Gaming Dualboot with 2 power on buttons

Raki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Heya

My PC got 2 buttons to power on (one was used for a multimedia OS and one for Windows XP by default), but now that I formatted it both just boot into XP...
is there a way I could get one button to boot mac OS (if my hardware is compatible) / Linux and the other one to boot XP?

NXTninja

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i tried 2 dual boot mac os, u can only have Mac os installed, no way 2 dual boot
frown.gif

themuddaload

Creepin' hardcore.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
the best way i can think of doing it, athough i dont know exactl how your hardware works, is to install xp on 1 hd, and macosx on another drive, this eliminates the whole format issue. then hook one drive to each power button?

i have dinked around alot with linux distros multibooting (one time i had like 9 distros on one hd =P )

but i dont think bootcamp or grub will allow for the usage of 2 power buttons, i'd try using 2hds though...

Outrager

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some laptops come with a quick boot multimedia OS so you can watch a DVD or play music without taking the time to load Windows. This is usually an embedded linux OS so there's no real way to route the button to boot a different OS of your choice.

Raki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

the black one left is the button for the multimedia OS, the right one the one for Windows (and between them is a display)

I searched through my BIOS, but found nothing :/

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Raki said:

the black one left is the button for the multimedia OS, the right one the one for Windows (and between them is a display)

I searched through my BIOS, but found nothing :/
The multimedia button probably tells the BIOS to boot a second partition.
Too bad is that you had to actually examine the second partition to see if it needed a special label/file system/other to boot into it
tongue.gif

Seeing that now there is only one partition, it doesn't find the second one and just boots the first (and only) one.

You could just try to create a second partition put a lightweight distro linux and see if it boots that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Has he had seizures before?