Hacking DSTT harware slow?

h8isgr8

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone else agree that the DSTT hardware is slow?

I have a pile of DSTT (some real, some fake, 1 DSTTi) and they are all painfully slow to create new saves and load some games. My R4 (non-sdhc) on the other hand creates saves very fast and also promptly loads the games that load slow on the DSTT.

Yes, they are both using the same kernel and YSMenu.

I just gave a bunch of DSTT out for xmas, now I think I will have to order some more R4 so I can trade out everyones slow DSTTs.

h8isgr8

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Crap, nevermind........

I think it's just the 4GB microSDHC cards I bought. That really sucks, I have 14 of them.

AnotherMuggle

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
h8isgr8 said:
Crap, nevermind........

I think it's just the 4GB microSDHC cards I bought. That really sucks, I have 14 of them.

Bummer, I feel for you mate.

I would have bought just one of the 4GB cards and tested it before going and buying a bulk lot.

h8isgr8

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tomjkear said:
Bummer, I feel for you mate.

I would have bought just one of the 4GB cards and tested it before going and buying a bulk lot.

The price was too good and I assumed they would work fine. Guess I was wrong.

The 4GB cards have a really poor read speed of ~11MB/s; the card in my R4 reads at ~17MB/s. That seems to make a HUGE difference in how fast the saves are created and how fast the games load.

h8isgr8

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, tried that. I think it just comes down to their slow read speed.

I wish it was standard to define the minimum read speed on the card like they do for the write speed. The "class" of the card (2,4,6) only defines the minimum write speed.

Hitcher

Trophies
XP
Country
Same problem here with the Kingston 4GB ones I've just brought - 2 minutes to boot a game.

The thing is they're class 4 whereas the Samsung 4Gb one I have with no speed problems is only a class 2.

h8isgr8

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hitcher said:
Same problem here with the Kingston 4GB ones I've just brought - 2 minutes to boot a game.

The thing is they're class 4 whereas the Samsung 4Gb one I have with no speed problems is only a class 2.

Well, like I kind of explained above, the class of the card has nothing to do with how fast it can be read. The read speed however seems to have a dramatic impact on how fast games load.

It's really kind of misleading, as I think most people assume the higher the class the faster the read speed.

WikipediaSD Cards and SDHC Cards have Speed Class Ratings defined by the SD Association. The SD Speed Class Ratings specify the following minimum write speeds based on "the best fragmented state where no memory unit is occupied":

Class 2: 2 MByte/s - 13x
Class 4: 4 MByte/s - 26x
Class 6: 6 MByte/s - 40x

AnotherMuggle

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
h8isgr8 said:
Hitcher said:

Well, like I kind of explained above, the class of the card has nothing to do with how fast it can be read. The read speed however seems to have a dramatic impact on how fast games load.

It's really kind of misleading, as I think most people assume the higher the class the faster the read speed.

WikipediaSD Cards and SDHC Cards have Speed Class Ratings defined by the SD Association. The SD Speed Class Ratings specify the following minimum write speeds based on "the best fragmented state where no memory unit is occupied":

Class 2: 2 MByte/s - 13x
Class 4: 4 MByte/s - 26x
Class 6: 6 MByte/s - 40x

h8isgr8 this is an interesting point to have raised as it is something I had initially overlooked. Having read a little more it seems the class of an SD card can be incredibly misleading. As well as the class reflecting the write speed of the card only, it seems that the class the manufacturer advertises the card at is not actually verified by an independent body. Presumably this would mean some manufacturers are classifying a card as ClassX when it JUST meets the requirements whilst another may classify their card as the same class when it EASILY meets the requirements. On top of this, I guess it's possible that a manufacturer could advertise a card in a class that it falls miserably short of.

lukands

I took the little bus here
Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
I have used alot of Kingston 4gb cards but the last couple have really been slow, never have I before noticed a difference between the 2gb and 4gb read speed.
The write speed seems to be about the same but the read speed is real slow loading games.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i had just posted about this yesterday. i have a 4gb kingston class 4 that takes about 2 minutes to load some games. but some very few games it loads just fine so i don't think it is just write/read speeds. anyway, i returned it

lukands

I took the little bus here
Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
nando said:
i had just posted about this yesterday. i have a 4gb kingston class 4 that takes about 2 minutes to load some games. but some very few games it loads just fine so i don't think it is just write/read speeds. anyway, i returned it
Thats exactly whats happening to me, but I think I`m stuck with the cards "All sales final" on my receipt

h8isgr8

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Out of the three brands of cards I own (A-Data, Toshiba, TOPRAM), the TOPRAM (2GB class 2) has the highest read speed of ~17MB/s and loads games extremely fast.

I was looking at some 4GB TOPRAM cards on ebay and the seller has a speed test showing them read at ~19MB/s. I think I might purchase some of those and try to unload some of these slow Toshiba.

Jacinto009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, at least you gave them out. Despite the fact that they're so slow, I think the people who got it will appreciate your gifts to them.

basher11

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
lukands said:
While we are talking about microSD cards, anybody use SanDisk
I bought a SanDisk 1GB a few years back (when 1GB was ~$70) and it's worked perfectly fine for me.

Damn thats expensive XD

i use a Sandisk, 2GB. it came free with my r4
tongue.gif

still works perfectly.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
basher11 said:
twiztidsinz said:
I bought a SanDisk 1GB a few years back (when 1GB was ~$70) and it's worked perfectly fine for me.
Damn thats expensive XD

tongue.gif

still works perfectly.
Tell me about it... My R4 cost me $55ish + Shipping.
A month later, my friend bought an M3 Real w/ GBA + RAM + Rumble packs for $60 including shipping.

999 is like 666 upside down
biggrin.gif

basher11

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
basher11 said:
twiztidsinz said:
Damn thats expensive XD

tongue.gif

still works perfectly.
Tell me about it... My R4 cost me $55ish + Shipping.
A month later, my friend bought an M3 Real w/ GBA + RAM + Rumble packs for $60 including shipping.

999 is like 666 upside down
biggrin.gif

my r4 cost me $14.85. with free shipping and free SD card. thats what i call a sick deal.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/22tVWwmTie8?si=2CEDZldUW5ODozYh meh