Hacking DSTT Reader specs and alternatives

neogba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Data provided by hjreggel http://www.hjreggel.net/cardspeed/index.ht...eader-s839.html

...and search the page for "6700" and you will see the below:

Description of the included DSTT reader/writer:
YinXin B1 SDHC
USB 2.0 SDHC/MMC

VID / PID
Vendor / Product
14CD : 6700
(Verified in Kubuntu using simply "lsusb" (List USB) command yielding "14CD:6700")

Version

Rev. = 0201

Controller unknown???? (so far). Could there be a firmware update?

W't Outer Dimensions Area Volume
13g 29.5 × 71.2 × 11.4 21cm² 24cm³

FW (Firmware) = Unknown

Additional info = M209E

A package picture link showing specs:
http://www.dealextreme.com/photogallery.dx/sku.7120~seQ.5
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question #1 Does yours work flawlessly on a 4GB SDHC and writing large files (128MB)?

My flash works fine while inside the DSTT and DS lite. ...Still is. The only problems I had, were fixed by rewriting a file that hung via the reader/writer.

Edit: Maybe this is because it never writes fast (in the DS). ?!

Writing (loading the flash drive in the reader) shows a promising speed at first but then tappers off, hangs, un-mounts and/or locks up the computer (Similar errors in both Win XP updated and Open Software / Kubuntu). Two different Kubuntu computers too(all with USB 2.0 PCI card). It does this with either (V)FAT32 or (V)FAT(16) formating. FAT being snappier and 4GB is the new maximum for FAT (VFAT16). 32GB (was) the max for (V)FAT32. As long as you do not have more than 512 (long) filenames in your root directory, (V)FAT(16) should do nicely (default allocation).

#2 What alternative reader works for you.

The above site suggests a "Singim" inside controller would perform not only fast reads (which isn't much of a problem at these read speeds in those DSTT) but also fast write speeds; without hanging in the reader/loader. Given this info, I have "Googled" a reader, branded as IO gear and the words "Card Data" printed on it. This may contain the faster controller and represent a faster read and especially needed write speed with various (MicroSD and HC) flash drives.

I hope we can get to the bottom of the write problem with this included DSTT reader (or my flash) and save time.
cool.gif

neogba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I went out and purchased a "SanDisk USB 2.0 12-in-1 Card Reader/Writer" with SDHC rated slot: Note the "HC".

(I do not like SanDisk since I heard they put DRM on Flash drives but it's what the store has to test with. It was WAY to much at $30 and I don't recommend it. It comes with a silly button and cheap tiered (photo) software that only works in Windows. Why "Window-ise" a perfectly universal device?)
lecture.gif
Soap box twirling dismount.

While plugged into the USB2.0 PCI card (MicroSDHC in the SD and in the SanDisk HC multi-reader) it works and fast! (Write)Speeds from up to about 20MB/s down to not under 6MB/s. Just as it is rated for writing(Class 6). Read speeds are even higher. So the average write speed looks to be about like on the charts, at about 15MB/s. It now closes the files written out, without delay.

Folks, that is the largest (NDS) game file (128MB) or up to 4 of the smaller, in about 15 seconds. GBA's even faster, due to size. Tiny files instantly. I could write 53 average NDS files totaling about 3GB and do it in under 7 minutes.

It looks that this A-Data (6) 4GB MicroSDHC (w/SD card) can now sustain the minimum write speed that it is rated (Class 6) to do. The reports of it's demise were greatly exaggerated.
laugh.gif

Darn! This has been a time wasting experience. Not anymore.
smile.gif

Preliminary tests show conclusively, the reader/writer that my DSTT came with, does NOT perform fast (Micro)SDHC writes; to capacity. It also destabilizes your systems (universally). AKA, it hangs.

Note that I'm doing this on Kubuntu now, as I have had similar errors but better results under good or bad conditions with it.

I'll go test XP for you.

neogba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The XP tests are very interesting.

