Hacking Easy way to switch save files?

Hawk Ahriman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
sometimes my younger brother plays the DS...and there are a lot of games on the DS that only allow for a single save file. At the moment I have to make a seperate copy of the game with a different name if I want two save files, which obviously means that each game takes up twice as much space.

is there an easier way of using multiple save files that I'm not aware of?

thomasroberts6

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, there might be...

OK, heres what I would do:

Put a ROM that can only hold one Save file on the R4, then start it, and click 'yes' to make a .sav file.

Then turn off the DS and plug the MSD into the computer, and Drag the .SAV file somewhere else on the computer. Remember this place. This fle has to be GONE from the R4, but on the computer.

Then restart the R4 and the same game. It should ask you to create another .Sav . Click 'yes' and use this one as yours. Then, when your sibling wants to play, switch the .Sav file on the R4 with the one on the Computer. Then it will be a whole new game. Every time you want to play your Save, just switch them. Anoher option is to tell him to BUY HIS OWN DAMN R4!

Kellicros

Trophies
XP
Country
Then turn off the DS and plug the MSD into the computer, and Drag the .SAV file somewhere else on the computer. Remember this place. This fle has to be GONE from the R4, but on the computer.
It doesn't have to be GONE from the R4, just don't put it in the same directory as the rom.

BTW, you may want to try a homebrew application called QDSMS but I am not sure if it works with R4.

zeppo

change my avatar!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
backing it up requires restoring it, so that still only allows one at a time...

I think he wanted to know if there was an easier way than renaming it and creating a new one, so... yeah.

I agree, both of the things said with dso are the best.

however, if you have much extra space on it, and you and your sibling both play it often, your best bet may be to have the rom on there TWICE (with different names, of course), and just play the one that's yours when you play it. you could have it be something like MKDS_Joe.nds and MKDS_Bob.nds.

but your statement about not wanting the extra memory from the 512 kb SAVE (?!) makes this second option unlikely. dude, 512 kb is not much...

ck472006

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can just tell him to BUY HIS OWN MICRO SD. So, you/he can just switch the TF card when one of you is playing.

zeppo

change my avatar!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
good point. but what if they split the cost of the r4? then there's the issue of who buys the new one.

we're REALLY reading into this too much. let's wait for him to post himself.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntjkwIXWtrc&ab_channel=Apple I feel uncomfortable from watching...