OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
txtQq.png
DStwo Video Optimisation Guide

Making good quality, low filesize videos for use on the DStwo's video player.
picture-3417.png

Intro:
The purpose of this guide is to make the best use out of your DSTwo's video player. Do your video files fail to play properly, or at all? Do they look jagged or rough? Are the video files themselves too large for your memory card? This guide will address those issues and more.

caACJ.jpg

This illustrated guide will teach you how to use a free DivX Video converter to make DivX encoded videos ideal for the DStwo. The end result here is Disney Pixar's "Up", a feature length film converted to a 360mb video, at 256x176 resolution. The original video is my own DVD rip for personal use.

Installation:
To begin with you'll need to actually install the DivX converter, this tool is free and easy to use, as well as fast and effective. EDIT: My mistake, the software is not free, it only appeared to be free since my system had it registered...
http://labs.divx.com/Converter?cid=startmenu
(Direct link to DivX Converter 6.6.1 Beta 1)

When you install this, you may be prompted to install a newer version than the install you downloaded, select No as it will try to install a different program called DivX Converter Plus, which is not what we'll be using.

Once installed, you should find a nice small interface, from here you are ready to go.
6w7Tc.png

(This is the newest appearance of the converter, but this guide will be using an older converter, which worked just as well and just the same.)

Configuration:

DivX converter needs a little bit of configuration to get things ready for your DS.
First you'll want to right click the window to bring up the preferences.
RV6Xd.png

In preferences, you'll want to save the converted videos to somewhere you'll remember. Since I'll be copying them straight to the DSTwo's memory card, I'll just save them to my desktop.
jqpQC.png

With that done, you can now begin adding media.
You begin by simply dragging and dropping videos onto the converter.
nJpmS.png

Once you are done adding videos, you want to click the left/right arrows to switch the profile from "Home Theatre" to "Mobile", and then click "View List". You should see something like this.
x2fT5.png

You can see the video resolution for mobile defaults to 320 pixels wide, but the Nintendo DS resolution is 256 pixels wide, so we need to change this.
Click the video you want to adjust, and click modify, to bring up this window.
DrIfE.png

Click advanced, here you can see the video aspect ratio. Now click "Use Custom resolution", then ensure aspect ratio is locked, and set the video's width to 256. (The video height will adjust automatically). For a widescreen (16:9) video, 256x176 would be good. For a non-widescreen (4:3) video, you should expect 256x192 resolution, which is the same as the DS screen.
xh1Dn.png

Optionally, you can try adjusting the video bit-rate. A high bit-rate means better image quality, but also makes the file-size larger.
v0hUp.png

I recommend that you leave the audio bit-rate at 64bps, the Nintendo DS system does not have amazing sound, so added audio quality would be a waste.

Finally, with the video width set to 256px wide, and the profile quality set to mobile, we can okay everything and click convert.
lqeAc.png

Depending on how long the video is, it can take a few minutes.

Final Steps:
Finally, the video file will be converted, and the end result should be a .DivX video file.
nyHHh.png

This is the video file you want, but before you can use it on a DSTwo, you need to rename it. The DStwo does not recognise .DivX file extensions.
By Default, Windows hides file extensions for files, you need to make sure they aren't hidden. (Here's how you do it on Windows 7)
With File Extensions visible, just change "video.divx" to "video.avi", that's it, you're done! The video is ready to be copied to your DStwo's memory card.>
nyHHh.png
--->
jAB5o.png

Enjoy your high-quality video playback! :)

Troubleshooting:
Q: DivX converter refuses to convert my video file, what can I do about it?
P092Z.png

A: It looks like DivX just won't handle some file formats, such as .FLV video, in that situation, you might want to look into using Oxelon media converter, to convert one video to another video that DivX converter WILL handle.
IE: Convert from youtube.FLV to youtube.AVI, then youtube.AVI to a DivX encoded Youtube video.

Q: Why don't I just use Oxelon media converter for my DStwo video needs?
A: Because Oxelon media converter cannot convert video to the DivX codec.

Q: Why should I use the DivX codec?
A: The DivX codec is high quality, well compressed and very compatible, all kinds of systems and devices are DivX compatible, including the DSTwo Player.

Q: DivX converter isn't free though, what should I do?
A: Well, that's up to you really. I do not encourage piracy, but you can still use the software free for 15 days.

Q: Why use the old DivX converter instead of DivX Converter Plus?
A: I might be wrong, but it looks like DivX Converter Plus limits the minimum resolution to 426x240, which is not ideal for the DSTwo.

Q: The video isn't playing on my DSTwo! Did I do something wrong?
A: It might be a bad conversion, try converting the video again, and make sure the file extension is .avi.

Q: Will this guide also work for my iPlayer/iSmart MM/Misc. Flashcart?
A: The guide should work for any flashcart that is capable of playing regular video formats.