On the same computer and the same hardware (new reader), XP tanked. Specifically, It started OK and said it planned to write the whole 2.8GB to the flash in 7 minutes. At about 1/5 way through it stopped and gave an error message asking me to insert the card (that it had been writing).

Therefore: Perhaps it was the included DSTT reader and XP compatibility. Maybe the XP Hotfix for SDHC did more harm than good? One things for sure, without Kubuntu (open software OS on the same box) one would conclude, the flash card is definitely bad; when it isn't. No wonder we hear reports about bad A-Data cards.

Unless I have been unusually lucky, the SanDisk reader and A-Data 4GB (6) SDHC is working perfectly; while on Kubuntu(Two different Kubuntu running computers with USB 2.0). The only problem I had, was some previously written files needed an overwrite. Now all the files work on the DSTT. 60 of them nds files. I was able to take out the flash, pop it in the SD adapter and into the HC reader, then see it automatically show up and drag over the selected files, then put the flash back in the DSTT (has Flashme with no intro) and run them, in mere seconds. Less than a minute.

Verification test: Yep, using Kubuntu, I went back to the included DSTT reader/writer again; at the same USB 2.0 card that the new reader is plugged-in. It slowed to a crawl; just over half way through (128MB file). Then it "stalled", just before closing the written file. Then it kicked-out the mount on the card; requiring reinsertion. Same as before.

Whoa! Back with SanDisk writer, I overwrote the 128MB file and it was 18.9MB/s most of the couple of seconds it took to write it.

If you have a good 1GB or 2GB non-HC MicroSD flash and your read speed is fast, your max average write speed is at about 5MB/s, not 18MB/s average; (20MB/s peak with 6MB/s at "Class 6" minimum sustainable) so you might not notice the included DSTT reader/writer speed problem, only hangs(if yours does).

So what is yours doing on SDHC?????????????

neogba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK boys and girls. This is the second time that my flash card has gotten really hot (Maybe 120 degrees F) inside the crappy DSTT included reader/writer and I will not be using this reader again.

Please be advised.

I understand now that a non-SDHC reader will not work at all with SDHC (Micro or not). The DSTT reader is said to be SDHC compliant but mine hardly works and definitely not at speed (Over class 6 writes). Therefor I guess that the build quality is very poor on these readers and perhaps the have an over voltage problem because of it.

I have not read anyone say that they're are getting the measured and full write speed on a MicroSDHC card and without hangups while using the included DSTT reader.

noONE

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
The reader that came with DSTT worked very well for me with my 8GB microSD..
transfered about 4GB the first time i connected it, and sure, it became quite warm, but not HOT, and that is only normal ( also, it was very fast for me, i guess it took about 8-10min, and that includes a lot of small homebrew files,in directories, which takes quite some time to transfer due to their mass ammount of files with some homebrews)
still, from now on i am using the Sandisk card reader that came with the MicroSD , only because it looks nicer
tongue.gif

neogba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's good info. (yeah SG-1)

Funny thing happened to my well working flash in the new reader. I ran fatsort (Linux version) and thereafter, it only showed 12 out of 60 files (only in the DS) and it could not be repaired. Format again!

It is possible, the format was bad before I got the new reader and formating with the new reader, may be the best idea.

Note the Fatsort manual says...
QUOTE said:
Please note, that FATSort can damage your file system, if it is in a state of inconsistency! Use it with caution!

ADDENDUM: I found foldersort (a WIndows 98 program) and I use it in Kubuntu/WINE and it's perfect. Now everything is sorted and no trashing of the FAT system. It instantly uses regular file moves; while mounted. Not unmounted; FAT killing, direct hacking. It handles VFAT16 updates. AKA, long file names.

This time I used qtparted (In Kubuntu) to completely delete the partition(again); just in case. I then used the commands...
QUOTE said:
sudo fdisk -l...to determine that it was "d" with 1 partition, AKA "/dev/sdd1" and...
QUOTE said:
sudo umount /dev/sdd1
...to un-mount for formating but not remove /dev/sdd and finally...QUOTE
sudo mkfs.vfat -F 16 -n SDHC /dev/sdd1
...this forced 4GB to use FAT16(newer vfat). "SDHC" is the label.

