Hacking DSTwo or iPlayer?

3DPiper

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm thinking of upgrading all of my kids DSLites to DSi's (four of them)..

Right now they all have Acekards, which work great..

They would like to be able to also watch movies on their DS, so I was thinking either iPlayer or Supercard DSTwo..

Our whole video library is all XVid..

The iPlayer seems to be able to play XVid with no problems.. Can the DSTwo play vidoes as well?

Is there any reason to get the DSTwo over the iPlayer?

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
Afaik iPlayer is homebrew only if playing commercial games is important to you, get the DSTwo. The DSTwo should be able to play any video that the iPlayer can, however, I would consider converting them to a smaller screen size, even with 390mhz, video is a lot of work, if the output video is the same resolution as the screen, it should be easier on the battery life and playback framerate.
I don't know about iPlayer firmware updates, but DSTwo updates are usually released within a day of any firmware that blocks flash carts.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You can barely even find the iPlayer anymore.
Go with the Supercard DSTwo, it's miles ahead of the iPlayer, plus has it can play roms.
Also the DSTwo has all the features and more of the iPlayer. I can play almost all video formats and music formats as well has a features like SNES emulation.

Nathanaël

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nauru
A Gay Little Catboy said:
as well has a features like SNES emulation.

lol.

Yes, and it can read PDF files too.
moogle.gif

Besides that, DS2 is indeed a better choice out of this two cards. But Moonshell with converted movies is still better. You should stay with your Acekard. It's simply better. Converting a movie takes just 5 minutes.

You won't watch a lot of movies on your DS anyway. Better get a PSP or anything if you'd like to watch movies. You can't watch TV with 192x256 pixels. It's simply not possible. You need a TV if you'd like to watch TV. Or something better than a DS.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iplayer is still being supported and they released an update for 1.4.3 some time ago, but i'm tryin to get rid of mine on the trading forum (WTT/Give)

i'm not sure Stanislav has done his research -- I'm quite sure that DSTwo did all three of those things before EX4 even came out

edit (additional iplayer info):
yes, it does support xvid, and if your videos are in HD you'll have to downconvert them to get a decent playback speed anyway. it's only designed to play up to 640x480 without any intermediate file conversion, at least i think that's what it said somewhere on the box or manual. the official website is www.dsiplayer.com and, (@OP) since you have access to the trading forum feel free to look at my thread. i don't want a lot for it but i bought it before the dstwo came out and paid the full original price of around $45 so it'd pain me to give the complete kit away for nothin at all
tongue.gif
heck i'd happily trade it for a used but working Acekard or maybe something else you may be planning to replace.

however the DSTwo does support commercial roms and the iPlayer doesn't for NDS roms. And, if you want to make sure they have flashcarts that will be promptly updated in case of a DSi System Update you should get DSTwos to replace the Acekards. afaik there still hasn't been an AK2i firmware update to make them compatible with 1.4.3 and the DSTwo/iPlayer were both update fairly promptly

koimayeul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
dstwo for its fast updates in case of firmware blockage, and extra features the video player plugin is nice i use it only to play music clips from youtube though, converted to .avi

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
koimayeul said:
dstwo for its fast updates in case of firmware blockage, and extra features the video player plugin is nice i use it only to play music clips from youtube though, converted to .avi

It can play FLV files natively..

3DPiper

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Moreover, are you going to sell your NDS lites on the Temp?

Probably not, these are all franken-ds's.. My kids have been very rough on them, they all have multiple shell's/buttons/screens.. I have two bags worth of parts that I've collected from repairing them.. Hence the new DSi's..

if you want the iplayer pick up the ismart mm instead. it is the same hardware and it is supported by supercard for ismartds.

Maybe the iSmart is the card I saw, I guess I thought it was the iPlayer..

I read conflicting reports of what emulators work, movies being able to be played, etc.. The reviews on the shoptemp site are hit and miss.. Some people say some advertised functions do not work at all..

Are there current working GBA/SNES emulators and the ability to play XVid movies now? If so I'm sold..

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
3DPiper said:
Moreover, are you going to sell your NDS lites on the Temp?

Probably not, these are all franken-ds's.. My kids have been very rough on them, they all have multiple shell's/buttons/screens.. I have two bags worth of parts that I've collected from repairing them.. Hence the new DSi's..

if you want the iplayer pick up the ismart mm instead. it is the same hardware and it is supported by supercard for ismartds.

Maybe the iSmart is the card I saw, I guess I thought it was the iPlayer..

I read conflicting reports of what emulators work, movies being able to be played, etc.. The reviews on the shoptemp site are hit and miss.. Some people say some advertised functions do not work at all..

Are there current working GBA/SNES emulators and the ability to play XVid movies now? If so I'm sold..

Yes, the emulators and movie player software are available from the dstwo website and probably filetrip too. the GBA and SNES emulators work well enough, the SNES one works far better than the snesds, the gba emulator works fine for me, but some elitists will probably tell you that a few specific games don't work or soemthing. As for playing movies, as long as the files are not at too high a resolution you should be fine. Also moonshell still works so you can still play your dpg movies on it.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
the video player for the ismartmm is almost as good as the one for the scds2. they were both coded by supercard and should both play the same formats. i haven't played around with either for a long time so i can't give you many specifics.

the ismartmm does not do native snes emulation, only gba. the gba emu they are using is the same as the 1st build released for the scds2. it isn't as good as the scds2 gba emu and it does not appear to support the game_config.txt file (which improves compatibility). however, recently the dingoo handheld's linux port (dingux) was ported to the ismartmm (ismart linux). after some tweeking and a few releases it can actually play some of the dingux emulators. there is now a wide variety of emulation you can do with the ismartmm that you can not do with the scds2. the scds2 does have a mame4allport, an atari emu, and a special port of ds2x86 (the dos computer emulator).

the scds2 has a really nice replacement menu by baseacegold. the menu alone is a reason to give the scds2 a try.

the ismartmm (iplayer) hardware has a slower cpu than the scds2. there will be things the scds2 can do that you ismartmm will never be able to do. however, from what i've been told it is "fast enough".

if you are basing your decision on gba, snes, and vids, then the scds2 will be better, faster, and more refined. if you want to experiment with more homebrew emulation (via ismart linux) and continue to have the same great support (as supercard updates the ismartmm as well as the scds2), then give the ismartmm a try.

if you have the money pick up both and play around.

-another world

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.