Q: Will this guide work for moonshell video?
A: No, Moonshell media player can only play video in DPG format, and Moonshell does not have the added processing power of a DStwo.

Q: I converted the video to 512 pixels wide, why doesn't it look better?
A: The DS itself only has 256 x 192 pixels on its screen, so the DStwo has to discard half of those 512 pixels to make the video fit on screen. This is also a waste of file size as you can still get a good quality picture out of a low-resolution image.

Q: I want to put Youtube videos on my DStwo, will you make a guide?
A: No, there are hundreds of solutions for downloading Youtube videos on the internet, they're just a google away. Some are just webpages, others are web-browser extensions, or programs. If you download a youtube video, try to download an .MP4 video if one is available.

Q: Can you make a guide for non-windows users?
A: Sadly no, I only know how to convert video using Windows. I do not know if DivX has a video converter for Mac or Linux users.

Q: I have unanswered questions, answer them!
A: Alright alright, just post in this topic and I'll try my best to sort them out.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rydian said:
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio_vi...video/super.cfm
Supports way more input formats, and has the resolution and crap settings right on the front page, if you want to consider it.
I gave that SUPER program a try, it wasn't quite so user-friendly and took longer to set up.
With SUPER it'd be too easy to mis-configure something, I ended up with a less-optimal video (500mb) and it wouldn't play back properly on the DStwo Player.

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nice guide, but to be honest with you. If the file isn't working properly and needs to be converted. You might as well convert it to DPG and get a better result, along with it being tons less complicated to do so.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
CannonFoddr said:
What happens after that 15-days is up ??
Haven't you watched "The Ring"?

Speaking of video conversion software, try Format Factory. It's relatively simple, and it's free.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Veho said:
CannonFoddr said:
What happens after that 15-days is up ??
Haven't you watched "The Ring"?

Speaking of video conversion software, try Format Factory. It's relatively simple, and it's free.
1) No...
2) Usually I use 'Super' but thought I'll just try DIVX as it seemed simpler to use, tried your suggestion though..Seems like there's no 'default' 'to AVI' > DIVX/256x192 option, so you need to create a 'Custom' mode

(Oh & apparently there are Youtube videos on 'getting serial' for Divx - but I don't really like illegally registered software)

EDIT: Hmm - tried both on a Ad downloaded from Youtube (so it was a FLV converted to AVI using 'Super') & IMHO I think the FormatFactory seems a better job for picture quality, although it does create slightly bigger files
1114ebo.jpg

Notice on 'Divx Converter' version - just above the Hand it's more 'Pink', although the 'FormatFactory' one seems more 'blurred'

I did notice in the Ad playback of the Divx - the 'Bold' colour effect (i.e. the Pink) seems to come & go as it played

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Killermech said:
Nice guide, but to be honest with you. If the file isn't working properly and needs to be converted. You might as well convert it to DPG and get a better result, along with it being tons less complicated to do so.
I guess this guide is for people who actually want to take advantage of their media-capable flashcart then.
DPG is a decent format, but it suffers slowdown when too much happens on screen, and I've had it freeze my DS a number of times.

QUOTE(CannonFoddr @ Dec 26 2010, 12:29 PM) Have I downloaded the wrong one ?? (6.6.1 Beta 1)

When starting it up it say it's a 15-day trial...What happens after that 15-days is up ??

Strange, DivX converter should be free, shouldn't it?
At least the small program I've been using has always been free, not the DivX converter Plus, that's a different program.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Stevetry said:
QUOTE said:
DPG is a decent format, but it suffers slowdown when too much happens on screen

if you crank up the video to super settings yes it does freezes but to avoid this you have to play with the rates
Well whenever it froze, it'd be when the video finishes playing.
I don't recall trying to make the videos super-high quality or anything.

Still DPG is a limited format whilst DStwo can take advantage of high-quality video, so really that's what this guide is about.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Stevetry said:
i downloaded that divs thing and it says is 15 days free
Okay, I'll have to try installing it on my laptop, because as far as I'm aware, the converter I'm using should be free.
You should be using DivX Converter, NOT DivX converter plus, if you accidentally installed that.

Edit: Okay, it seems I've made a serious mistake.
The converter isn't free, it turns out that my version is registered for whatever reason.
Actually I seem to recall that DivX may have one time given out free installations of the converter for whatever reason...

Anyhow, my mistake, the software is not free, but the software itself is still very useful.
I know how people are like on the internet, they usually figure out how to make not-free stuff, free...

Edit: Ugh, this guide looks like one of those spam-bot guides for paid software now, not what I intended...

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Pendor said:
Very nice guide and all, I guess.

But in doing so it defeats the purpose of the flashcart's media player.
Yes, the media player is capable of playing unconverted video, but the purpose of this guide to optimise that experience.
This way you can enjoy more video on one memory card, it should look better too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.