EDIT: Finally, I switched back to FAT16. FAT32 helped not and slowed the menu too much. If you are over 4GB, You have to use FAT32 (if you want over 4GB in one partition).

4GB being in between, is was possible to format the new VFAT16 (FAT using certain format apps or command) with the larger clusters(to span the 4GB and this works well for large NDS files).

Perhaps this is a compatibility problem greater than just using FAT32 (on 4GB not 2GB). So perhaps it's best to format (V)FAT16 for 2GB and under and 4GB is either one. Over 4GB requires FAT32.

Plus in other news, 32GB may not be a true FAT32 limit, after all.

The problem I had with FAT32, is it was dog slow; in the menu paging on the DSTT. I formated FAT32 this time and will report how fast it is with a working reader, to format with. I know the DSTT is rated for FAT16 or FAT32. Like I said, maybe the DSTT itself, can't handle 4GB combined with (V)FAT16, though. EDIT: Nope, works fine.

I wrote 2.8GB of combined files to a directory on the newly FAT32 formatted flash drive. It took 5 1/32 minutes! If anything, that's faster, But it's probably because it's a clean drive(no reorganizing on the flash). Video play is ever so slightly choppier, but just barley noticeable. It's not a problem. The menu on the other hand stinks! It pauses 1 second between bring up the next files if it is below the page. It also take another second to boot, but it's still fast.

Here's the deal. HC flash is going to be over 4G (except for 4G which is kind in between). That's what HC means, it's bigger. Flash that's bigger than 4GB requires FAT32 (in one partition) and it's the current rendition of the DSTT card, that can not read it fast enough. Because my 4GB microSDHC has a verified faster read/write speed(true Class 6).

Therefore, if the firmware can not allow faster reading of FAT32, then the HC drives big enough to hold more games will be much to slow and uncomfortable to select the more numerous games.
frown.gif
Ugg!

Plus, trying to sort files on a computer (in reader)(fatsort), can trash your drive!
I highly recommend checking your FAT drive before attempting any sort. Always have backups. Two of them.

neogba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anybody getting a fast write and continuous good use on a HC class 6, 4GB card; inside the DSTT included reader?

retiredjerk

Trophies
XP
Country
The TT reader is total crap in my opinion. Forget the read and wite speeds, the design is total crap. First time i ever used it, i had to take it apart to get my microSD out. I still prefer the R4 reader since it can handle microSD HC. The M3 Real reader is good too. The DS one reader likes to fall apart on me sometimes.

Seina

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been having much success transferring files to my new Sandisk 8GB tonight. Instead of the DSTT reader I used the reader that came with my R4 from Realhotstuff because it always seems to work so well. I'm not sure what the transfer speed was, but in about a half hour I put a little over 2GB of files on it and it worked perfectly in my DSTT. The reader is microsd sized, white, black on the microsd end, and says "MicroSD USB 2.0" on the side.

neogba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I think you are right. That site with card reader speeds, shows it working pretty fast. All I know is, mine is definitely toast.

The question then becomes, how many are bad?

They may not care about quality control but it is a terrible waste of time!

neogba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If these things are hit and miss, perhaps we'd be better off with a discount and just the DSTT alone(no reader). This way, maybe we can better support the production of quality and fast HC readers, no matter where they come from.

Which HC "reader" works for you?

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The Kingston reader that came with my 2GB Kingston microSD card works great. I got them here (currently $15.99 with free shipping). That's about $1 more than the card itself, but well worth it.

-Bri

neogba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's great and thanks for the info.

I wonder if they go through a different quality process because it looks like the same reader (if it's the one I saw advertised with Kingston).

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have both, and they are similar but aren't the same. The Kingston is a bit sturdier and more importantly I imagine that the Kingston does go through a better quality control process.

-Bri

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"