Hardware E3: Vita Memory Card price annoucements?

SirByte

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Any announcements on the price of Vita memory cards? The price of Vita memory cards versus MicroSD is outrageous, and with the PlaystationTV coming out (only a 4GB included?) there's another platform using this proprietary format.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be fair the Playstation TV is pushing for Playstation Now which is all game streaming so it won't need much memory space, except for your Vita and PSX games. Although I think even those can be streamed via PS Now.

Gaming4Ever

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh what i shame really the LEAST they coud have done was make some sort of price drop on these babies or as mentioned 64GB'd us

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Sony's released the PS4 recently and it's doing very well on the market, it makes sense to put the spotlight on it and give it an even bigger push when they're holding a conference during the world's largest electronic entertainment expo. Honestly, I fancy Nintendo's strategy more, meaning putting more attention on the platform that's clearly struggling, but hey - we'll see what they have to show during Gamescom.

ViRGE

Trophies
XP
Country

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
On that note though, importing a 64GB card to the US is only marginally more expensive than buying a 32GB card locally. I mean, for about $20 more (when pricing 32GB at $80), I could get a 64GB Vita memory card from amazon with free two day shipping via Prime. If directly comparing Amazon prices with Prime shipping, I still pay only about $35 more to upgrade to 64GB over 32GB. If they do announce the 64GB card for the US, they'll have to price drop the rest of their memory if they want it to actually sell here and not just be imported from Japan for cheaper, as their GB increase to price per GB decrease ratio is absolutely nonexistent. Their pricing is pretty much the same per GB on most of their cards, no matter how high you go up in the capacity.

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
advice please. I was going to get the borderlands 2 bundle which comes with an 8gb card. but if I do that should I get a 16gb card instead and just sell the 8gb card?

my other option I guess is to keep both the 8gb and 16 GB but the idea of swapping memory doesn't appeal to me.

I guess what Im trying to figure out is whether the 8gb is worth enough to make it worth selling.
GameStop refurb 8gb - 21.99
GameStop refurb 16gb - 34.99

hypothetically if I sold the 8gb for 21.99 it would be like upgrading to 16gb for only $13. that sounds pretty great.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
advice please. I was going to get the borderlands 2 bundle which comes with an 8gb card. but if I do that should I get a 16gb card instead and just sell the 8gb card?

my other option I guess is to keep both the 8gb and 16 GB but the idea of swapping memory doesn't appeal to me.

I guess what I basically want to know is whether the 8gb is worth selling. GameStop lists a return 8gb for 21.99 which is not bad.
That depends on how much digital content you're going to store. PSVita games range from 500MB to about 3GB, on average they're 1GB and some when it comes to bigger titles. An 8GB card will give you just about enough space for 4-5 games, if you think you'll need more space than that, get the 16GB one. 8GB should be enough for everyday use if you don't want to invest into the system straight away, especially if you're into physical releases which only install patches and install data, but it's not much and you will probably have to upgrade at some point, especially if you're planning to take advantage of Plus.

zeello

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just heard that the Vita OS uses up 2GB.. so even if I got two sticks and swapped back and forth, the system would take up 2Gb from each?

On second thought the real issue is whether save files can be transferred from one stick to the other without the use of a PC. I have a feeling Vita already does this, or at least it SHOULD do this provided Sony was smart. Vita has cloud saving, right? Something like that? I mean with all this memory card mess it's practically a necessity for Vita to provide some sort of assistance. It's good business sense in a way since it encourages people to buy bigger memory sticks. I wouldn't be too surprised if some sort of cloud storage function was gloriously displayed on the home screen of a new vita.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I just heard that the Vita OS uses up 2GB.. so even if I got two sticks and swapped back and forth, the system would take up 2Gb from each?

On second thought the real issue is whether save files can be transferred from one stick to the other without the use of a PC. I have a feeling Vita already does this, or at least it SHOULD do this provided Sony was smart. Vita has cloud saving, right? Something like that? I mean with all this memory card mess it's practically a necessity for Vita to provide some sort of assistance. It's good business sense in a way since it encourages people to buy bigger memory sticks. I wouldn't be too surprised if some sort of cloud storage function was gloriously displayed on the home screen of a new vita.
You just heard some magical BS. Whatever memory the OS takes up, it's memory that is not accessible to you or I, so we never notice it taking up space. The Vita can function without a memory card in it. And yes, the Vita does support cloud save uploading, though, I'm not sure if that is exclusively for PS+ members or not. Regardless, anybody that has an 8GB card should be able to work with it fine. I've had no issues keeping games I'm actually playing on there at any one time, and if I need to ditch a game, everything of importance can be backed up to PC rather easily if I want to go a more concrete route with it.

Really, these memory cards aren't some kind of grand conspiracy. They're priced as they are so that the Vita doesn't have to be as high of a price. As a tech savvy consumer, you likely are privy to the fact that, since you basically need a memory card anyways, you don't really save any more. Looking at it from the perspective of an uninformed consumer though, you see system price first and accessory prices later. As long as the base product is cheap enough, you get sales where you might not otherwise as the company, and as the consumer you just feel mildly inconvenienced later when you find that you basically need to run off and spend the price of a game on a memory card.

In the long run, there is no "memory card mess", backing up is simple and easy, and Sony's pricing system makes sense, even if we don't like it as the minority of informed consumers.

zeello

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Really, these memory cards aren't some kind of grand conspiracy."

It's not a conspiracy but it's really shooting the foot in the Vita. I think it had a negative impact on the Vita as with the PSP before it.
It always has. It's not even about price. Borderlands 2 bundle makes me ponder if maybe it should not have come with a memory stick at all and just should have let people buy the memory stick they want. Because I mean that would be consistent with the whole Vita business model right? Vita doesn't come with memory (even though arguably it should) so why does the bundle come with memory just because it comes with a voucher? (and why not a game cart instead of a voucher) If consumers were too stupid to buy a memory stick with their Vita then all Vitas would come with memory, but they don't.

Ironically the Slim Vita is the only model with 1GB built in, yet this feature goes unused in the bundle, since you get an 8GB stick. Though it makes me wonder, what if someone in Europe/Japan buys a Vita and uses the onboard 1GB then later inserts a memory stick. I think I heard somewhere that the data is able to be automatically transferred over to the stick?

In any case that 1GB onboard memory would have been an EXCELLENT way to transfer save files from one memory stick to another. But for some reason if a memory stick is in the system then the 1GB is temporarily disabled, or so I read. Why, Sony? WHYYY

I could use a PC but if it comes to that then I would resent it all the more, not just the inconvenience but the idea I was I forced to do it, and the fact I could have avoided it by ****ing strategizing my memory stick purchases.:wacko:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.