DVD+R or DVD-R for backups?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Tranquil, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Tranquil
    OP

Tranquil GBAtemp Regular

Oct 6, 2008
    United States
    Can someone tell me which is one is better/most popular or just your own experiences with using both? Thanks.

2. Valgreen

Valgreen GBAtemp Regular

Nov 22, 2008
    Canada
    both work fine from my experience (dvd+r as long as you booktype correctly). however using dvd-r is jsut easier as you dont have to worry about booktyping ...

3. TroyTheZombie

TroyTheZombie GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 3, 2009
    Canada
    Calgary, Canada
    -R.

and brand matters too. I found that out the hard way when burning no more heroes.

If you can find em, use Taiyo Yuden DVDs. They work flawlessly. I know newegg sells em.

4. kedest

kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 6, 2007
    Netherlands
    I can use TDK DVD+R on both hard- and softmodded Wii's just fine. And I don't think I'm bookmarking them, I never set such an option

5. djtaz

djtaz PM's Full - Wadder Me

Sep 21, 2008
    Take a look in the stickies at the issues and answers threads first post - theres a few bits on it - basically dvd-r are safer but both work.

6. maduin

maduin GBAtemp Fan

Jul 13, 2006
    United States
    verbatim and maxell brand 16x dvd-r works flawless for me. But that's all in the past now with the USB Loader being a perfect replacement to burning games.

7. mcj

mcj GBAtemp Fan

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    Congratulations for being the 1 Billionth person to start a topic on this subject. Because it's not bogged down enough here .....

8. Fat Cow

Fat Cow GBAtemp Regular

Feb 3, 2009
    United States
    From my experience Taiyo Yuden DVD-R (TYG-02 and 03) is the best for Wii, Verbatim DVD+R (MCC004) is another top tier media in general but my Wii's drive simply won't read them properly even with booktype set to -R.

9. air2004

air2004 Air

Oct 24, 2008
    United States
    Anytown
    the cheapest media is best , I have used for different kinds and they all work , my wii will only read -r disks , if your using +r media just change the book type to -r

10. cojiro

cojiro GBAtemp Regular

Apr 1, 2009
    United States
    Boston, MA
    guitar center carries TYG02 disks
    ask them for the Taiyo Yuden DVD-R

11. Maurice10

Maurice10 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 1, 2008
    United States
    For dual layer, you have to use +R. I tried -R but it didn't work.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice