Hardware E3?

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
I think the problem with releasing media through the likes of E3 is that it's not really possible to demonstrate the experience on the home audience's 2D screens. In fact this will be a longer term problem once the 3DS comes out, we're going to need a reviewer's word on how well the 3D effects are implemented because standard screenshots and trailers aren't going to be able to demonstrate that.

So in lieu of us actually seeing what playing on the 3DS is going to be like, I'd like Nintendo to give some kind of idea as to how they see the 3D aspect of the device used in ways which will develop innovative new game mechanics (ie not just the same kinds of games we've already played but with 3D graphics, ways of using the additional depth to add to the gameplay as well as the aesthetics). I'm also curious about the stylus, not least because my experience messing about with a 3D TV is that as soon as you put your hand on the screen the 3D illusion of something projecting out of the screen is totally shattered. I'm wondering if the 3D effect might be depth going into the screen (like we saw with the Looksey DSiWare game) on games that use the touch screen, with stuff popping out towards the player only on games which don't require you to touch the 3D screen. That's if both screens are touch screens anyway.

I don't think we're going to see the form of the device at E3, but I think it's possible they'll confirm either that they're sticking with 3DS or announce a new name.

gpasoyf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm going to speculate a little bit here but it is probable that only the upper screens gets the 3D, because various sites that have analysed the "leaked" prototype board of the 3DS have noted that the touch screen was the same as the current DS and the top screen was bigger.

And yeah It will be troublesome to broadcast 3DS media but they most probably will turn the 3D off for footage etc...

Whatever.... we're just 1 day away from knowing!!!

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@BlueStar-

I actually think in this case, watching the E3 conference at home has a certain merit to it. Sure we don't get to see the 3D effect, but we do get to see the games. In a way, we aren't able to be wowed by the visual gimmick, and it has to be judged solely on other useful features or good games. A system can't live just on a single visual effect.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Imagine this: two cameras at either side of the screen, a chromakey stylus, and vibration feedback. The cameras could estimate the position of the stylus above the screen, and when the stylus "collided" with where an image is floating above the screen, the vibration would give you feedback of the collision. You could actually (semi)interact with the images in 3D.

Okay, I'm scared
ph34r.gif

Reactions: 4 people

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
@Veho : That's what I just thougth before reading your post.
It could be used to detect the position in the 3D space. (but the prototype didn't have visual sensor)
didn't a rumor existed about the touch-vibration ?

I think only the top screen will have 3D too, for the reason mentioned above (still the same size of the DS) and because it needs to be the exact same size+precision for the tylus-calibration compatibility with older games.

Well, let's see in few hours, we will have the answer
tongue.gif

D

Deleted_171835

They're going to reveal pics and a promotional video of it. I hope they bring it onstage and play around with it so we can see more.

I wonder if they'll have a 3DS booth. That way, we can get more info from other news outlets. I bet they're going to promote its awesome graphical ability during the conference.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
I really hope if they do show some 3D effects on this, that someone actually takes some 3D photos, or even a 3D video of it. I don't mine putting on my red/cyan glasses, or even going cross-eyed to see how well it works.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
3DS game screenshot taken with a 3DS dual camera is a good idea
yaynds.gif

I hope we will be able to save the pictures taken with a 3DS on SD card and see them on computer.
both images saved as filename_L.png + filename_R.png would be great. There are programs to convert them later on PC to red/cyan, or crossed eyes images.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1