DSTT in-house! Pics and first impressions

sepinho

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Awesome! I better haul my ass to work now... Oh wait, it costs 32USD.
That's a fairly good price, especially since it has a GBA Expansion Pack and SDHC support.

Be careful! The "Standard Version" at 16 Pounds does _not_ contain any Slot2 add-ons, it's just the Slot1 card. minionlinestore doesn't list a price for the "Deluxe Version" including GBA and Rumble/RAM yet.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
As someone else said the Ewin GBA loader works fine with the DSTT GBA pak. Grab it here.

No need to pre-patch GBA games at all, the GBA loader will do all that for you automatically. Works pretty well, just stick the loader on your card along with a few GBA games.

*edit* more details.

When first booting a GBA game the Ewin loader will load the game to the card then it will automatically patch the game then apply any save patches the game needs (it will auto-detect if it needs a patch or not). The second time you run the game it will just load the game to the card without going through all the patches as it's already done. It doesn't look like games can be kept on the GBA pak, they have to be loaded each time. Thankfully it's pretty quick loading. A 32mbit game loads in just a few seconds and a 128mbit game takes about 10.

Save files are written to the microSD card, no backing them up required when changing games and no fussing about. I'm really liking it so far.

IF the expansion cards are just the same as the Ewin ones, then you should be able to use them as ram expansion pack for QuakeDS
biggrin.gif
, Ewin doesn't keep the gba game in memory, so reloading it every time you boot is needed.

Anyway if there the same, then you can say that the expansion packs on there own are worth the money.
In my opinion, the ewin expansion packs are to less known and underrated on some sites.

Jdbye

Always Remember 30/07/08
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Looks like a nice cart, when they get all the features available, it may be a worthy competitor for R4.

brakken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if the TTDS/DSTT comes with the EWIN expansion packs there should be built in support in the OS to use the GBA one or at the least having the loader's files on the disc that comes with the unit. So far the disc comes with nothing for explaining the GBA cart nor does the OS do anything with it. From a customers point of view they would be left in the dark. From a reviewers point of view the parties distributing the flash carts should include support for it themselves. If I were to review each flash cart and include all of the additional software that is floating around the Internet you'd have a 300 page review. The TTDS/DSTT should come with support for it's included products - period.

Sinkhead

yay p1ngpong.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Call me shallow or ignorant, but I won't even consider this cart, simply because of the name.
It has nothing that other rival carts don't have, and it has a shit name.

Although, your judgment based on it's name is illogical you're right about the features. Heck, is has LESS features then most Slot 1 SDHC solutions on the market and in it's current form isn't even worth reviewing.
Less features? The only features it doesn't have (excluding GBA stuff) are an in-game menu, and a few features only the SCDS1 has like RTS, in-game walkthrough viewing and the ability to toggle individual cheats on/off in-game...

- Sam

ahtin

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
I have test over 500 games for DSTT, there are only one game have saving problem and ave been reported to DSTT Team

I'm guessing that's Contra 4. I can't get it to run. That's the only game I've found that has any troubles.

unsure.gif
I can play Contra 4 with cheat code, I have not play it without cheatcode supported becasue I cant go to chapter 3 even in easy mode lol

0667 - Me de Unou wo Kitaeru - DS Sokudoku Jutsu (JP) cant save.

also what I find is too much softreset will make the microSD card crash.

P.S: 8G microSDHC is launch in Hong Kong market

brakken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know how to convert the USRCHEAT.DAT to the normal R4 format? The DSTT seems to only use the normal R4 format (I checked it's header) not the secondary USRCHEAT.DAT.

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
- post edited, referral link

--dice
Yeah, they've got it, and it's hilarious that they link to this thread...
biggrin.gif

I'll have to snag one if/when they come with the GBA pack, as now I SHOULD have one good slot-1 going and caould afford to wait weeks for a new toy. (Ordered a SC DS1 SDHC this morning to use while my Evo gets shipped back...)

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Call me shallow or ignorant, but I won't even consider this cart, simply because of the name.
It has nothing that other rival carts don't have, and it has a shit name.

Although, your judgment based on it's name is illogical you're right about the features. Heck, is has LESS features then most Slot 1 SDHC solutions on the market and in it's current form isn't even worth reviewing.

What important features is it missing? It sounds like a very solid card to me..thanks for the info Opium!

Just remember flashcarts are meant for playing DS games. Seems like most of the 'features' on other slot1's are useless.

Cheat Support [X]
Download Play [?]
AutoDLDI [X]
Package able to play GBA games [X]

Those are the important features
tongue.gif

NonStopInTheMix

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
this is actually pretty funny, look at what this noob site emvee has to say about DSTT vs R4

http://www.emvee.ca/toptoy.php

R4DS: microSD compatible up to 4GB
Top Toy DS: microSDHC compatiable up to 4TB (4096GB)

^LAWL OWND
grog.gif

note: no this cart does not have 4 terabytes of spaces... if that happened we wouldnt need a topic like this discussing if this cart is good or not.. it woudla been flying off the shelves XD

qwertyasdf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
this is actually pretty funny, look at what this noob site emvee has to say about DSTT vs R4

http://www.emvee.ca/toptoy.php

R4DS: microSD compatible up to 4GB
Top Toy DS: microSDHC compatiable up to 4TB (4096GB)

^LAWL OWNDÂ
grog.gif

note: no this cart does not have 4 terabytes of spaces... if that happened we wouldnt need a topic like this discussing if this cart is good or not.. it woudla been flying off the shelves XD

What's wrong with what they're writing? They're simply saying, R4 is microSD compatible, which supports up to 4GB, whereas the TTDS supports microSDHC cards, which supports up to 4TB.. where's the confusion?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Deeze nuts