DVD playback and DVD Backup Problems, please help a noob!

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by dhabell, Aug 26, 2009.

1. dhabell
    OP

Newcomer dhabell Newbie

United States
    I have a LU63 wii running Ver. 4.0U. I successfully performed the bannerbomb exploit (I think) with HackMii. I have the homebrew channel installed. I installed DVDx. I did not install BootMii.

On the HackMii v0.3 installer screen it says Im using IOS versions: installer 34, HBC 61, DVDx 36

I tried using a couple different versions of mPlayer so I can watch DVD's on my wii. It didnt work. Then I tried installing the 2 different versions of DVDx I found on the Homebrew Browser and reinstalling mPlayer. That didnt work either. When I try to use mplayer I get some error message about DVD stubs or something... Can someone please help?

Also I want to be able to run NGC and Wii backups from DVD. I also want to create my backups from Wii discs I own. please help?

so here are my problems:
    1. dvd playback is not working
    2. how do I run dvd backups (wii and ngc)?
    3. how do I create wii dvd backups?

thank you! and yess Im a noob and looked for FAQ and stickies first

2. illinialex24

Member illinialex24 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Did you install cIOScorp or something, or anything that would overwrite IOS36? DVDx is based off 36, and although there have beenn mods to make it run of 201 (with 201 essentially be IOS36, so you can overwrite 36). Did you try MPlayer CE .62, I like that the best personally but I have no idea on best versions.

3. dhabell
    OP

Newcomer dhabell Newbie

United States
    Im not sure. I dont even know what any of that stuff means, sorry. I have been playing around with it alot to try and get it to work, I may have. I doubt it though cuz i dont want to brick anything and tried not to mess with the settings. Am I allowed to ask where to find MPlayer CE .62?

Can you help me on how to create and run DVD backups also? (I have looked around at the turorials but they all seem geared to types of hacks I didnt use and other wii menu versions) thanks.

4. thc42O

Banned thc42O Banned

Canada
  5. dhabell
    OP

Newcomer dhabell Newbie

United States
    Thanks! - but is it hard to install a cios? where is a guide for those who have LU63 and menu 4.0U and used HackMii (bannerbomb)? and what are the risks of installing a new cios? thanks again

6. thc42O

Banned thc42O Banned

Canada
    its a custom ios that doesnt overwrite any existing ios so no risk.

u place it in the apps folder of your sd card and run the installer with HBC

7. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Just so you know, Wii game/GC game backups have absolutely nothing to do with being able to play dvd movies and such through media player CE.

It's entirely different things that you need to install and I suggest you read through everything in the guide in my sig before starting to "play around" with things because you can very easily brick your Wii by doing things that you don't understand.

8. dhabell
    OP

Newcomer dhabell Newbie

United States
    thanks for help!! going to try this in a bit after a little more research. Its actually my dad's wii, so I would feel really bad if I brick it.

can you please point me to any other guides that you think would help me? I Have the a bannerbombed LU63 with 4.0U menu

thanks again!!!

9. thc42O

Banned thc42O Banned

Canada
    Mplayer_CE's cios wont brick you. and can b uninstalled.
    if ur too scared to brick maybe you shouldnt of modded it.

10. dhabell
    OP

Newcomer dhabell Newbie

United States
    @nabster

so I read your Noob Starter Guide. awesome stuff dude. its still a little over my head but...

1. so when I try installing BootMii with HackMii I only have the option to install as a IOS. Is it still worth installing?

regarding the Trucha Bug Restorer and the cIOS sections of the guide...

2. so I do the stuff in the video you linked to in the Trucha Bug Restorer section first, then I use cIOS38 rev14 to install IOS36? then I should be ok to run
    unsigned DVD backups correct?

3. then I can install mPlayer ce 0.75 and their cios (202)? how do I do that?

thanks. sorry for being such a noob head!

11. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States

1. Read the section on bootmii - IOS again, it's still kinda worth it, but just that in itself won't really protect you from bricks, but it will just give you a last resort option before HAVING to send it to Nintendo if you DO brick it.

2. I linked to a few guides at the end that you can directly follow more easily. The point of mine is to understand what you're doing and why you're doing it before you follow anything in those guides. By installing cIOS rev14, you will be able to run burnt copies of Wii games. Don't confuse yourself by trying to call it anything different. Waninkoko's cIOS (rev 14)/a backup launcher such as NeoGamma is necessary for Wii disc based backups, a cMIOS/GC backup launcher is necessary for GC backups, and that same cIOS rev14/a USB Loader like USB Loader GX is necessary for running Wii games from a USB drive. (And a USB drive formatted to WBFS of course.). For just playing DVD movies, this doesn't really have much to do with it.

3. I believe the cIOS is called something like the USB 2.0 cIOS or something. I didn't write too much on my section on dvdx because I never really bothered with using my Wii as a DVD player since standalone ones are cheap enough and I'd rather not put my Wii's laser through the trouble of running DVD movies. AFAIK, though, dvdx isn't really necessary anymore and that USB 2.0 cIOS that installs to IOS202 should be enough for media player CE.