Unpatched switch - "Failed to init or mount SDPress any key...."

unpatchedswitch

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm going through a tutorial on setting up a wii with hetake etc and I'm at the point of connecting Switch to PC with the RCM jig connected.

Tegra recognises my switch is connected and I can sucesfully inject payload. I get the message;
TegraRcmSmash (32bit) 1.2.1-3 by rajkosto
Opened USB device path \\?\usb#vid_0955&pid_7321#6&229efb56&0&7#{aa0dbd45-3117-f331-5c49-76bf65225042}
RCM Device with id 8001020E0000000800753D6401101062 initialized successfully!
Uploading payload (mezzo size: 92, user size: 109640, total size: 175856, total padded size: 176128)...
Smashing the stack!

However when I look at my Switch screen it states;
"Failed to init or mount SDPress any key...."

If I press the volume key it takes me to a menu;
Launch
Tools
Console Info
Reload
Reboot
Power off

At the bottom of this screen it has a warning;
WARNING: Nyx is missing

I'm lost, where do I go from here???

Badablek

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi,

did you put Hekate on your microSD (FAT32 formatted of course) ? You try to inject hekate's payload, but it needs a bunch of files on the microSD card : the bootloader folder at the root, which contains nyx (graphical interface), etc.

Now, what you see, is the old text menu of Hekate.

unpatchedswitch

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

did you put Hekate on your microSD (FAT32 formatted of course) ? You try to inject hekate's payload, but it needs a bunch of files on the microSD card : the bootloader folder at the root, which contains nyx (graphical interface), etc.

Now, what you see, is the old text menu of Hekate.
yeah I've done all the correct steps but it'd make no sense me typing it all out. But in short, everything has been done correctly. The reason I know this is because I have two unpatched switches.

Switch #1 is getting this error message.
Switch #2 doesn't get the error message and I've been able to continue along with the tutorial and this Switch is now jailbreaked to 1.7.0.0 AMS

(I bought switch 1 recently pre-owned, specifically to jailbreak. Switch 2 is my 'main switch' which I wanted to keep clean and not jailbreak. However as switch 1 has scuppered my plans with the error message, I've given in and just used switch 2 to test if the SD card and files on it are correctly installed)

zamastyle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have a second working switch I would suggest swapping the sd cards and attempting the payload injection again. If that works then you know its a problem with the sd card setup. If that still fails then inspect the sdcard board and header and try reseating it.

unpatchedswitch

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you have a second working switch I would suggest swapping the sd cards and attempting the payload injection again. If that works then you know its a problem with the sd card setup. If that still fails then inspect the sdcard board and header and try reseating it.
Hi, as I've said, it does work with the second switch. Just to clarify, I took the SD card out of switch 1 and inserted it into switch 2. So in summary, switch 1 fails to read the sd card, whereas switch 2 reads the same SD card without issues.

I don't understand your logic that if it works with switch 2 then this would mean its a problem with the sd card?

Surely if switch 1 is failing to read the sd card then its a problem with the switch 1 console (and NOT the sd card itself)?

zamastyle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it'd make no sense me typing it all out

as I've said, it does work with the second switch.
No, you didn't say. You only said that the second switch works fine. Maybe you should type it all out. We can't read your mind.

If a working card from a working switch doesnt boot properly on your second switch then the problem is the console. Most likely the card reader. Open it up and inspect the card reader board and the port it plugs into.

unpatchedswitch

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No, you didn't say. You only said that the second switch works fine. Maybe you should type it all out. We can't read your mind.

If a working card from a working switch doesnt boot properly on your second switch then the problem is the console. Most likely the card reader. Open it up and inspect the card reader board and the port it plugs into
Haha you talk about reading minds and then throw in "open up your switch" like it's as casual as throwing in a pinch of salt to a recipe.

Last edited by unpatchedswitch,

zamastyle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Switch teardown guides are well documented. If this seems beyond your ability then now you know you need to go see a pro.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?