Hacking DVDR-DL Problem?

StraTTtheRipper

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a soft modded Wii system, and usually I don't have any problems playing back ups. However, recently I've been trying to burn Super Smash Bros. Brawl on a duel layer DVD, but NeoGamma keeps giving me errors when trying to load the disc. I'm getting the dreaded "DVD Drive is too new for DVD-Rs" message, but I know for a fact that it is not, for all of my other back ups play just fine, I'm only getting this message when trying to load SSBB from a dual layer DVD. I've burned it correctly with IMGburn, and set the layer break correctly, but still no luck. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated, since I've already wasted 2 of my DL discs. Thanks!

StraTTtheRipper

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I realize there are DVD-R versions of the game, but they have SSE cut out of it. I also don't recommend using a USB thumb drive because of the short life and wear and tear it causes. Plus thumb drives are slow at reading data. I thought burning the DL version to a disc would work, but it doesn't seem to be the case here.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I realize there are DVD-R versions of the game, but they have SSE cut out of it. I also don't recommend using a USB thumb drive because of the short life and wear and tear it causes. Plus thumb drives are slow at reading data. I thought burning the DL version to a disc would work, but it doesn't seem to be the case here.

Yeah... you're going to get faster access speeds off of a flash drive than a DVD, dude. Plus, if you're worried about wear and tear, you're just killing your DVD drive's laser by putting these burned disks in it.

And if you're REALLY worried about burning through your flash drive too quickly (which I haven't done yet), opt for a 2.5" external USB hard drive of some size. My 500GB has been going strong for a long, long time.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
USB loading (especially thumb drive since they have no moving parts) will be faster than disc loading because they can achieve faster random read speed.

StraTTtheRipper

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm no pro at this, but that's just what I've been told about flash drives. It seems that's about the only thing I can do right now, since my Wii doesn't want to read DVD-R DL discs. Thanks guys, I'll give the USB method a try. If it doesn't work, maybe the ISO I have is bad.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I have the hardest time with SSBB freezing on me at random times. I downloaded a good, clean full-sized dual-layer ISO of the game, and converted it to WBFS myself using Wii Game Manager. I've tried every combination of IOS to load it with, but no dice. I'm using the latest CFG loader on a USB 160GB harddrive formatted to FAT32, if that helps... and all of my IOS/cIOS/MIOS are up to date as well.

StraTTtheRipper

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the hardest time with SSBB freezing on me at random times. I downloaded a good, clean full-sized dual-layer ISO of the game, and converted it to WBFS myself using Wii Game Manager. I've tried every combination of IOS to load it with, but no dice. I'm using the latest CFG loader on a USB 160GB harddrive formatted to FAT32, if that helps... and all of my IOS/cIOS/MIOS are up to date as well.
Seems this game in general is a pain on a modded Wii system. I'm going to try running it from a thumb drive and see if it works, if it doesn't maybe I got a bad ISO, but I somehow doubt it. I thought the Wii would read DVD-R DL discs once it was modded, but apparently mine can't...If all else fails I'll just go out and buy the game again.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I do remember that when games started coming out on DL disks there were some systems that Nintendo said they would fix for free because of a defective lens that wouldn't let them read DL disks. You may be the unfortunate owner of one of those and now that it's modded I'm not sure if Ninty will fix it for you anymore.

By any chance do you have any retail games that are DL that work? If you have the above problem they wouldn't work either.

And, yeah, flash drives don't wear down when reading, only writing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1