Hacking DSision2...

Boriar

Trophies
XP
Country
spinal_cord said:
You have DSision+ysmenu working properly on AK2? All I get is white screens when trying to load a game!

Yes, all running fine.
I think that some problems can solved if the autoboot was writen not only in ysmenu.ini on the root but also in ysmenu.ini into the ysmenu folder.
YSmenu can use the ini file in both places. First look in his folder and if there is not ini here look into the root.
DSision only use the root place but when YSmenu use the akloader it only try to use the one in the folder (where akloader is put).

That's for microSD non HC. For microSD SDHC i seriously think that the problem is from YSMenu, not DSision2, because frozen on loading ysmenu and DSision load homebrew without any problem.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Boriar said:
For microSD SDHC i seriously think that the problem is from YSMenu, not DSision2, because frozen on loading ysmenu and DSision load homebrew without any problem.
Does anyone speak Japanese then
huh.gif
& can they let Yasu know about this
rofl2.gif

As IMHO DSision & YSMenu make a great combination compared to offical DSTT firmware

As for both launching Homebrew OK - I believe that's because each uses it's own way of launching W/O using the other for help [Perhap Spinal can confirm this], but when doing ROMS DSision & YSmenu have to work together & that's where I think the problem lies - especially when used on SDHC cards.

The problem is finding out EXACTLY why YSmenu doesn't bootup correctly - Is there a software/memory conflict or something to do with SDHC format structure or something completely different

Tys

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've installed DSision on my brothers DSTT and he really likes it. Good work Spinal
biggrin.gif

But I had a question, does someone know a place where all the boxart of ds games is stored? I want to see the boxart of each game in the top screen.

sacha78580

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Boxarts are at Dsison/Covers if i remember ,they have to be in .bmp and resized and finally you'll have to rename them like this:
The Game example: Nintendogs.nds
The covres game : Nintendogs.nds.bmp

You should ask to delete your 4 post (sames) click report
wink.gif

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Tys said:
I've installed DSision on my brothers DSTT and he really likes it. Good work Spinal
biggrin.gif

But I had a question, does someone know a place where all the boxart of ds games is stored? I want to see the boxart of each game in the top screen.
Are you asking where DSision stores it's Boxart or are you asking where you can get boxart for DSision to use ??
> If it's where does DSision store it's boxart - see above post

> If it boxart for DSision to use - try This download as this contains ~3000 boxarts - the only problem is that you'll need to rename them (as mentioned in above post) as they are listed as their ROM number in this file

For commercial ROMS that are not included - pop along to any DS game review website (a couple such as http://uk.ds.ign.com/ or http://uk.gamespot.com/), search for the game in question & you'll usually see a boxart picture somewhere on the review page - Just right-click & 'save as' to your computer, then convert it using your favorite art package to a 128 x 115 bmp file, then copy it into the 'DSision/covers' folder on your flashcard

For any homebrew which usually doesn't have any boxart - try making your own up, just make sure they're 128x115 pixel size

You can used this template
boxarttemplatedn3.png

EDIT: Just did a search & found a site @ http://www.vgboxart.com/browse/plat/DS/ with Homemade Boxart that you could use

Another Edit: You can also copy boxart from GBATemp [Release] forum

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
OP
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
Jester: I will have to release a new update soon as a couple of bugs have appeared recently. During the switch between sources DSision no longer reads the ini files 100% correctly, easy to fix, also, I will remove DS slider control option as it is sending the rumble pak absolutely mental.

Boriar

Trophies
XP
Country
spinal_cord said:
Jester: I will have to release a new update soon as a couple of bugs have appeared recently. During the switch between sources DSision no longer reads the ini files 100% correctly, easy to fix, also, I will remove DS slider control option as it is sending the rumble pak absolutely mental.
With slider control do you refers to the scroll bar at botton (please no!) or slide with stylus?
And when you return the GBA support?
bow.gif
All gba games that i use haven't got any problem to load and run. It's out from 8feb09, the last build with gba support.
I thought that it was only for the neo compo.
cry.gif

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Boriar said:
spinal_cord said:
With slider control do you refers to the scroll bar at botton (please no!) or slide with stylus?
And when you return the GBA support?
bow.gif
All gba games that i use haven't got any problem to load and run. It's out from 8feb09, the last build with gba support.
I thought that it was only for the neo compo.
cry.gif

i think he means the actual ds slider hardware - a thing which goes in GBA slot and works like an optical mouse i.e. you move it over a surface and it scrolls. It was only ever used for one Japanese game which it came bundled with. Dont worry, i dont think hes removing any stylus control or the scrool bar at bottom.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Just downloaded latest version [DSision2_26_April_09.rar] & I guess Spinal still hasn't figured out the SDHC problem 'cos it still doesn't work

It also still doesn't seem to remember what theme/option I've selected as it keeps going back to 'Ipod' theme on - switch on
[Seems like I still have to stick with Moonshell2 for now]

Anyway - keep up the good work Spinal

Boriar

Trophies
XP
Country
kermitfrog said:
Just downloaded latest version [DSision2_26_April_09.rar] & I guess Spinal still hasn't figured out the SDHC problem 'cos it still doesn't work

It also still doesn't seem to remember what theme/option I've selected as it keeps going back to 'Ipod' theme on - switch on
[Seems like I still have to stick with Moonshell2 for now]

Anyway - keep up the good work Spinal

I agreed with all you say.
Have you try to run ysmenu on sdhc? I always get an "rom loading problen. Can't load ttmenu.sys" even if it have created it at the moment of loading rom. All ok on non-SDHC.
About AK2, i don't know why but if i use the ysmenu.ini on root roms don't load, but all go well if i use ysmenu.ini on /ysmenu directory (of course manually, dsision2 can't use that, and with non-SDHC).
In theory ysmenu can load all his files whatever they were put (several directories are look) but in practice faill to load akloader from one directory and ini from other (almost in my try and error).
With the remember options problem, many times DSision2 delete my ini or fill with newer options repeatd.

