Hacking Early Switch model - Black Screen on payload injection (Linux)

Deleted member 669151

OP
Trophies
XP
I have a Nintendo Switch with a serial # of less than XAW1001 (in the XAW10009 range precisely). I wanted to see if it was actually hackable before going out to get a larger microSD card, but after injecting the payload with fusee-launcher (the Tk interface running as root) I get a black screen. I have tried two payloads, TegraExplorer and a fusee-test payload. The firmware of this Switch is currently at 11.0.1. I tried to find an earlier version of TegraExplorer that was made for 11.0.1 but this didn't work either. I get the following output across any payload:

Code:
Important note: on desktop Linux systems, we currently require an XHCI host controller. A good way to ensure you're likely using an XHCI backend is to plug your device into a blue 'USB 3' port. 

Identified a Linux system; setting up the appropriate backend.

Found a Tegra with Device ID: [ Redacted for privacy ]

Setting ourselves up to smash the stack...
Uploading payload...
Smashing the stack...
skipping checks
The USB device stopped responding-- sure smells like we've smashed its stack. :)
Launch complete!

I've ensured I am using USB3 because the cable that I'm using, which is the one for the Switch Pro Controller, is plugged into the blue USB port. lsmod shows me that XHCI is indeed being used, and the Injector GUI recognizes the Switch when it is in RCM mode (otherwise the button to inject payload cannot be pressed).

I suppose it can't be hacked, but with such a low serial # and that the site for checking the serial number shows me that mine is in the green, it begs the question of am I doing something wrong? I am using aluminum foil taped to the two farthest back pins to access RCM. I've tried inserting the only microSD card I have (which is 32 GB) formatted with FAT32 to see if it makes a difference, which it doesn't. Is there a certain step in this process that I'm missing or am I just unlucky and have an early patched Switch?

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Nintendo Switch with a serial # of less than XAW1001 (in the XAW10009 range precisely). I wanted to see if it was actually hackable before going out to get a larger microSD card, but after injecting the payload with fusee-launcher (the Tk interface running as root) I get a black screen. I have tried two payloads, TegraExplorer and a fusee-test payload. The firmware of this Switch is currently at 11.0.1. I tried to find an earlier version of TegraExplorer that was made for 11.0.1 but this didn't work either. I get the following output across any payload:

Code:
Important note: on desktop Linux systems, we currently require an XHCI host controller. A good way to ensure you're likely using an XHCI backend is to plug your device into a blue 'USB 3' port.

Identified a Linux system; setting up the appropriate backend.

Found a Tegra with Device ID: [ Redacted for privacy ]

Setting ourselves up to smash the stack...
Uploading payload...
Smashing the stack...
skipping checks
The USB device stopped responding-- sure smells like we've smashed its stack. :)
Launch complete!

I've ensured I am using USB3 because the cable that I'm using, which is the one for the Switch Pro Controller, is plugged into the blue USB port. lsmod shows me that XHCI is indeed being used, and the Injector GUI recognizes the Switch when it is in RCM mode (otherwise the button to inject payload cannot be pressed).

I suppose it can't be hacked, but with such a low serial # and that the site for checking the serial number shows me that mine is in the green, it begs the question of am I doing something wrong? I am using aluminum foil taped to the two farthest back pins to access RCM. I've tried inserting the only microSD card I have (which is 32 GB) formatted with FAT32 to see if it makes a difference, which it doesn't. Is there a certain step in this process that I'm missing or am I just unlucky and have an early patched Switch?
Deleted

Last edited by Ryab,

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you use something like TegraRCMhgui it will specify if the system is in RCM mode. If the system says it is in RCM mode then it 100% is a hackable system. Also make sure you have installed the proper driver for it. If you have not I know that TegraRCMGui does have the installer built in.

Patched unit can enter RCM mode too, just that they don't accept payload.

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's easier to confirm that with TegraRCMGui as it returns how many bytes it "smashed".

If it's 0x0000, it's patched. If it's 0x7000, it's not patched. Payload may not work for other reasons than unit being patched, so this is definitive way to check if Switch is patched.

Deleted member 669151

OP
Trophies
XP
It's easier to confirm that with TegraRCMGui as it returns how many bytes it "smashed".
Sadly TegraRCMGui doesn't work on Linux. So far the only injectors I know that work would be fusee-launcher and any frontends to it like the Tk one I used since its written in Python.
Post automatically merged:

Holy cow, JTegraNX works! TegraExplorer successfully appears on screen

My suggestion for Linux users, use JTegraNX. :)

Last edited by Deleted member 669151,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4