EA: Battlefront won't have single player because "people don't want it."

battlefront_logo.jpg

In a recent interview with Peter Moore, COO of EA, Moore was asked about the controversy of yearly released sports titles, as well as some information about Star Wars Battlefront's lack of a single player campaign.

Peter Moore acknowledged that sports games have come under fire for being pushed out every year with menial updates, but he also thinks that in the future there may be a place for a yearly update, but for the time being “there is still a thirst for a great, brand-new boxed game.” Looks like we’ll be forking out for a new game every year for the foreseeable future, then…
Star Wars Battlefront was also on the table during the chat. When asked why the game won’t ship with a full-on single-player experience, Peter Moore stated that “very few people actually play the single-player on these kinds of games” going on with “that’s what the data points to.”

How do you feel about this line of thinking? Are games that seem to have a primary emphasis on multiplayer content, somehow excluded from the need for a single player campaign? Especially when it comes to narrative content such as the Star Wars universe.

:arrow: SOURCE

Reactions: Margen67

Demifiend

The bored one
Trophies
XP
Country
battlefront_logo.jpg

In a recent interview with Peter Moore, COO of EA, Moore was asked about the controversy of yearly released sports titles, as well as some information about Star Wars Battlefront's lack of a single player campaign.

How do you feel about this line of thinking? Are games that seem to have a primary emphasis on multiplayer content, somehow excluded from the need for a single player campaign? Especially when it comes to narrative content such as the Star Wars universe.

:arrow: SOURCE

I don't care if it's Star Wars (Actually, i haven't watched not even one movie of that series for that reason), if it's a videogame, a single campaign mode it's always important, i can't understand how videogame industries have the line of thinking "People don't play Single Player campaigns mode" because sadly, it's part true, many people buy CoD, the fifa games, and the rest of the sport games for multiplayer reasons, but this is Star Wars, a movie where the main focus is the story and action, when you make a game solely based on a multiplayer mode, you're really betting something high, the consumer will feel like they have been scammed.

It's actually unbelievable the state of this industry, everyone is asking for remakes of old games, many companies aren't giving two shits about their games and they decide to release the yearly sequel of something with little to no actual updates, i knew that this was going to happen in a near future, since the 7th generation, the over-fluid quantity of sequels and remakes, and lack of actual new ips, and when you finally receive a new ip with an interesting setting like Codename S.T.E.A.M, everyone will say "This is bullshit, we want more Zelda and Mario", i just, can't understand this, you know, Game Theory has pretty dumb theories about Mario and Zelda games, but they were right with the "Most Gamers are ruining the videogames" shit, i'm not talking about the kind who actually play the games, beat them, enjoy them and pass a good time with it, i'm talking about the people who buy the games, expect the most common denominator in their games, and when they don't get satisfied with the same repetitive feature that wasn't included for a new and better one, they complain, complain like bitches because their games aren't the thing they want.

I need a time machine, old games are getting too expensive when time passes, and the good consoles are getting dusty and breakable, i need to go back to the time were everything was simple, yet better with games.

Reactions: Monado_III

Vanth88

Private
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These kinds of games? EA this isn't your standard BS Call of Duty or Battlefield game. The fact you couldn't even include a fraction of the maps the previous games had shows how little your company actually knows about making a quality game. Single player be damned, it was fun to run around those maps with AI. Your pathetic excuse for a Battlefront game can't even do that much.

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
This just confirms my suspicions that EA is taking away everything that made this game good back in the PS2 days and making it just another generic shooter. Ah well. At least Call of Duty has a campaign. Numbers don't necessarily equal what the fans want.

vayanui8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What a load of shit. The thing that made the old battlefront games so great was the instant actions mode. Not to mention the fun I had in the campaign mode and galactic conquest. This lameass excuse might be able to pass if they pulled it on battlefield, but this is fucking Star Wars.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Watch all the ranting and raving Streisand effect this game to even higher sales. :P

they'll hear your 'passionate complaints' and offer SP as paid DLC

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never played the previous games in this series, but regardless, I think every video game should have a single-player component. Period. There are many people who have little to no interest in multiplayer, whether it's due to poor/no internet connection, social anxiety, personal preference, or... *ahem* lack of support for pirated copies. Sure, there may be some genres that you'd think wouldn't work well with single player modes, but that's probably because they're not common or have never been done before. I could easily imagine a LoL single-player mode, akin to some of the non-building maps of Warcraft 3.

