Homebrew DSLinux and my attempts

Just_A_Musician

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heres the plan, and yall feel free to tell me if I'm a total acorn for thinking this'll work (I'm new so a nudge in the right direction is appreciated)

I'm gonna start off with an old pawner NDS (or 3) and load DSLinux to it. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but this acts as a Linux launcher/EMU? If it does, theoretically, I could pull a Linux copy of Undertale, and run it there.

The only problem I can forsee is RAM issues, but again, buying junkers so if I NEED to mod hardware, I can... or attempt to anyways...

It might also come down to just loading the source code and running it in chunks? (Is that even possible?)

Help? Thanks y'all, 'preciate any help you can offer!

Just_A_Musician

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heres the plan, and yall feel free to tell me if I'm a total acorn for thinking this'll work (I'm new so a nudge in the right direction is appreciated)

I'm gonna start off with an old pawner NDS (or 3) and load DSLinux to it. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but this acts as a Linux launcher/EMU? If it does, theoretically, I could pull a Linux copy of Undertale, and run it there.

The only problem I can forsee is RAM issues, but again, buying junkers so if I NEED to mod hardware, I can... or attempt to anyways...

It might also come down to just loading the source code and running it in chunks? (Is that even possible?)

Help? Thanks y'all, 'preciate any help you can offer!

Forgot to mention, I'm running Homebrew Launcher, HiyaCFW, and TWiLight. If that makes a difference...

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
DS Linux is the same as PC Linux in the same way Windows Phone is a version of Windows.

You have no chance of it running Undertale short of porting it yourself, and if you are making that kind of leap at the start there you are not likely going to be doing that any time soon.

Reactions: Kwyjor

Just_A_Musician

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DS Linux is the same as PC Linux in the same way Windows Phone is a version of Windows.

You have no chance of it running Undertale short of porting it yourself, and if you are making that kind of leap at the start there you are not likely going to be doing that any time soon.

Noted. Know of any easier wasy of starting then?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Noted. Know of any easier wasy of starting then?
Give up. Buy a full fat tablet, netbook or whatever and play that instead. If they ported it to something else like android then if that is easier do that instead.

Emulation is an option for some things but your little 66Mhz DS with 4 megs of RAM is not going to be emulating a vaguely modern PC in real time.

Porting games without source code is one of the harder things you might do -- there is a reason https://osgameclones.com/ has very few games and most of those are games the developers released the source code to. Undertale is one of the better games for such treatment; mechanically and graphically speaking it is quite simple and thus more amenable to the likes of the rip the assets and remake the gameplay from play than say a RTS game. However it is still a seriously involved project to do that for the PC, to then have to go port it to the DS (which by this point would be a thoroughly dead console -- the reason GBA, DS, xbox and to some extent the Wii homebrew was so active was because they represented the best options for the time, today we have easy PCs, phones, raspberry pis and whatever else that are far more powerful and far more open).

Just_A_Musician

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Give up. Buy a full fat tablet, netbook or whatever and play that instead. If they ported it to something else like android then if that is easier do that instead.

Emulation is an option for some things but your little 66Mhz DS with 4 megs of RAM is not going to be emulating a vaguely modern PC in real time.

Porting games without source code is one of the harder things you might do -- there is a reason https://osgameclones.com/ has very few games and most of those are games the developers released the source code to. Undertale is one of the better games for such treatment; mechanically and graphically speaking it is quite simple and thus more amenable to the likes of the rip the assets and remake the gameplay from play than say a RTS game. However it is still a seriously involved project to do that for the PC, to then have to go port it to the DS (which by this point would be a thoroughly dead console -- the reason GBA, DS, xbox and to some extent the Wii homebrew was so active was because they represented the best options for the time, today we have easy PCs, phones, raspberry pis and whatever else that are far more powerful and far more open).

All of those are fair points actually... I forgot that the game runs off previous decisions, and that alone would just chew through the RAM I have left, wouldnt it? Well, worth a shot I suppose...

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If I'm not mistaken, DSLinux is one of the few things that can make use of the DS RAM expansion (originally included with the DS Web browser, but much more easily obtained in the form of the EZFlash 3-in-1). But that still isn't going to make porting something like Undertale even remotely easy.

I haven't heard of anyone ever doing something practical with DSLinux. It's more of a novelty than anything else.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I haven't heard of anyone ever doing something practical with DSLinux. It's more of a novelty than anything else.

It had a few things it did well -- its browser was text based but did better than others for a lot of things, had a nice file system check/restore that eventually got ported out to standalone, being Linux also allowed you... Linux (or at least the packages it had available) which I did see used in proper anger even before phones, netbooks, tablets (PDAs were long dead at this point) caught up and allowed nicer portable options for checking networks and what have you..

Reactions: Itzumi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lDRjqI-fBVI&pp=ygUPVml0Z2luIG1hZ2ljaWFu