DSTT Data Corrupting

Discussion in 'DSTT' started by AK8, Oct 1, 2008.

Oct 1, 2008

DSTT Data Corrupting by AK8 at 11:34 PM (1,612 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. AK8
    OP

Newcomer AK8 Member

Canada
    Hello,

I recently bought two DSTTs and I noticed that my data has been corrupting every now and then and this has happened on different ROMS. Just wondering, are my cards defective? Does anyone have any solution to my problem? Is it my MicroSD card?

-AK8

2. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Are you by chance not using the "safely remove hardware" option to remove the microSD card from your PC?

Are your ROMs by chance on the root of your microSD card (if so, make a "games" folder and put all your .nds files there)?

Is your microSD card nearly full (if so, remove a game or two -- you need some room for save files)?

Are you using the crappy microSD reader that comes with the DSTT (if so, try using a different reader and see if that makes a difference)?

-Bri

3. AK8
    OP

Newcomer AK8 Member

Canada
    Well, to be more specific the data corrupts when I save sometimes.

Um... Yes, I use the safely remove hardware option, I have my games in a folder on the cars, My microSD card is 2gb and I keep it about half full at all times, and that crappy microSD reader that came with the DSTT gave me a lot of problems so I had to switch to using an SD card reader and use the SD adapter that came with the microSD card.

Can anybody tell me what the problem could be?

Thanks,
    -AK8

4. Bri

United States
    It's possible that your microSD card isn't making good contact with your DSTT.

-Bri

5. Count Duckula

Member Count Duckula .

Australia
    Do you have another microsd you could try using for a while? Its possible a dodgy fake card could give you random corruption.

Bri's idea sounds quite likely. If you tap/bang the ds a bit while its playing a video though moonshell (so you know its constantly accessing the card), does it ever freeze?

6. AK8
    OP

Newcomer AK8 Member

Canada
    Well, I got this card not too long ago and I never bothered messing around with moonshell.

I have two DSTT cards that both have this problem so I know for sure that it's not the microSD.

I'm guessing that this is what happens when DX screws you over with a fake DSTT. This sucks considering that DX is now selling real ones even cheaper now.

Hmm... Maybe I'll try ordering one off of a different site or maybe I'll just go with a different card.

Thanks for your help,

-AK8

7. Bri

United States
    Dealextreme should replace yours with a real one if you indicate that yours aren't working properly. You can also offer to send them a photo of yours showing the gold dot or other features of the fake. Dealextreme generally pays return shipping if you receive something that doesn't work properly.

-Bri

8. AK8
    OP

Newcomer AK8 Member

Canada
    I emailed Dx, and it looks like they'll replace it. [​IMG]

9. Bri

United States
    Hopefully that will solve your problem. Otherwise, you may have a bad microSD card, you've formatted it incorrectly, or you're doing something else wrong.

Either way, you'll still want to replace your fakes for real DSTT's since we don't know if upcoming firmware will destroy fake DSTT's as Team NDSTT has threatened it will.

-Bri

10. lolzed

Member lolzed The GBAtemp Pichu

Philippines
    probably a fake...where did you buy it anyway?

11. cracker

Member cracker Nyah!

United States
    I just have to add my 2 cents to this thread...

It's possible it is a fake but it's also possible that it is just a flaky legit DSTT. Or just a contact problem that I have seen in various Slot 1 and Slot 2 carts (varying from GBA to GBA or DS to DS).

Anyways I'm glad you're getting a replacement but won't the S&H back to them be almost the cost of the DSTT? [​IMG]

12. Bri

United States
    If a flash cart doesn't work, dealextreme.com pays return shipping.

-Bri