EA Sports to Bring new NBA Jam Exclusively to Wii

EnigmaXtreme

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
According to sources at ESPN, EA Sports has acquired the rights to NBA Jam, and will be bringing a new version exclusively to the Wii. Here is what ESPN writer Jon Robinson has to say:

QUOTE said:
“Sources confirmed to ESPN that the new title is actually one of the all-time classics coming back to consoles as EA Sports has acquired the rights from the NBA to deliver an updated version of “NBA Jam” that will ship to retail exclusively for the Wii.”

I guess we will find out more when EA Sports makes the official announcement at the end of the month.

For the full article from Mr. Robinson, click here.

http://www.wiinintendo.net/2010/01/04/ea-s...usively-to-wii/

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
Hmmm, I must be misreading this but you're saying they are going to bring an updated version of NBAJam, that hype basketball game that was on the SEGA Genesis then rehash unto the PS2?

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
custom1262649931345nbaj.jpg

QUOTE said:
Were you unenthused by the rumor that EA Sports new title would be an NFL-branded trainer for the Wii? You'll like this one better. ESPN.com says the game will be an updated NBA Jam, for the Wii.

Citing "unnamed sources," ESPN.com says EA Sports got the rights from the NBA to deliver an updated version of the arcade classic for retail release. The report adds that the game's creator, Mark Turmell, has been hired on by EA Sports Canada to consult on the product.

NBA Jam was a wildly successful 2-on-2 basketball game first released by Midway to the arcades in 1993, and later ported by Acclaim to the Super Nintendo and Genesis. The success of EA Sports' arcade-style titles for the NHL and NFL in the past year makes it a good bet they'd want to spin up an NBA offering sometime soon. The demise of Midway (and Acclaim back in 2004), also means the NBA Jam name is likely held by someone unlikely to develop it anytime soon, and probably happy to make a quick buck off the IP.

An EA Sports spokesperson told Kotaku the publisher wouldn't comment on rumor or speculation - but did add the announcement is set for sometime next week.

I emailed contacts with EA Sports and the Vancouver studio to ask for comment. Anything they say will be updated here.

News Source: Kotaku

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure EA have been hit and miss with sports games on the Wii, they seem to want to dumb them down a lot.

NBA Street V3 Gamecube was great so there is still hope.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I had a kinnect.... It blew rotting goat balls