Hacking DSReader compatibility with AK2i on 1.4U DSi

ohaythar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I just upgraded my AK2i with the 1.4 firmware patch, and everything looked like it was going fine.

That is, until I tried DSReader, which was assuredly working before the update.

All I get now is blank screens.

This only happens with DSReader. After testing a number of other homebrew and games, I found that they all worked perfectly. Only DSReader is having problems, so I'm a little apprehensive about formatting (making a backup of an 8 Gb card is TEDIOUS)

I tried to replace the DSReader.nds with a file from another source, tried deleting/replacing the .dat files, folders, etc. Nothing.

So I ask, am I doing something wrong? Was there an update for DSReader I'm unaware of? Was there an extra component of the AK2i patch? A new version of AKAIO?

HALP

ohaythar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the suggestion, but on a DSi, DSOrganize is essentially crippled i.e. I don't think I can access the browser (is that dependent on touch screen access?)

I did try running it with Moonshell 2.04 though. No results.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, give me a little bit and I'll test it out, and see if I can't find the problem.

EDIT: Seems it DOESN'T work. I'll keep trying, see if I can figure out why. Until then, we still need answers.

ohaythar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks Shinkukage09, I guess this offers evidence to the worst.

This is both unfortunate and incredibly random, that an update would choose to offhandedly block one, single piece of homebrew.

Honestly, I hope it gets a fix from the Acekard team, or Eddie Park decides to release an update. DSReader is literally one of the few good text readers that actually reads .txt, instead of having to convert 63mb of books to .xml....

Is this a widespread problem? I'd like to think DSReader is a fairly popular application, and that many people will be dismayed at being unable to read their favorite books on the bus.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just so you know, akAIO's plugin .txt reader is actually quite nice too. You hold the DS like a book and press on the D-pad to change pages.

ohaythar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nah, I know about it. It's just that I like true type font support and anti-aliasing, and a smooth scrolling gui. It doesn't have that mildly yet annoyingly warped text on the DSi screen that the Moonshell 2 text plugin seems to have, and it's smoother than Readmore.

I guess I'm also too lazy to do .xml conversion, so there's that.

If this is a widespread enough problem, I have my fingers crossed for some kind of solution.

mtech

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Just for your info, the problem is not with AceKard. It is with the DSi 1.4U update. I use exactly the same AceKard and it works fine in my DS (Phat).

crazyfffan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Same experience, but its not because of the card or the version of the kernel. I failed to run DSreader in AKAIO 1.5.1 (newest kernel) for Acekard 2i on DSi, but it worked perfectly when the whole flashcard+TF card are plugged into a DS lite.

So the question here is: Does it work with another flashcard like R4i, EZ, or DSTT. If it does, so there must be a way to fix it by waiting and upgrading the next kernel.

Masked Ranger

Trophies
XP
Country
Runs fine for me on AK2 using AKAIO 1.5.1. Only complaint is that I want something that I can scroll line-by-line as well as pages. Took me a few to figure out that I can have 3 bookmarks per document. The app needed an FAQ. Ok, one complant and one suggestion.

NorikoChijinu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reviving a an old thread (sorry!) but I am getting the exact same thing, but it seems only my DSi cannot read it. I am running Acekard v17 and the DSReader works perfectly on my DSlite but when I switch my card to my DSi, I get a white screen.

Had anyone been able to fix this?

oceangoyo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so whatever happened with this? been go thru threads trying to figure out if there is a decent txt reader for my dsi and I hit this thread. Does anyone know if there was a fix for this problem or not?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That boy yo