Electric Guitars Advice Wanted

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Jamstruth, Oct 16, 2010.

Oct 16, 2010
  1. Jamstruth
    OP

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    I'm looking into Electric guitars as my parents have said that if I want one they'll get one for me at Christmas (awesomes [​IMG]) but am not really sure of stores, good makes to buy, qualities etc.
    I've tried a couple and decided I prefer the heavier Les Paul humbuckers' sound to the Strats (I also prefer the styling, personally). My budget is mid range in around the £200-300 mark for the guitar. Will need an ok amp and cable as well (doesn't have to be absolutely amazing just decent enough, same goes for the guitar) so any help with that will be appreciated.

Oh, I did find 1 guitar I kinda fell in love with but its a model that I don't think I can find to try somewhere in my area (feel like I should try the guitar to check I can deal with the fretboard etc. alright) Its a Tokai ALS48 in "Dark Cherryburst"

[​IMG]

Price tag of £299 on that site which seems a bit high as I seem to remember finding the same model guitar elsewhere for £249 but can't find anywhere with a similar colour. I know substance and price should come before style but I love that damn colour.

Anyway, just thought I'd see whether any Tempers had an idea of some good, mid-range guitars, amps etc.

2. Joktan

Member Joktan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    You should look into epiphone guitars.they copy the les Paul pretty good and are lighter then a real lespaul. You can get them rather cheaply over hear.like for a basic one you can get one for 200 usd. My dad has a sobe epiphone les Paul and it rocks. I have a fulllerton lespaul which is almost the exact copy of a lespaul(weight and everything) the only difference is the neck is bolt on.real ones are attached to it.so look into epiphone.also you should look for some local music stores.remember don't settle for a guitar you don't like.you won't play it if you don't like it. Hope that helps.

3. Jamstruth
    OP

United Kingdom
    Seen this guitar today
    [​IMG]
    Sheridan A250, Les Paul "Black Beauty" Copy Priced £299
    It played really nice in the store and the guy was saying that it was a really good deal at the current price. They normally retail about £400-450. Only problem is its quite heavy, not overly so, but there's a noticeable difference between this and a similar 2 Pickup model.

Other guitar I liked was
    [​IMG]
    Tanglewood TSB58 Priced £329
    Obv. slightly more expensive but a nice guitar all the same.

For an amp I was thinking of this
    [​IMG]
    Fender Mustang 1 20 Watt Priced £109
    Used its slightly bigger brother to test the Tanglewood and I quite liked the various presets and the built in tuner. All these features were on the smaller model.

4. shlong

Member shlong in memoriam of gravitas

Italy
    Although the black one's awesome, I love cherryburst guitars, so I'm kinda biased. I'd go for the one you think about the most.

5. Jamstruth
    OP

United Kingdom
    I'm a sucker for that Cherry colour too but the Black Beauty model played very nicely and the thought of getting £100-150 more guitar for the same price is very tempting.

Forgot to add in this model
    [​IMG]
    Aria PE-Elite also £299
    Model I tried was not that smexy Cherry colour though but a Honey->Black Burst. Played it alongside the Sheridan (same shop, the Tanglewood was tested in another shop) and was not good at telling the difference. The Sheridan seemed to give a better range of tones though, also seemed louder in general (an extra pickup will do that though)

6. nando

Member nando GBAtemp Addict

United States
    the red one is very pretty. i love it. i'd get that just based on looks [​IMG]

edit: the first one you posted.

7. cruznik71450

Member cruznik71450 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It's more then just look most of the time. The way I choose a guitar is feel and sound. Does it fret nice. Does it have a natural acoustic ring to it without amp plugin. When it is plugged in does it get the sounds your looking for. That is how I choose a guitar. Is this your first guitar? How long have you been playing?

8. Jamstruth
    OP

United Kingdom
    First Electric Guitar. I've got a (quite beat up now) Acoustic I've had for a couple of years. Its great for slower stuff but sometimes I want to play something that it just doesn't feel right for, usually powerchords and riffs

9. cruznik71450

United States
    Well just go for the one that feels right for you. Acoustic is awesome but sometimes it's nice to just grab an electric, plug it in and rock out lol.

10. nando

Member nando GBAtemp Addict

United States

Of course, but it's not like i can touch it online. so i'm giving my opinion by looks.

11. Jamstruth
    OP

United Kingdom
    They're all much the same. They've all got the same style so the fret boards feel similar (I have tried a Fender and decided I prefer the look and sound of Humbuckers). I think I'll go for the Sheridan because it was one heck of a nice guitar.

12. Demonstryde

Member Demonstryde GBAtemp Fan

United States
    is this your first elec guitar.. can you even play guitar.. would like to know your histroy of musical experience firstly

13. Jamstruth
    OP

United Kingdom
    First Electric Guitar. Not first ever guitar.
    Have played guitar for a while now, am quite proficient with chords. Got lessons for about a year which helped immensely.

My parents would not be willing to drop £300 on a guitar for me if I had no idea how to play it. They bought me a £100 or so Acoustic a couple of years back to get me started

14. cruznik71450

United States
    Your gonna find yourself wanting another Guitar in no time lol. I have 10 guitars ATM and I still want more lol. It's addicting really. Each one has different sounds for different things. I don't have any Les Paul's but I have a Tele Deluxe that get's the job more then done when I want to play something with the humbucker sound. I plan to get a Les Paul later on but I haven't found the right one for me yet. The local music store by my house shut down so now it's a journey to get to guitar center to try something out lol.

15. Jamstruth
    OP

United Kingdom
    I'm only 17 so I've got no money to fuel a guitar addiction

16. cruznik71450

United States
    Neither do I lol. I'm just lucky my dad plays as well so I can use his or mine whenever I like.

17. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    Get a guitar that does the little things right -- like easy playability and staying in tune well. This is much more important than the way it looks. Also, focus on an amp that sounds good and is LOUD (important should you decide to gig).