Hacking DSTT with R4 Commander (Rom Trim)

El_Presidente

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've used the excellent R4 Commander from TrolleyGuy for my R4 card with great success, but now I have a DSTT too and would like to use the same single manager/trimmer.

When I tried to use R4 Commander to trim and load the roms onto my 1GB Sandisk MicroSD everything looks good, with 40 games and 100MB still free.

Load up the DSTT into the DS tho' and I get the loading freeze that many people have reported. When I manually put the .nds files on the card everything works, but of course there isn't any trimming so I'm down to 30+ games. This makes me believe that my MicroSD and my DSTT are working OK.

In summary, R4 Commander with DSTT, a good idea or not? Alternatives?

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I've used the excellent R4 Commander from TrolleyGuy for my R4 card with great success, but now I have a DSTT too and would like to use the same single manager/trimmer.

When I tried to use R4 Commander to trim and load the roms onto my 1GB Sandisk MicroSD everything looks good, with 40 games and 100MB still free.

Load up the DSTT into the DS tho' and I get the loading freeze that many people have reported. When I manually put the .nds files on the card everything works, but of course there isn't any trimming so I'm down to 30+ games. This makes me believe that my MicroSD and my DSTT are working OK.

In summary, R4 Commander with DSTT, a good idea or not? Alternatives?

I don't see why it shouldn't work. Do games trimmed with other trimmers work ok? Which version of R4 Commander are you using?

El_Presidente

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
TrolleyDave - I'm using R4 Commander v2.05.

I have just tried a stand alone trimmer called G6&M3DS_Real_Trim_Tool_V1.00beta. This seems to have worked. Only odd thing is my DSOrgansize v3.2 has stopped loading (and I know I didn't trim that).

SaltyDog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use the same flash card in both my R4 and DSTT with trimmed roms. they both load fine. what i found out is that you have to rename the R4 .SAV to .sav (R4 is all upper case) otherwise the DSTT does not see the save files. trimming just removes unused space so a trimmed rom should work on any drag and drop card.

El_Presidente

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm... my original thoughts were, "why isn't this just working?". You chaps seem to think it should.

I'm obviously going to have to try my actions again, from the beginning.

I'll update to the very latest v2.13 of R4 Commander before I retry.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm... my original thoughts were, "why isn't this just working?". You chaps seem to think it should.

I'm obviously going to have to try my actions again, from the beginning.

I'll update to the very latest v2.13 of R4 Commander before I retry.

I've just uploaded 2.14 to the blog and to the download center! It might be something Brian was talking about in the TokyoTrim thread about how some flashcarts don't run if a rom has been undertrimmed, which mine was doing up til 2.10 (then it over trimmed dammit!) but I fixed the trim size in 2.13 so upgrading might solve the problem. Does the TopToy use firmware installs like the R4? I might be able to whip you up a pack for it.

El_Presidente

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
TrolleyGuy - thanks very much for the offer re: the TTDS, but I'm not sure what info/files you need for a pack. The DSTT has simple firmware files just like the R4, including one .dat, one .sys and a host of other files including configs and a default skin set all under a directory called TTMenu.

Right now I have my trimmed games and DSOrganize working on the DSTT after a a MicroSD reformat and a reload of outputs from the stand-alone trimmer I mentioned. As such I'm cautious about trying again using R4 Commander.

In the end the DSTT is for a family member, where I use the R4. Like many who 'sort of' know what they are doing I've become the DS FlashCart support guy for my friends & family network (10+ and growing)...

Again, I really appreciate the good and fast responses.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Imma make quesadillas for lunch :D +1