Gaming DVD-Video ISO editing?

YayMii

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, so I made a DVD file using DVDFlick. The issue is that the wrong audio track plays instead of the one that I chose. Currently I only have the DVD in ISO form. Does anyone know a program that can change the default audio track of the ISO without re-building the whole DVD? Because my computer spent 93 hours encoding my 4hr DVD (multiple TV show episodes) and I don't want to go through that again.

Am0s

Mojo Risin
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
93 hours wow,

I have converted many films and none of them taken 93hrs, I even made a 9hr dvd using star trek DS9 and that from converting to finished product did not take that long.

I dont know why you dont un-compress the ISO and then convert the films that way and put it through a dvd menu app and then you can choose different audio tracks.

Last year I restored and edited cine films from 1967 and compiled them into a nice dvd with a slide show, with all custom tracks.

if your using a windows machine try these packages

virtualdub
after effects
winavi
dvdlab

or if your on linux try

devede
Avidemux

If you dont know virtual dub and avidemux are pretty similar you can sut and splice films up change the audio and save them back to an avi,
winavi and devede are also pretty similar once the avi is made you can convert it to a ISO vob mpg etc
after effects I dont think I need to explain that one
dvdlab you can import these mpg or vob and demux it so you can split the audio and the video and put whatevery you want on it, you can also change the way the dvd is played etc.

I know tmpgenc can do conveting too but for me tempgenc took like 16hrs and then it didnt transcode the audio, I am pretty sure I did something worng though.

I hope this helps

YayMii

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not sure you understand what I'm asking for. I don't want to dismantle the ISO and rebuild it, I want to edit the ISO itself and change the default audio track of the whole disc.

Also, it took 93 hours because of my specs. I'm using a single core AMD 1.8Ghz CPU, a GeForceFX 5700LE and 2GB of RAM.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I assume you have a dual track DVD (audio and directors commentary/dub or something) and your stock player is playing the wrong one as the default. Do however check your player- they can be set to default to a given language over that of the DVD default (I have occasionally ended up watching a Japanese dub of an English language film due to such settings and similarly I have quickly authored DVDs myself and forgot to change these and equally had commercial offerings do the same thing- usually as subtitles mind). If you encoded with the wrong audio some of the tools and techniques below can also help but it will take a bit more effort as you will probably have to remux things.

You have a few options- the simplest from the end user/one not so familiar with DVD internals perspective is to use one of the transcoding tools like DVDshrink ( http://www.dvdshrink.org/ ) as they also feature half decent reauthoring abilities. It will see a complete rebuild of the iso but it will be limited by the speed of your hard drive rather than anything else and as long as you make sure it is not changing quality it will be very quick, you probably will have to extract or otherwise mount the iso as most of these tools do not work work with isos. For the sake of a file only a few kilobytes in size you might as well do it properly though so moving on

The audio track (and most other good stuff in DVD videos) is controlled by the ifo files (.bup are backups of them), there are countless editors out there ranging from the fairly simple (ifoedit: http://www.ifoedit.com/guides.html ) to the very complex but incredible powerful (PCGedit: http://download.videohelp.com/r0lZ/pgcedit/ , it does however manage the many functions but basics are simple enough ) and several things in between (and other programs with basic functionality in this arena- vobblanker for one and rejig for another).
As a bonus though a guide to do exactly what you want to do:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60444
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=45440 - for subtitles but it corresponds to audio as well.
http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/270433-...ie-only-backups
Once you have fiddled with the ifo file you will have to inject it back into the DVD, this should not be too hard and probably could be done with a hex editor as the size should not have changed but more likely you will want a tool. Assuming an iso rebuild is not on the cards there are iso editors like ultraiso but that is paid software (good though), I have not found a decent freeware equivalent however.

Am0s

Mojo Risin
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
YayMii said:
I'm not sure you understand what I'm asking for. I don't want to dismantle the ISO and rebuild it, I want to edit the ISO itself and change the default audio track of the whole disc.

Also, it took 93 hours because of my specs. I'm using a single core AMD 1.8Ghz CPU, a GeForceFX 5700LE and 2GB of RAM.

I know you want to edit the ISO as such TBH I think it would be quicker and easier to dismantle the ISO and use those tools I suggested. also for future reference only if you have not done this make sure you have ffdshow and divx installed for converting any other avi's you got laying around. I found out of the many number of series I have converted over the years that I only need ffdshow and divx and dont need all these other packs to convert avi's

how many tv show individual avi's did you convert on this disc?

I know I converted many tv shows on 1800MHZ single core machine and only took 30mins in winavi at the time maybe a bit longer I dunno that was many years ago.

anyway whatever you do good luck with it

YayMii

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Am0s said:
how many tv show individual avi's did you convert on this disc?
None. I didn't use AVIs. I used 12 3-track MKVs.

