Hacking DVD drive read speed

Retal

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I am using cIOSrev14 and NeoGamma R7 to play Fire Emblem burned to DVD+R. This works fine, except that there is occasionally a freeze in audio (for less than a second) while it takes several seconds to load data from the ROM. I once read that a version of cIOS could not read from ROMs at full speed, but I don't know if this is still a limitation of the current rev14. Is this problem with Fire Emblem also experienced by retail copy owners and should my setup be able to read discs at full speed, or is this problem caused by an inefficiency of the cIOS?

lll

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
All softmods are limited to reading from the DVD drive at 3x speed. The same limitation applies to all modchips that sit on the drive cable, but not to soldered or Wii-Clipped chips which can read at the full 6x.

A way of reading at full speed on softmods is unlikely (but not impossible) given that the restriction of speed is enforced in the DVD drive firmware.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yea basically that ^^^^

It's not really the fault of the cIOS, backups aren't gonna be read at full speed with softmods right now so if you really want to get around that with softmods you would have to use a USB Loader instead which would read at speeds faster than retail discs themselves.

When I played my retail copy of fire emblem I don't recall any audio freezes so it's likely the fault of it being a backup disc.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Exactly. I have to add that there's no restriction other than by the used hardware itself when you load games from something else than the Wii drive. USB loaders and FlatMii are only limited by usb and HDD speed.

nubecoder

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.nubecoder.com
XP
Country
United States
retail = 6x
backup = 3x (DVD+/-R)

Until someone can fake the Wii disc type, telling the drive reader's firmware that a DVD+/-R is a retail Wii disc (highly unlikely IMO), this is what we get with Disc loading.

mousex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not a protection.
The Wii thinks that DVD-R are Video-DVDs and Video-DVDs need no high speed so it only reads them at 3x.
The backup launchers use this video mode because without it they couldn't read DVD-Rs at all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up