DSReader compatibility with AK2i on 1.4U DSi

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by ohaythar, Aug 20, 2009.

Aug 20, 2009
  1. ohaythar
    OP

Newcomer ohaythar Newbie

Canada
    So I just upgraded my AK2i with the 1.4 firmware patch, and everything looked like it was going fine.

That is, until I tried DSReader, which was assuredly working before the update.

All I get now is blank screens.

This only happens with DSReader. After testing a number of other homebrew and games, I found that they all worked perfectly. Only DSReader is having problems, so I'm a little apprehensive about formatting (making a backup of an 8 Gb card is TEDIOUS)

I tried to replace the DSReader.nds with a file from another source, tried deleting/replacing the .dat files, folders, etc. Nothing.

So I ask, am I doing something wrong? Was there an update for DSReader I'm unaware of? Was there an extra component of the AK2i patch? A new version of AKAIO?

HALP

2. PettingZoo

Member PettingZoo yesss

Australia
    Try running DSReader through DSOrganise.

3. ohaythar
    OP

Newcomer ohaythar Newbie

Canada
    Thanks for the suggestion, but on a DSi, DSOrganize is essentially crippled i.e. I don't think I can access the browser (is that dependent on touch screen access?)

I did try running it with Moonshell 2.04 though. No results.

4. GreatZimkogway

Member GreatZimkogway Touhou Fanatic

United States
    Can you give me a link to whatever version you're using? I'll attempt it on my Acekard as well, since I have the updated one.

5. ohaythar
    OP

Newcomer ohaythar Newbie

Canada
    Hey shinkukage09, I've been using the generic version in the GBATemp archives: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=797

It worked fine in the pre-1.4 patched AK2i, so the problem is definitely caused by the update.

My AKAIO and Acekard loaders were all up to date (to my knowledge), so those should be fine.

6. GreatZimkogway

United States
    Well, give me a little bit and I'll test it out, and see if I can't find the problem.

EDIT: Seems it DOESN'T work. I'll keep trying, see if I can figure out why. Until then, we still need answers.

7. ohaythar
    OP

Newcomer ohaythar Newbie

Canada
    Thanks Shinkukage09, I guess this offers evidence to the worst.

This is both unfortunate and incredibly random, that an update would choose to offhandedly block one, single piece of homebrew.

Honestly, I hope it gets a fix from the Acekard team, or Eddie Park decides to release an update. DSReader is literally one of the few good text readers that actually reads .txt, instead of having to convert 63mb of books to .xml....

Is this a widespread problem? I'd like to think DSReader is a fairly popular application, and that many people will be dismayed at being unable to read their favorite books on the bus.

8. GreatZimkogway

United States
    Just so you know, akAIO's plugin .txt reader is actually quite nice too. You hold the DS like a book and press on the D-pad to change pages.

9. ohaythar
    OP

Newcomer ohaythar Newbie

Canada
    Nah, I know about it. It's just that I like true type font support and anti-aliasing, and a smooth scrolling gui. It doesn't have that mildly yet annoyingly warped text on the DSi screen that the Moonshell 2 text plugin seems to have, and it's smoother than Readmore.

I guess I'm also too lazy to do .xml conversion, so there's that.

If this is a widespread enough problem, I have my fingers crossed for some kind of solution.

10. mtech

Newcomer mtech Newbie

Singapore
    Just for your info, the problem is not with AceKard. It is with the DSi 1.4U update. I use exactly the same AceKard and it works fine in my DS (Phat).

11. luke...95

Newcomer luke...95 Newbie

United Kingdom
    what is the new patch, where can i get it and how do i install it onto my acekard???

thanks

12. crazyfffan

Newcomer crazyfffan Member

New Zealand
    Same experience, but its not because of the card or the version of the kernel. I failed to run DSreader in AKAIO 1.5.1 (newest kernel) for Acekard 2i on DSi, but it worked perfectly when the whole flashcard+TF card are plugged into a DS lite.

So the question here is: Does it work with another flashcard like R4i, EZ, or DSTT. If it does, so there must be a way to fix it by waiting and upgrading the next kernel.

13. GreatZimkogway

United States
    Still a strange problem...I've yet to encounter any problem like this on any other ROM or homebrew...

14. Masked Ranger

Member Masked Ranger GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Antarctica
    Runs fine for me on AK2 using AKAIO 1.5.1. Only complaint is that I want something that I can scroll line-by-line as well as pages. Took me a few to figure out that I can have 3 bookmarks per document. The app needed an FAQ. Ok, one complant and one suggestion.

15. NorikoChijinu

Newcomer NorikoChijinu Newbie

United States
    Reviving a an old thread (sorry!) but I am getting the exact same thing, but it seems only my DSi cannot read it. I am running Acekard v17 and the DSReader works perfectly on my DSlite but when I switch my card to my DSi, I get a white screen.

Had anyone been able to fix this?

16. Mr Wendal

Newcomer Mr Wendal Newbie

United States
    I found a crazy workaround.
    1) Get DScrawl, a homebrew game: http://errabes.free.fr/pogo2/ (download link is dscrawl_dldi-b1)
    2) Put it on your flash card
    3) run crawl.nds on your DS
    4) soft reset
    5) run DSreader.nds

And it works for some reason

17. oceangoyo

Newcomer oceangoyo Member

United States
    so whatever happened with this? been go thru threads trying to figure out if there is a decent txt reader for my dsi and I hit this thread. Does anyone know if there was a fix for this problem or not?