Hacking DVD Playback?

Skaendo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been trying to read a lot about DVD Movie playback (Pressed DVD Movies) and all I find is DVDx is depreciated and HBC handles it now, or something to that effect.

I have a RVL-001 LU31 4.2U and cant remember if I played DVD's on it or not, but I do remember that I had DVDx installed on it at one time.

Can someone explain to me how DVD playback is being handled?
I still have a copy of DVDx, but want to know if there is a new way or app that does what DVDx used to?

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been trying to read a lot about DVD Movie playback (Pressed DVD Movies) and all I find is DVDx is depreciated and HBC handles it now, or something to that effect. I have a RVL-001 and cant remember if I played DVD's on it or not, but I do remember that I had DVDx installed on it at one time.

Can someone explain to me how DVD playback is being handled? I still have a copy of DVDx, but want to know if there is a new way or app that does what DVDx used to?
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/WiiMC

Played some "real" DVD's with it too. DVD menu's are a bit buggy, but they work.

Skaendo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm reading through the WiiMC Install notes and I've come across some issues.

WiiMC -
Prerequisites
1. You must have IOS58 to use this channel. Either upgrade to System Menu 4.3, or use the IOS58 Installer.
2. You must have Homebrew Channel 1.0.8+ running on IOS58 to run the installer. If HBC is not using IOS58, reinstall it.

Are these just for the channel? (For me a have to have)

I do not want to upgrade my System Menu.
-Im currently at 4.2U.

My IOS58 is currently: IOS58 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, USB 2.0.
-Does this indicate that I have the correct IOS58?

And my Homebrew Channel 1.1.2 running on IOS61.
- This shouldnt be a issue to change.

I've checked out the others as well:

MPlayerWii - obsoleted
MPlayer TT - obsoleted
MPlayer CE - last updated 3-2011 - obsolete?
Wii MFE Port - obsoleted

I understand that the Wii scene may be dying/phased out, and I have been out of it for a while, but I would have thought that since the last time I was in it things would have progressed.

Most things that I see are pretty much the way I left them. So to speak.

SuperrSonic

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
My IOS58 is currently: IOS58 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, USB 2.0.
-Does this indicate that I have the correct IOS58?
Install IOS58 again but this time without patches, only afterwards you may install HBC again to make it use the clean IOS58, when you load either the WiiMC channel installer or WiiMC itself it will now load with ahbprot disabled which means you get full hardware access, which means you can play DVDs if your drive supports it.

No, you do not need to upgrade to 4.3 or anything else, the system menu is the system menu and nothing more. The online updates are different, so people simply assume that if you have SM 4.3 you have IOS58 already because it comes with the update. SM updates stopped being useful since 4.1

Stick with WiiMC, it has more features and is pretty stable.

Skaendo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks bobmcjr & SuperrSonic.
I got WiiMC installed with channel and watching The Right Stuff on DVD from my Wii !

(I downloaded IOS58 with ModMii and installed with Wad Manager 1.7.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs