Elden Ring reviews are out, critical reception ranks it at the highest-rated game of all time on OpenCritic

header.jpg

Those struggling to wait for Elden Ring's release are going to be dealing with even more hype, as the review embargo for Elden Ring has lifted, revealing what critics with early copies of the game think of FromSoft's latest game. We're not even three months into the year, and we might already have a GOTY on our hands, as Elden Ring's reviews are outstandingly, overwhelmingly high right out of the gate. With just less than 100 individual reviews, the game is sitting at an average score of 97--higher than The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, higher than The Last of Us, Persona 5, Metal Gear Solid V, and other titles that tend to sit atop "best game of all time lists".

In fact, Elden Ring is now the highest-scored game of all time critically, tied with 2017's Super Mario Odyssey. This is at least going by OpenCritic's more modern standards of review aggregation--over at Metacritic, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time still confidently reigns supreme with its 99/100. Regardless, the results are in, and it appears Elden Ring might be one of the greatest games out in the past few years. Are you even more excited to try it, or are you going to wait to see what the fan consensus is after launch?

Elden Ring will be out on February 25th, for PC, Xbox Series, Xbox One, PlayStation 5, and PlayStation 4.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
can't really speak for PC, since I'm a console gamer. But on PS4 we already got 2 patches, so hopefully the PC gets the same treatment.
Yeah everybody was assuming the 1.01 version played at the Red Bull event would be the launch version, but I figured there'd be more than one "day one" patch given that they finished the first patch with like 20 days to release.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Namco Bandai PC ports are typically piss poor, see: Tales of Symphonia etc
Tales of Arise was fine. Barring some minor issues. Granted, that may have just been me. I do agree that Symphonia, Zestiria, and Berseria required some third party help to run acceptably. There's also Code Vein.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tales of Arise was fine. Barring some minor issues. Granted, that may have just been me. I do agree that Symphonia, Zestiria, and Berseria required some third party help to run acceptably. There's also Code Vein.

Arise runs well on my rig, and with some Nexus mods, it works pretty well. The other ones, yeah, two had a 30 fps cap which is unacceptable.

Reactions: Kioku

TheGodMauro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Right now, my only concern is day 1 performance on PC. Here lately, high profile games have been released broken. :S
Supposedly there's going to be a day 1 patch to fix some random stutters that the game has (Likely related to shader compilation), but other than that it looks like the game is not particularly broken.

Reactions: Kioku and Xzi

Delerious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The cynicism in this thread is real.

Never even tried a souls-like, tbh. Might give this one a try, but it could be a while. Still gotta finish a couple of back-catalog games before I move onto something new.

Reactions: Xzi

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
"I don't like it, so it's overrated." Same shtick, different day.

You rate something according to inevitably subjective metrics - it's a game. It's supposed to be entertaining. To you.
Obviously something you don't like all that much being highly rated, by definition, means it's overrated.

Other similarly overrated games are all entries in the "Souls" series, Final Fantasy 7, Chrono Trigger, Zelda BotW and so on.

I'll give one thing to this game at least: For a game touting the same "vibe", it's already A LOT better than Breath of the Wild. By a large margin. So it should at least be above it on any list. And I already like it a lot more than "X Souls".

As a final note, I like all those games (sans-Souls), so it's not a matter of "i dislike = overrated".

Reviews aren't everything, but a game just got extremely high scores and for some reason this drives people mad. How amazing is internet in the year of 2022.

I don't see people going mad about it.
Just overhyped people claiming this is the best game ever which is the epitome of falsehood.

Reactions: tabzer

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
What I don't get is people who were so damn sure that this game was gonna be a critical flop. FromSoft's last five games got an 85 or better, with a few at 90+. They're not CDPR who had only one truly great game under their belt before CP2077.

Reactions: AlexMCS

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd rather spend like $150 more for a surround receiver.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I bought the game at launch never fucked with it until recently
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its fun, I like it, even tho I'm not a big harry potter fan. Like a wizard rpg. Flying around on a broomstick is cool.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Flying sucks ass on it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh just takes a min to get used to. I think you can upgrade or buy new broomstick also that are better.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I weirdly like inverted controls on all flying type games
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob can change it, inverted flying controls.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only thing that annoys me is trying to find wtf to do in it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Alright off to the store, later gators.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some places amaze me were not in network with your insurance would you still like an appointment
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    uhhh, I think I'll just stick with my PSP 3001
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol, Now I gotta go to the store for more Coffee Mate n other stuff.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i downloaded final fantasy vii into my tv stick
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean, the game was already there but its the japanese version
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and i only downloaded disc 1 so far bc of storage stuff
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, yeah the patty on McDs burger is 1/10th of a pound now and I think that's the pre cooked weight lol
    I use the app for the 20% off coupon and it's still over priced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, why is mcdonalds overpriced if their food is bad?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean why is mcdonalds food overpriced
    Inflation and greed
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's just fries, make 'em at home
    +2
    I make potato wedges at home with spices and stuff lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I make potato wedges at home with spices and stuff lol