anime_junkie

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I ask this because I'm afraid of viruses and stuff.... it doesn't look all that trustworthy, that eMule thing... are there any other clients I can use? Or am I being paranoid? There are some things I've only been able to find eDonkey links to, and I just want to know if it's safe to use that eMule thing... or if there are other options.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
anime_junkie said:
I ask this because I'm afraid of viruses and stuff.... it doesn't look all that trustworthy, that eMule thing... are there any other clients I can use? Or am I being paranoid? There are some things I've only been able to find eDonkey links to, and I just want to know if it's safe to use that eMule thing... or if there are other options.

I put eDonkey into the category with (chronologically) Napster, Kazaa, and now Limewire. They are decent at first, but become VERY virus laden. I'd recommend other means of p2p d-loading if anything.

anime_junkie

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WildWon said:
anime_junkie said:

I put eDonkey into the category with (chronologically) Napster, Kazaa, and now Limewire. They are decent at first, but become VERY virus laden. I'd recommend other means of p2p d-loading if anything.

Duly noted... I'll just have to search elsewhere.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ED2K is essentially the same thing as eMule. ED2K = eDonkey 2000. They both use the same links.

I've used eMule for the last couple years and have NEVER gotten a virus by using it, just LOTS of free stuff. Just make sure you choose stuff through trusted links and not just using the search function. One thing that is nice about eMule is that it uses almost no resources for it to run. I've ran CPU intensive games with it running in the background without a hiccup.

The biggest problem with eMule is that it can be very slow. It can take 2-5 days to get a 3gig file, or it could slurp up the file in just an hour or two......it depends on the amount of sharers and your bandwidth.

I've got huge boxes of PC games, loads of music discographies and hundreds of utility programs for PC through eMule.

I've never been hassled by my ISP for using it......but it's my understanding that I have one of the cooler ISP's that refuse to give names to groups like the RIAA.

Tips for eMule:
Don't leave stuff you've downloaded in the shared folder. Use only servers that provide "obfuscation", which means they attempt to confuse anyone trying to see what you're downloading. You can use programs like peer-guardian to prevent known RIAA-like bastards from seeing what you're doing, but I've never bothered with that. Use only websites that provide links, don't cold-search for stuff. Be VERY patient. Files can take awhile to even start moving. If you have a router, set the appropriate UDP and TCP ports and disable them when you aren't using eMule.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: hot take: freddy fazbear's pizzeria simulator is peak fnaf