, I don't want to try this and have some weird brick or error of some kind. Is there any confirmation that it won't break my console?

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. I came across this problem while performing a mass deletion of unwanted games so yes, deleting still works fine for other games.
Sounds like something's up with the sd card. Was it ever tested before with h2testw, when you first installed cfw? If not, i suggest testing it now to make sure it's not faulty or defective. Make sure to backup your data before doing so.
Format the sd card before and after the test.
2. I don't want to try this and have some weird brick or error of some kind. Is there any confirmation that it won't break my console?
No! it won't brick your console.

mcclainaj05

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Sounds like something's up with the sd card. Was it ever tested before with h2testw, when you first installed cfw? If not, i suggest testing it now to make sure it's not faulty or defective. Make sure to backup your data before doing so.

I already tested the SD card once before when I had the issue where I couldn't download certain games. And I'll try what you said earlier with downloading the new cia and deleting the old one.

mcclainaj05

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

Update: Didn't work, didn't brick the console just like you said though, but HShop failed the reinstall since it requires the deletion of the game at hand (the reason I know it's because it failed to delete the file is because it re-gift wrapped itself like it does when I attempt to delete it). Should I try making a backup of the SD, formatting the sd, putting it into the 3ds for the essential files, and adding the necessary files for Luma, GM9, and Homebrew launcher (others like FBI as well), then seeing if there are any issues? Or anything like that really? (If so, please tell me how to properly do so, because as you can probably tell, I'm not 100% sure myself.)

Shifty_13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I am gonna tell you a little story.

My microSD card in my n3ds xl is half dead. I have a several corrupted titles and even some of my replays in MK7 are corrupted.

And I had decided to delete some of these corrupted titles through FBI. After deleting Pilotwings Resort (which I couldn't boot, couldn't reinstall and etc) my console kinda broke. All the games and apps that I had had dissapeared from my homescreen. I freaked out a little.

After that I found Pilotwings Resort's title id on the web. And deleted its folder on my console through GM9. After that everything returned to normal and started working.

So, just go find that title's folder on your 3ds and delete it by hand. That's my advice.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What the heck is the "emergency" for?

Should I try making a backup of the SD, formatting the sd, putting it into the 3ds for the essential files, and adding the necessary files for Luma, GM9, and Homebrew launcher (others like FBI as well), then seeing if there are any issues?
Copy everything off the SD card (use Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier preferably), format the card, test the card with h2testw for good measure, and then just copy everything back.

And I had decided to delete some of these corrupted titles through FBI.
Never delete anything in FBI that you do not recognize.

Reactions: CoolMe and impeeza

mcclainaj05

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Update: Didn't work, didn't brick the console just like you said though, but HShop failed the reinstall since it requires the deletion of the game at hand (the reason I know it's because it failed to delete the file is because it re-gift wrapped itself like it does when I attempt to delete it). Should I try making a backup of the SD, formatting the sd, putting it into the 3ds for the essential files, and adding the necessary
As for the emergency bit, tbh I think that I put that there because:
A. I was a little scared about my console failing.
B. I wanted some help quickly because of reason A.
Sorry about that.
What the heck is the "emergency" for?

Copy everything off the SD card (use Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier preferably), format the card, test the card with h2testw for good measure, and then just copy everything back.

Never delete anything in FBI that you do not recognize.
As I said, I already tested the SD card once before with H2TestW after doing the old, copy, backup, and format song and dance when I had trouble once before. I think that the SD card is fine, on the other hand, it seems that the game file itself is corrupted. Should I test the SD again?

Shifty_13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I feel like testing huge capacity SD cards is such a pain in the ass. Would rather buy a new one or keep rocking old half-broken one.

And stop being such a pussy, just backup that title's folder, if you are scared, and delete it through GM9. I don't see how you can lose access to GM9 even if something bad happens (which will not).

And ofc you should consider buying a new card. SD cards are not the most robust things in the world.

Last edited by Shifty_13,

mcclainaj05

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
And stop being such a pussy, just backup that title's folder, if you are scared, and delete it through GM9. I don't see how you can lose access to GM9 even if something bad happens (which will not).

And ofc you should consider buying a new card. SD cards are not the most robust things in the world.
A. WDYM, backup that title's folder?
B. Jeez, don't have to mean about it, some people like me don't have tons of money just lying around to buy another 3DS if they break they break the one they got, so forgive my cautiousness.
C. Already been considering buying a new 64g one because the 32g I have is beginning to not have enough space for my purposes.

mcclainaj05

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
You think the SD card is fine, but do you know that the SD card is fine?

If some files are corrupt, then they will hopefully be left behind or otherwise corrected in the copying process.
Alright, I'll do the copying and stuff later, it can just take so LONG to do sometimes that it's frustrating when I have to do it.