But, like everyone's saying, this is EA. They've been lowering the bar for years.

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My God, so much entitlement in this thread alone.

I don't really blame them. Single player costs money and people have bitched about Battlefield's campaigns just because "lol EA XD". If that's what their data points out, then let it be. It's not like people would've really played the single-player part of the game nowadays. I play AoE II and AoE III and I've never heard of anybody finishing the campaigns.

Reactions: Deboog

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was really on the fence about that poll. At first, I said No, since most Single Player campaigns just aren't worth it to me nowadays. Back then when I was growing up, there was MUCH more effort put into the Single Player than the Multiplayer. Like Halo, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Half-Life and Goldeneye. I chose "Yes" because, other than what I listed, there are more than likely other exceptions from this and the second half of last generation that I've never played. Everything just seems to be about Multiplayer now, so most of their focus goes there, rather than the single player. Multiplayer is supposed to be an extra, but they just switched it over because "reasons". People have recommend campaigns like CoD and Battlefield, but these war simulators are all the same, where you just run a linear path killing bots with a story that's hard to follow because of how boring it is to me, except for MW2. I actually liked that one.

HaloEffect17

Hiya!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Isn't it the other way around? Like initially intended single-player games with a multiplayer mode nobody cares to bother with? Metroid Prime 2: Echoes anyone?

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I lol'd that I was the only no. Tacking on a shitty singleplayer with shit AI and threadbare story is a waste of time and effort. If it's a multiplayer game, make it for multiplayer. You don't see MMO players screaming for a singleplayer mode. Battlefront 2's singleplayer was just an extended bare tutorial to get the gist of the game mechanics.

It's like CoD singleplayer. It's just an absolute and total waste of time for both developers AND players. It's literally like tacking multiplayer onto a primarily singleplayer game, it's just a waste of effort that could've been spent fleshing out and improving the primary mode.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no desire for a single player mode in games like those, but I don't see a reason to not have some basic single player options. Still, I'm not going to get Battlefront, but that's due to other reasons.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's a multiplayer game, make it for multiplayer. You don't see MMO players screaming for a singleplayer mode.
Who is the one to define "multiplayer game"? If a "multiplayer game" is multiplayer only, that's only because the devs made it that way. Any game can be made singleplayer (for good or bad), just like any game can be made multiplayer (for good or bad).

And on your MMO note, there have been many players "screaming" for singleplayer content, which is essentially singleplayer mode. I can't stand MMOs where the only content I can do requires groups, especially considering the fact that most people are idiots, and it makes dungeons/raids/battlegrounds frustrating. When I play MMOs I do the group content, but when I get tired of playing with others I like to do something that can be soloed.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damm them. The various single player modes of the previous 2 titles is what I enjoyed the most of battlefront. The pvp modes always sucked. I didn't know they dropped the single player mode from 3. I'm gonna have to call microsoft and cancel my digital preorder

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, everything almost double nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But I could go to Aldis and get a cookie pie for like $4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use your new cooking pan and make some, don't mind the Old leftover foods mixed in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just eat plain flour around cops
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    thats Gluten abuse, they would shoot you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on the color chart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Isn't wheat flour the whitest of the white?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Rye would get shot at sight.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends
    img_5941-1.jpeg
    everyone mixing their flour now days
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm not a flour expert I just snort it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Bruh that's gray.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's ancientboi color
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You need to add some activated charcoal.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Seems like your wifey likes hers black. :creep:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "BS" stands for "Bowel Scraping" because that's what whole grain does.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been eating honey wheat bread scrumptious
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge