Electric Guitars Advice Wanted

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm looking into Electric guitars as my parents have said that if I want one they'll get one for me at Christmas (awesomes
biggrin.gif
) but am not really sure of stores, good makes to buy, qualities etc.
I've tried a couple and decided I prefer the heavier Les Paul humbuckers' sound to the Strats (I also prefer the styling, personally). My budget is mid range in around the £200-300 mark for the guitar. Will need an ok amp and cable as well (doesn't have to be absolutely amazing just decent enough, same goes for the guitar) so any help with that will be appreciated.

Oh, I did find 1 guitar I kinda fell in love with but its a model that I don't think I can find to try somewhere in my area (feel like I should try the guitar to check I can deal with the fretboard etc. alright) Its a Tokai ALS48 in "Dark Cherryburst"

tokai%20als48%20dark%20cherryburst%20-%201.jpg

Price tag of £299 on that site which seems a bit high as I seem to remember finding the same model guitar elsewhere for £249 but can't find anywhere with a similar colour. I know substance and price should come before style but I love that damn colour.

Anyway, just thought I'd see whether any Tempers had an idea of some good, mid-range guitars, amps etc.

Joktan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should look into epiphone guitars.they copy the les Paul pretty good and are lighter then a real lespaul. You can get them rather cheaply over hear.like for a basic one you can get one for 200 usd. My dad has a sobe epiphone les Paul and it rocks. I have a fulllerton lespaul which is almost the exact copy of a lespaul(weight and everything) the only difference is the neck is bolt on.real ones are attached to it.so look into epiphone.also you should look for some local music stores.remember don't settle for a guitar you don't like.you won't play it if you don't like it. Hope that helps.

Jamstruth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Seen this guitar today
sheridan%20bb%20A250.jpg

Sheridan A250, Les Paul "Black Beauty" Copy Priced £299
It played really nice in the store and the guy was saying that it was a really good deal at the current price. They normally retail about £400-450. Only problem is its quite heavy, not overly so, but there's a noticeable difference between this and a similar 2 Pickup model.

Other guitar I liked was
winered.jpg

Tanglewood TSB58 Priced £329
Obv. slightly more expensive but a nice guitar all the same.

For an amp I was thinking of this
FenderMustang1large.gif

Fender Mustang 1 20 Watt Priced £109
Used its slightly bigger brother to test the Tanglewood and I quite liked the various presets and the built in tuner. All these features were on the smaller model.

Jamstruth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm a sucker for that Cherry colour too but the Black Beauty model played very nicely and the thought of getting £100-150 more guitar for the same price is very tempting.

Forgot to add in this model
pe_elite_1000.jpg

Aria PE-Elite also £299
Model I tried was not that smexy Cherry colour though but a Honey->Black Burst. Played it alongside the Sheridan (same shop, the Tanglewood was tested in another shop) and was not good at telling the difference. The Sheridan seemed to give a better range of tones though, also seemed louder in general (an extra pickup will do that though)

cruznik71450

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's more then just look most of the time. The way I choose a guitar is feel and sound. Does it fret nice. Does it have a natural acoustic ring to it without amp plugin. When it is plugged in does it get the sounds your looking for. That is how I choose a guitar. Is this your first guitar? How long have you been playing?

Jamstruth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
First Electric Guitar. I've got a (quite beat up now) Acoustic I've had for a couple of years. Its great for slower stuff but sometimes I want to play something that it just doesn't feel right for, usually powerchords and riffs

cruznik71450

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Jamstruth said:
First Electric Guitar. I've got a (quite beat up now) Acoustic I've had for a couple of years. Its great for slower stuff but sometimes I want to play something that it just doesn't feel right for, usually powerchords and riffs
Well just go for the one that feels right for you. Acoustic is awesome but sometimes it's nice to just grab an electric, plug it in and rock out lol.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
cruznik71450 said:
It's more then just look most of the time. The way I choose a guitar is feel and sound. Does it fret nice. Does it have a natural acoustic ring to it without amp plugin. When it is plugged in does it get the sounds your looking for. That is how I choose a guitar. Is this your first guitar? How long have you been playing?

Of course, but it's not like i can touch it online. so i'm giving my opinion by looks.

Jamstruth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
They're all much the same. They've all got the same style so the fret boards feel similar (I have tried a Fender and decided I prefer the look and sound of Humbuckers). I think I'll go for the Sheridan because it was one heck of a nice guitar.

Demonstryde

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is this your first elec guitar.. can you even play guitar.. would like to know your histroy of musical experience firstly

Jamstruth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
First Electric Guitar. Not first ever guitar.
Have played guitar for a while now, am quite proficient with chords. Got lessons for about a year which helped immensely.

My parents would not be willing to drop £300 on a guitar for me if I had no idea how to play it. They bought me a £100 or so Acoustic a couple of years back to get me started

cruznik71450

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Your gonna find yourself wanting another Guitar in no time lol. I have 10 guitars ATM and I still want more lol. It's addicting really. Each one has different sounds for different things. I don't have any Les Paul's but I have a Tele Deluxe that get's the job more then done when I want to play something with the humbucker sound. I plan to get a Les Paul later on but I haven't found the right one for me yet. The local music store by my house shut down so now it's a journey to get to guitar center to try something out lol.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hke2YUirpf4