Shifty_13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
A. WDYM, backup that title's folder?

A) I mean copy and paste it to the root of your SD (so If something goes bad you can copy and paste it back where it was).

B) If all you do is meddle with your SD card then you wont break your 3ds ever (just don't touch 3ds's built-in memory)

C) Yeah, 32 GB for all the stuff that 3ds can handle is nothing. You could even go for 128 GB.

Or, simply keep using your 3DS and ignore your problem. If you wanna play that game just find another region's version and install it (so you will have 2 identical games from different regions (1 corrupted and 1 not).

Edit: Actually, I see it's a GBA game. You can just make another inject (google "3ds gba injector") with a different titleid. So you will end up with 2 identical games one of which should work.

mcclainaj05

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
A) I mean copy and paste it to the root of your SD (so If something goes bad you can copy and paste it back where it was).

B) If all you do is meddle with your SD card then you wont break your 3ds ever (just don't touch 3ds's built-in memory)

C) Yeah, 32 GB for all the stuff that 3ds can handle is nothing. You could even go for 128 GB.

Or, simply keep using your 3DS and ignore your problem. If you wanna play that game just find another region's version and install it (so you will have 2 identical games from different regions (1 corrupted and 1 not).

Edit: Actually, I see it's a GBA game. You can just make another inject (google "3ds gba injector") with a different titleid. So you will end up with 2 identical games one of which should work.
As for the last bit, there's a reason I'm deleting it, I'm just making some room for other games that I'll actually play through (tbh it wasn't as much fun as the 3DS titles). (I was primarily doing it for an install of RetroArch and a bunch of PS1 games).

Shifty_13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
As for the last bit, there's a reason I'm deleting it, I'm just making some room for other games that I'll actually play through (tbh it wasn't as much fun as the 3DS titles). (I was primarily doing it for an install of RetroArch and a bunch of PS1 games).
Man... It only takes up 17 MBs...

mcclainaj05

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
As for the last bit, there's a reason I'm deleting it, I'm just making some room for other games that I'll actually play through, (I was primarily doing it for an install of RetroArch and a bunch of PS1 games).

Man... It only takes up 17 MBs...
Yeah, but it was a mass deletion of games that I don't play for a less crowded menu, and on the side, spare space. I'm not that irritated over it taking up that much space, tbh the reason that I'm concerned is that possibly corrupted data leads to bigger problems, also I haven't attempted to play the game in a while, so I have kind of a mild fear of misclicking the game and fucking up my system as a whole (probably not gonna happen, but still gotta be cautious).

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I already tested the SD card once before when I had the issue where I couldn't download certain games.
Since you're dealing with corruption the first thing to check is the sd card, and it is in most cases (like this) the cuplrit.. So yes, copy and paste everything with Roadkill's Instoppable Copier to your pc. Format the sd card as Fat32 after that, test it with h2testw click on the read & write option.
If it passes the test, format it again as Fat32, copy everything back with the tool, and see if you can delete it within FBI.
If it doesn't pass the test, then the sd card is faulty, and you should get a new one. And the new sd card should be checked too, before you copy everything to it.
tbh the reason that I'm concerned is that possibly corrupted data leads to bigger problems,
Yes. Then you should test the sdcard..
also I haven't attempted to play the game in a while, so I have kind of a mild fear of misclicking the game and fucking up my system as a whole (probably not gonna happen, but still gotta be cautious).
Launching a corrupted game will not cause system corruption, or a system brick either. You'll get an ARM11 error or a black screen, either after you launch it or in-game. And you can just reboot the system after that.

mcclainaj05

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Since you're dealing with corruption the first thing to check is the sd card, and it is in most cases (like this) the cuplrit.. So yes, copy and paste everything with Roadkill's Instoppable Copier to your pc. Format the sd card as Fat32 after that, test it with h2testw click on the read & write option.
If it passes the test, format it again as Fat32, copy everything back with the tool, and see if you can delete it within FBI.
If it doesn't pass the test, then the sd card is faulty, and you should get a new one. And the new sd card should be checked too, before you copy everything to it.

Launching a corrupted game will not cause system corruption, or a system brick either. You'll get an ARM11 error or a black screen, either after you launch it or in-game. And you can just reboot the system after that.
Hey man, I just gotta say, thanks for your immense amount of patience, I haven't had the time to try the copier and stuff yet, but I will get to it when I can. Then I'll come back here with the results.

Reactions: CoolMe

mcclainaj05

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

Alright, I finally got around to copying, but there's a file in the backup that isn't in the original SD that's called "System Volume Information" should I be concerned?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/shdHKa4iBbE?si=Vnb_FMMV54y2aarW lol Mario give me cancer