EA Removes In-Game Purchases From Battlefront 2

rendition1.img.jpg

As you have no undoubtedly heard, the latest EA release, Battlefront 2, is rife with issues before it's even been released to the public. The main culprit is their loot box system, where users must either spend cash on crystals or spend an ungodly amount of time earning credits to unlock heroes or purchase loot boxes, which allow players to "improve their characters". The response to this basically pay-to-win scenario has been overwhelmingly negative, with a post with EA's response to the criticisms receiving the most downvoted posts ever on Reddit which is currently at 676,000+.

In response to this, EA has decided to completely disable all in-game purchases for the Battlefront 2 just before it's release. EA's statement is below:

Thank you to everyone in our community for being the passionate fans that you are.

Our goal has always been to create the best possible game for all of you – devoted Star Wars fans and game players alike. We’ve also had an ongoing commitment to constantly listen, tune and evolve the experience as it grows. You’ve seen this with both the major adjustments, and polish, we have made over the past several weeks.

But as we approach the worldwide launch, it's clear that many of you feel there are still challenges in the design. We’ve heard the concerns about potentially giving players unfair advantages. And we’ve heard that this is overshadowing an otherwise great game. This was never our intention. Sorry we didn’t get this right.

We hear you loud and clear, so we’re turning off all in-game purchases. We will now spend more time listening, adjusting, balancing and tuning. This means that the option to purchase crystals in the game is now offline, and all progression will be earned through gameplay. The ability to purchase crystals in-game will become available at a later date, only after we’ve made changes to the game. We’ll share more details as we work through this.

We have created a game that is built on your input, and it will continue to evolve and grow. Star Wars Battlefront II is three times the size of the previous game, bringing to life a brand new Star Wars story, space battles, epic new multiplayer experiences across all three Star Wars eras, with more free content to come. We want you to enjoy it, so please keep your thoughts coming. And we will keep you updated on our progress.

While that's at least a step in the right direction regarding Battlefront 2's pay-to-win loot box system, and while EA has slashed the prices on heroes already, it's still unclear how long exactly it'll take users to unlock popular heroes through normal gameplay.

:arrow: Source

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They disabled microtransactions only temporarily. They will enable them again after people buy the game.

itsatrap.jpg

yea, they comfirmed they are temperary off while they adjust the system more. mean while the elite addtion can be bought for 75 dollars anyway to automatically start with vadar n other classes at a higher level.

Reactions: Deleted User

Tallion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They cut the costs for heroes down after that little tidbit was announced, but I don't think anyone has calculated how long it'll take after the cuts.
I was able to get Darth Vader on my first night playing the game for a few hours. I will have enough to get Luke tomorrow for sure. The price reduction is very significant.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Tbh it's pretty retarded to judge the game based on microtransactions.
Everyone saying it'll be trash. Uh, derp? It's already basically out. Looks great. Plays great. Battlefront 1 was super fun. BF2 has several improvements.
The microtransactions are a problem but have absolutely nothing to do with the overall quality of the game.

tbh even if characters took 100 hours solid gameplay to unlock, that's fine as long as there's no buy-out option. That's the main problem.
I'm sure EA will re-introduce them once things settle down.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
. The ability to purchase crystals in-game will become available at a later date,

enough to internet to fall for the trap ;O;
they remove it temporary, let the fuss calm down and they will bring that shit back later when the "fuck ea trend" is no longer...

also, what about thoose rumours about one country that started to investigate about the game being gambling to children?
maybe they decided to remove the in game purcahsed to avoid that charge

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Why is almost everyone saying they turned it off while they clearly state that they will come back at a later time ! Not talking about the comment section here but news outlets in general. I just don't get it how most game websites, youtubers can miss that line in the text

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, but they did back down from that, well plus, they actually have competent programmers who make ports that aren't half-assed on Nintendo consoles; Skyrim Switch is a prime example of a port that doesn't suck ass. I'd much rather get a port that works than one that has entirely missing features.
Backed down? I thought that the Bethesda creation program is still a thing. Did they stop that too?

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Honestly, I have no problem with micro-transactions as long as they don't break the game, which was the case here.
Everyone saying it'll be trash. Uh, derp? It's already basically out. Looks great. Plays great. Battlefront 1 was super fun. BF2 has several improvements.
The microtransactions are a problem but have absolutely nothing to do with the overall quality of the game.

tbh even if characters took 100 hours solid gameplay to unlock, that's fine as long as there's no buy-out option. That's the main problem.
Totally agree with you. Micro-transactions are a problem when they make the game unbalanced. It's already hard and frustrating enough to play online when you're not very good, but adding people that will be able to win without skills, just by buying upgrades is a total game breaker. If it was only like little time savers (like bonus XP or something) or vanity items, that would not be a problem.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I can get to a point where such things would not matter but I am not sure the implementation here is going to be it.

From the start I find the whole concept to be very distasteful and much prefer to either be sold a complete game or access to a game using a rolling release type model (I know the latter irks some but if it plays for other software it plays here too).