@FAST: I'm trying to burn episodes of a remastered DBZ, which has 3 tracks (English with original BGM, Funimation English, and Japanese with original BGM). I'm trying to make it play the Funimation English track by default, and instead it just plays the other English track. I want to change this because there's practically no narration in the other track, and the other track isn't very good quality (the BGM is from the Japanese DBZ, and it sounds like it was ripped from a VHS). I also want to change it because I grew up watching the Funimation dub. And I don't want to delete the tracks, I just want to change the default track.

Thanks for the info, and also I happen to own UltraISO
tongue.gif
Thank you!

Am0s

Mojo Risin
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ah I had this problem with ghost in shell, the mkv had 2 audio streams and when I converted it it would play the jap first however I used MKVtoolnix and edited it and then removed it to play the first stream only, you can find it here but alas it will probably need to be edited at the mkv level before it is converted.
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MKVtoolnix

YayMii

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Am0s said:
ah I had this problem with ghost in shell, the mkv had 2 audio streams and when I converted it it would play the jap first however I used MKVtoolnix and edited it and then removed it to play the first stream only, you can find it here but alas it will probably need to be edited at the mkv level before it is converted.
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MKVtoolnix
But I don't want to remove any audio streams.

BTW, I'm going to burn all the other episodes I have, which is the fastest MKV to DVD converter that supports multiple streams? I'm not going to spend another 39 hours just to burn another disc.

Am0s

Mojo Risin
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
you remove them or remove then and re-order them, as far as that mkvtoolnix goes the first audio stream is the default one, so put your funimation audio as the first one then that stream will play,

also as far as I am concerned when you convert an mkv the audio get compressed so there is no way to access the other streams as such, thats what it did on mine anyway, changing the order of the streams in the mkv probably would be the easiest I guess, or just get their avi counterparts.

side note
you might want to give linux live cd a whirl as converting mkv on windows has always been a task and on linux it can do it very easily and fast, to use devede to convert an mkv to dvd format per epsiode on your type of machine should not take longer than 1 hour on linux, I would think it would take about half that time per epsiode, but thats down to you and linux doesn't appeal to everyone, dont waste another 39 hours dude

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry I should have clarified- your encoding session for all of this should be over. No more marathon encoding sessions need to happen as you already have everything you need, I am just trying to get this done without having to extract files everything and gobble up some 13 or more gigabytes (I assume you are on single layer for this) of hard drive space.
If you do have space to play with then we can strip your DVD files back to the streams that make the up (vob and ifo files are glorified zip files really) and rebuild the DVD structure entirely (might have to encode a new menu but that is easy/quick enough) but I figured I would spare you that headache in favour of the headache of learning about the DVD structure and playing with a few small files.

Your problem is that of the first kind I mentioned (correct audio, it just making playback as hassle free as possible is the issue). TV show DVDs* and film only (or at least ones without lots of extras/menus) do differ in that the film only ones are simpler but it all corresponds.

*I have dealt with some anime DVDs that have the entire DVD as one long "film" and jump to points instead.

All DVDs have a video VIDEO_TS.IFO VIDEO_TS.BUP and VIDEO_TS.VOB - this is the basic setup and when it comes down to it (at least on commercial DVDs) usually does not do all that much (it might be the menu in your case though).
Everything after this is the good stuff.
Your DVD authoring program probably split the episodes up in the DVD structure
VTS_01_?.ext (? starts at 0 and goes up, this is to dodge the 1 gig file size limit, ext is just one of the three I already covered)
VTS_02_?.ext (same as before)

It will be the ifo files that correspond to the VTS_XX rather than the VIDEO_TS you will want to tangle with for this but otherwise the techniques are identical.

The rough rule of thumb (and given the nature of video it is very rough- animated content can be far smaller but can be more troublesome) is about 2 hours per single layer DVD so you probably got 3 or 4 episodes on there.
The ifo files are like an index/contents page for everything that follows- the vob files do have all the audio, subtitles and video components but it is the ifo files where the DVD player takes the lead from- as mentioned though the player can change things itself and the menu can change things as well too (I am sure we have all set up a DVD with subs and whatnot in player/menu over the years rather than doing it from remote/right click once we get in the film) but from what you have said it does not look to be happening here.
The techniques in the threads I listed are mainly for badly stripped DVDs but either way it edits the contents pages (IFO files) and does what you want. All you have to do is change the order (the status is like a page number if I am continuing with the contents page example), worst case scenario (assuming it works) here is if you have made a fancy menu with selectable audio the corresponding text in said menu might be wrong.

If you already have a copy of ultraiso that is great (the free/demo/shareware version is limited to a few hundred megs) as that can edit ISO files like other things edit zip files. I have any number or ISO extraction and (re)building methods but editing an iso like this is something that is not that well covered by free programs for whatever reason. If you can stand to extract it to the audio_ts and video_ts folders then imgburn will quite happily take those folders and treat it like a DVD needs to be treated.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-