EDIT: When ysmenu is used as a firmware replacement, load ndsrom normaly even on SDHC. What's happen here?????

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Boriar said:
Have you try to run ysmenu on sdhc? I always get an "rom loading problen. Can't load ttmenu.sys" even if it have created it at the moment of loading rom. All ok on non-SDHC.
Yes I have tried YSMenu on SDHC, on a DSTTi (looks like you are using an AK2) as a replacment firmware & it loaded ROMs & Homebrew OK with no problems,however I'm currently using Moonshell2 with YSmenu as it offers an all-in-one solution for playing Video/Music/Read text/View pictures/Play games

The problem between DSision & YSmenu is that somehow, somewhere either YSMenu doesn't like to boot up ROMS if it's ini file is altered by DSision2 or DSision is not starting up YSmenu 'properly' - but this only happens on SDHC cards.
Throughout this post there's been many attempts to figure out what the problem is with the 'DSisions/Ysmenu/SDHC' combo - but so far no luck.

Boriar

Trophies
XP
Country
kermitfrog said:
Yes I have tried YSMenu on SDHC, on a DSTTi (looks like you are using an AK2) as a replacment firmware & it loaded ROMs & Homebrew OK with no problems,however I'm currently using Moonshell2 with YSmenu as it offers an all-in-one solution for playing Video/Music/Read text/View pictures/Play games

The problem between DSision & YSmenu is that somehow, somewhere either YSMenu doesn't like to boot up ROMS if it's ini file is altered by DSision2 or DSision is not starting up YSmenu 'properly' - but this only happens on SDHC cards.
No, no. When you use YSmenu like firmware replacement there is not problem in any case. The problem is when you run it from other firmware like a homebrew on SDHC.
Try booting on DSTTi firmware and run YSmenu, then load a ndsrom. I have get the same error on AK2, AKrpg and SCDSOne, so if YSmenu don't run well it's not posible that DSision2 run well.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Boriar said:
No, no. When you use YSmenu like firmware replacement there is not problem in any case. The problem is when you run it from other firmware like a homebrew on SDHC.
Try booting on DSTTi firmware and run YSmenu, then load a ndsrom. I have get the same error on AK2, AKrpg and SCDSOne, so if YSmenu don't run well it's not posible that DSision2 run well.
If I understand you right then this is what you mean

& although I didn't mention it on the video - this is on a Sandisk 8Gb Class 2 SDHC

Boriar

Trophies
XP
Country
Wow, a very professional video!!!
yay.gif

Yes, this is what i said. So, i don't know what's happend with my flashcarts.
Can you explain me what fat and cluster have you used?

HEY! One moment!!!!
I have boot my DSOne into DSTT firmware (multiboot) and then loaded YSMenu and try to run ndsrom and WORK PERFECTLY
blink.gif

I have changed my mind about that problem ---> Yasu have blocked his firmware to only run from himself (firmware replacement) or from DSTT (the firmware that it's supposed to replace originally). Don't you think the same?

EDIT: I think that it's true. Boot in DSTT-->run DSision2-->run ndsrom-->ALL RIGHT! and all with a 8gb SDHC. I can't do the same from any other firmware (by now).

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Boriar said:
Wow, a very professional video!!!
yay.gif
Is it ?!?! - All I did was put text on top of what I videoed (with a still camera 'cos my brother borrowed my Video camera) & added the tune
QUOTE said:
Yes, this is what i said. So, i don't know what's happend with my flashcarts.
Can you explain me what fat and cluster have you used?I'm not sure what cluster size it is - all I can tell you is that it's fat32 (8Gb SDHC cards cannot be formatted to just 'fat' although I think 4Gb can) & I always use the Panasonic Formatter to format my cards instead of WindowsXp.
Boot in DSTT-->run DSision2-->run ndsrom-->ALL RIGHT!
I'm puzzled over that - was the 'ndsrom' a homebrew or a commercial ? - cos I'm sure that you need YSMenu to run commercial ROMS but you havn't mentioned that.

EDITED: I've just tried latest DSision & DSTT firmware w/o YSmenu & it doesn't load anything - homebrew OR ROMS,if I then add YSmenu & tried again - All I get is 2 white screens

If Spinal can find out the differences between how the DSOne (I'm guessing that's the card you used for it to work) & the DSTTi access a SDHC card then perhaps the problem can be fixed

Vampirex

Dhampir
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've gotten this to work on my acekard 2. Cool GUI. Im not gonna install Ysmenu for commercial roms tho, cuz I already use Moonshell 2 (akaio loader) for that. Ysmenu is slow compared to akaio loader. If this supports AKAIO loader one day, i might switch to this XD

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Vampirex said:
I've gotten this to work on my acekard 2. Cool GUI. Im not gonna install Ysmenu for commercial roms tho, cuz I already use Moonshell 2 (akaio loader) for that. Ysmenu is slow compared to akaio loader. If this supports AKAIO loader one day, i might switch to this XD
I believe - although someone will most probably correct me - that AKAIO is the 'alternative' Acekard firmware while 'YSMenu' is the alternative DSTT firmware - so naturally YSmenu will be slower since it wasn't developed for the AK, just modifed to work with it.

I guess if AKAIO could be modified for DSTT - I bet that would be slower than YSMenu

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Now go take a shower @BakerMan . Phew +1