Acceptable ways to do microtransactions from where I sit.

Purely cosmetic skins. Why anybody would buy such a thing I do not know but apparently they do, and it even applies to console and flash cart launch menus most people should only be staring at for 20 seconds. I don't even know the psychological reasoning for it, only that it is a thing and has happened for a very long time, though the industrial revolution changed a bit here and it may also vary between countries/cultures (presumably those that view choices as something special).

Pareto frontier options. Classic example would be reducing things to damage per second and as long as that stays consistent then it plays. Doing balance is harder, and you may wish to make something slightly easier to use (various games then have it referred to as the noob tube or noob cannon) to allow players of various skill levels to still play if your game punishes a lack of skill*.

*an example might be multiplayer shooter, some kind of area denial/destroy the flag thing. If kills don't count then the new guy that basically acts as a fire puller/bullet sponge adds something to your team and thus does not matter when they die 10 times in a row.

What I once heard dubbed incomparables. As well as the pareto frontier you give someone that chucked something your way you say instead allow them to play a medic which opens up a whole different style of play. Balancing this is tricky and in some ways by denying people choices you trouble your game (I figure out the opposition are a bunch of cheap bastards and won't have a medic...) but that can be managed.

Character selection. Server randomly assigns you character 2, you prefer 6 so chuck them something to allow for that.

Long term effort to unlock is an odd one. Many games do something like this, though in many cases then devolve into the former (raids in world of warcraft making levelling basically a prolonged tutorial for that, and possibly then why sub numbers tanked when dota/moba rose up and people could play the same thing without it). On the flip side if these are able to be bought but still fall within the previous stuff (cosmetic, frontier and incomparables) I don't really have a problem.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was able to get Darth Vader on my first night playing the game for a few hours. I will have enough to get Luke tomorrow for sure. The price reduction is very significant.

Yeah, easy credits in your first few hours, just like ANY freemium mobile game. Give you enough to get gud quick, then syphon you off till you either stop playing, or feel the need to progress to keep up, so you drop some cash. What will it hurt? It's only $5 here or there, oh wait before you know it you're $500 into the game and too far into the sand trap to justify getting out.

Update us after you have 20 hours into the game, and then tell us how well you're "progressing". Also, please tell us of your sense of "accomplishment".

Sorry, I just can't justify anyone supporting EA by purchasing or playing this game, or any game they offer anymore.

Last edited by Maximilious,

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Why is almost everyone saying they turned it off while they clearly state that they will come back at a later time ! Not talking about the comment section here but news outlets in general. I just don't get it how most game websites, youtubers can miss that line in the text

Because clicks, I guess. Another possible explanation would be that pretty much all media people are retarded in some way.

I'd rather stay away from those that pull stuff like that more than 3 times. You should know they aren't credible sources by then.

D

Deleted User

Microtransactions are elements that I expect in a shitty mobile phone game I downloaded for free last week because I was bored, not a highly publicized "AAA" game one has to drop $60 for.

As far as Star Wars Battlefront II is concerned, I'm sticking with my PS2. I really had no interest in this in the first place, but this really solidified things for me.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, please. This changes nothing with ea or Disney. All they did was shift how much you get for completing missions and earning achievements so it still takes 40+ hours per character to earn.

Even if all of this was changed to finally be fair and not require an ungodly amount of luck and $2100 worth of loot box drops in your favor, it already showed ea's intentions for the gaming public. It showed they want us to drop $150 on a preorder for the game. Another $100 for an online pass. And then $$$$+ for glorified gambling. Therein rewarding people who pay to not play.

Meanwhile, Rock star gets a free pass with every single one of their games. Too many people giving Activision and blizzard a free pass like they made anything worth a damn in the last ten years. Bethesda thinks they could get a free pass to introduce paid mods on top of it as well.

When smartphone games started showing up, i didn't much care for them because they were being billed as the next big frontier, when their nature prevents them from offering anything resembling a full, enriching experience that a core game on a console, dedicated handheld or PC could offer. I've made a point to avoid phone games because so many are full of everything from microtransactions out the ass to glorified gambling, timers and pay to win. Never mind games that shoehorn ads in which have surpassed nearly everything else as the vehicle that compromises more computers, phones, identities, the lot. The mobile game scene is distilled cancer. And that's what triple a wants to go to.

It's absolutely disgusting. Little wonder there is such a resurgence and demand for retro and vintage games.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rather not think about the nonsensical pay online, on top of this.

People are right, lootboxes and such shouldn't be in $60 game, but if it cuts down on the amount of pay dlc, season passes, the "X editions" or whatever and there are done fairly, so be it.

Lol still don’t buy this crap... they are going to bring back all their pay to win crap after your return period has expired.

KasaiWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
The worst thing of this, and I feel the worst casualty is that this game *ACTUALLY* looked good. I mean the combat looked improved, the campaign looked facinating and most of all it looks like the nailed it on the head. But as with EA, the more they get right, the more they WILL get wrong.

Reactions: keven3477

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)