Hacking DSTwo Plus Setup (No GW Simulator)

ragnamuffin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm getting a Gateway and a DSTwo Plus for Christmas. They were ordered before this mess with the potential bricks happened, so now I want to keep each for a separate use, i.e. use the Gateway for 3DS games and the DSTwo Plus exclusively for NDS/GBA/SFC games.

From what I understand, the setup for the DSTwo Plus includes the EOS and the Gateway Simulator. All the setup instructions say to place both files in the root of the SD card, but if possible, I'd like to keep the GW Simulator off the card entirely. Is this possible? Does anyone know if it will function normally with just the EOS files?

Ekaitz

Redhead Believer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Why are you buying a Gateway? There is RxTools if you're on 9.2 or less... Same thing but free.

For the GW Simulator, the DS Two doesn't include anything in fact. It just "copy" the Gateway card function. It is launches using the MSET profile exploit, same way as gateway. The card act as a... key that allows the launch of the CFW. Gateway is the original key, DS2+ is a copy. Just setup everything and when you want to launch Gateway, remove the DS2+ and put the GW instead. Or better, don't buy the Gateway and use rxTools. ;)

D

Deleted-236924

You can use DSTwo+ without the GW emulation part just fine. It'll function as a regular DS mode card.

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm getting a Gateway and a DSTwo Plus for Christmas. They were ordered before this mess with the potential bricks happened, so now I want to keep each for a separate use, i.e. use the Gateway for 3DS games and the DSTwo Plus exclusively for NDS/GBA/SFC games.

From what I understand, the setup for the DSTwo Plus includes the EOS and the Gateway Simulator. All the setup instructions say to place both files in the root of the SD card, but if possible, I'd like to keep the GW Simulator off the card entirely. Is this possible? Does anyone know if it will function normally with just the EOS files?

The Gateway plug-ins are only needed for the Gateway part.

Just don't get the Gateway emulation files and you'll be ok playing the rest of the DSTWO (DS/SNES/GBA). So yes is possible to keep that away from your system entirely.

You can even safely use the Gateway pug-in if you stick to 3.4.1

The9thBit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like everybody else is saying, rxTools is your best bet here. There is no risk of getting a brick (or at least a much lower one), and it's free. I always convert my cartridge games to CIA format so i can play them from the SD card, and I keep a DS mode flashcart in the game slot at all times. That way 3DS and DS backups can both be played at a moments notice.

ragnamuffin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the responses, guys. I'm relieved to know I can use the DSTwo Plus as a DS cart without the Gateway part.

As for why I'm not using rxTools: I have a N3DS on v.8.1.0.0J and as I understand it, rxTools is not an option. The only ones available to me are permanent and they use sysnand instead of emunand. They also require additional game carts for the exploits which I am not interested in tracking down, and cfw only plays cia files so I'd have to convert my entire game collection. All of these things make cfw way too inconvenient. I don't know if I'll use the Gateway yet; maybe just watch how things unfold over the next few months, but my backlog is huge so I'm in no rush to play 3DS games at the moment.

Anyway, thanks again for the responses.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, on that android PC?